View Poll Results: Which brand is more reliable

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maxtor (1 year)

    2 5.00%
  • Maxtor (2 years)

    1 2.50%
  • Maxtor (3 years)

    2 5.00%
  • Maxtor (4 years and above)

    9 22.50%
  • IBM / Hitachi (1 year)

    0 0%
  • IBM / Hitachi (2 years)

    1 2.50%
  • IBM / Hitachi (3 years)

    4 10.00%
  • IBM / Hitachi (4 years and above)

    5 12.50%
  • Seagate (1 Year)

    2 5.00%
  • Seagate (2 Years)

    0 0%
  • Seagate (3 Years)

    1 2.50%
  • Seagate (4 Years and above)

    5 12.50%
  • WD (1 year)

    1 2.50%
  • WD (2 years)

    0 0%
  • WD (3 years and above)

    7 17.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

  1. #1

    Default Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    as above

    the brand followed by no of years in (bracket) means use for how long before the HD died.
    Last edited by dennislim; 15th March 2006 at 04:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Since I cannot vote...my views regarding HD's in general.

    I've had nice experiences with Maxtor. Before that I always used those IBM's, but they all died fast on me.

    I did notice however that HD's and USB devices don't go well together. I've had three Maxtors die on me in just over 2 years, all used in USB brackets (different ones too). I think the manufactors could do better....

    Got a couple of 200GB's maxtor right now...they work ok in the pc

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Seagate.... longest warranty period... last longest too...


    See them gobbling up all the rest... except Hitachi lah... too big to gobble...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    I got WD, Hitachi & Maxtor in my 2 comp for around 3 or more years.
    Just before the IT Show, 1 pc 3 year plus old Maxtor 80GB give way.
    Bought a Seagate 300GB SATAII to replace it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    The moment the hdd hits 2 years, I will just rma it even its working. Why? Wear and tear, I just need to say the hdd is noisy

    Only using WD + Segate

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    wow ... haa ... more votes pls =P
    come come vote hee ... wanna decide which brand to try out lolz

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    .. nah i prefer to look at the model, instead of the brand..
    all hdd die..

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    don't leave the destiny of your data to statistical probability, use RAID or shadow folders.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Support the idea . Raid is the way to go especially if data gets huge and unmanageable. After fiddling with external storage, internal HD, backup etc I finally get a raid system and now have no worries of data backups and HD problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    don't leave the destiny of your data to statistical probability, use RAID or shadow folders.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Support the idea . Raid is the way to go especially if data gets huge and unmanageable. After fiddling with external storage, internal HD, backup etc I finally get a raid system and now have no worries of data backups and HD problem.
    the problem is u got to use 2 identical hd ...
    if 1 failes there is another one to save u ... but if u are making raid again u got to find another identical hd if not ... buy 2 new ones ...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dennislim
    the problem is u got to use 2 identical hd ...
    if 1 failes there is another one to save u ... but if u are making raid again u got to find another identical hd if not ... buy 2 new ones ...
    agree..
    and also another big problem if the raid controller fails.. then u got 2x gobbledook.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    I love my WD 250gb and 80gb IDE as external drives, firewire 400 to a mac. stable and very quiet.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    I use raid 5 so unless I get 2 HD failing at the same time it is OK for me.
    Also I can upgrade to a higher capacity for the failed HD and get it to level it back so no problem even if it is a different capacity as long as it is a bigger capacity.
    Of cause if controller have problem than it is a different story.

    Quote Originally Posted by dennislim
    the problem is u got to use 2 identical hd ...
    if 1 failes there is another one to save u ... but if u are making raid again u got to find another identical hd if not ... buy 2 new ones ...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    I use raid 5 so unless I get 2 HD failing at the same time it is OK for me.
    Also I can upgrade to a higher capacity for the failed HD and get it to level it back so no problem even if it is a different capacity as long as it is a bigger capacity.
    Of cause if controller have problem than it is a different story.

    hmmm but what i know is its not recommended to use 2 different hd of different model and capacity

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    I think for Raid 5 it may be OK except that you will not get the increased capacity unless you change all of them. The worrying problem is when the controller fail and it is so old that you cannot find a replacement so the best way is to keep upgrading to newer model.
    My plan is to use it for the next 5-7 years (by than in IT terms it means it is a dinosaur) without worry and than consider changing or upgrading it before it totally fails without spare parts. Currently using 4 x 300Gb Seagate HD (5 years warrenty so no problem here) and a Thecus system. So effectively over 900Gb of storage area to be shared by my whole family with multiple PC via gigabit network.

    Quote Originally Posted by dennislim
    hmmm but what i know is its not recommended to use 2 different hd of different model and capacity

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    I used to trust Maxtor and avoided IBM like the plague, but after all of my past Maxtors died (left a 40GB one, touch wood), I began exploring the Hitachi. My 160GB so far so good, and (of course) it's the fastest among what I'm using now.

    I still have a 4.3GB Seagate running on my PC now, and a 20GB Seagate. But they are slow.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    actually for the moment I am using shadowed folder. meaning on an occasional basis the primary folder is replicated to a secondary. this way requires your diligence, but protects you from your own stupidity which RAID cannot do (i.e. deleting files that you actually wanted).

    Microsoft has a nifty tool call SyncToy and it does a very good job of replicating folder without having to copy everything everytime.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Hehe I have another extra 500+Gb somewhere to store things that I may stupidly delete over time and also 2 Exboot harddisk to backup my OS and installed programs. .
    Where to find this SyncToy, sounds like it will take another load of things that I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    actually for the moment I am using shadowed folder. meaning on an occasional basis the primary folder is replicated to a secondary. this way requires your diligence, but protects you from your own stupidity which RAID cannot do (i.e. deleting files that you actually wanted).

    Microsoft has a nifty tool call SyncToy and it does a very good job of replicating folder without having to copy everything everytime.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    do a search for PowerToy SyncToy. It is written by Microsoft engineers for their own use, hence you can be sure it is small and bug-free, and free

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

    Thanks for the tips just did that and installed it.
    Will be toying it for a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    do a search for PowerToy SyncToy. It is written by Microsoft engineers for their own use, hence you can be sure it is small and bug-free, and free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •