Thread: Newbie question...Advice needed

Default Newbie question...Advice needed

Hi gurus...
    I'm newbie in photography and having a D70s with kitlens..
    I've one problem when i take full picture of people it's getting distorted. Can you please advice me that where should i've to aim for getting correct size picture,I mean aim on belly as centre will help me or not?
    I've reasonable height also.
    Will it create such problem?

Default Re: Newbie question...Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by paroos
    Hi gurus...
    I've one problem when i take full picture of people it's getting distorted. Can you please advice me that where should i've to aim for getting correct size picture,I mean aim on belly as centre will help me or not?
    what u mean by distorted?

Are you referring to you taking pics where you are standing and people sitting?

Some pics would be good.

no friends..What i mean is when me and my objects are standing up i can feel bit distorted..
    I felt that it's not in the correct propotion.So if i bent a bit will help me or just aim the centre in the waist line of the objects will help or not

can you show some shot so we can understand it better.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously.

If I understand yr question correctly...
    u want to take full length of people shots, assuming the ppl is standing in front of u, and assuming u shoot at 17-30mm focal length, for beginners, I suggest u move yourself further away, and put the people in the centre of the frame (not at the side), then position the chest at about 2/3 up, u should get a no-distortion people shot.
    After that, u can experiment to put the people at the side of the frame, and see the distortion.

Hi gurus...
    Do you mean barrel distortion? Kit lens are not known for its quality so I won't be surprise to see barrel distortion. You can find more info here on barrel distortion and how to fix it on photoshop. I'm sure you won't want to keep framing your subjects at the centre with your camera.

no friends..What i mean is when me and my objects are standing up i can feel bit distorted..
    I felt that it's not in the correct propotion.So if i bent a bit will help me or just aim the centre in the waist line of the objects will help or not
    Have a look at the section entitled "Viewpoint" on this web page (about 2/3 of the way down). Is this what you are talking about?

http://photoinf.com/General/Geoff_La...mposition.html

I second Astin's recommendation for a start (of course, posting some pics here would be helpful).

Choose a focal length of approx. 30-50mm (FF eq of 45-75mm) for a start for a normal perspective (assuming you have room to move back).

By the way, the kit lens of the D70S is quite good if you avoid the extremes.