Default Re: this Aperture thing

also how to know if a camera is wide angeled or not .. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hjx
    what does it means when

Max. Aperture: F3.2 - F5.3

Max. Aperture: F2.8 - F5.5

bigger the better or smaller the better or what .. thanks
    The max aperture thing that has a range applies to zoom lens. When you zoom more, the max aperture decreas. So less amount of light enters into the film/sensor. If the number is smaller, the aperture is bigger which means more light can enter. Usually a lens that has a larger aperture is better because it is more versertile and can take more low light conditions and you have more depth of field to play with.

what does it means when

Max. Aperture: F2.8 - F5.5

bigger the better or smaller the better or what .. thanks
    hjx a large F number means smaller aperture. Smaller F number larger aperture. A small F number is good for low light condition. Large F number is good if you want foreground and background to be in focus.

Wide angle is pretty relative. Based on the 35mm film format. Below 28mm is generally considered wide angle. So jus read the lens the focal length range to determine.

the 'zoom' distance of the lens will tell you if its wide angle, generally anything below 50mm is wide angle (e.g a 12mm lens) and anything about it is telephoto (e.g. a 200mm lens), GENERALLY

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    the 'zoom' distance of the lens will tell you if its wide angle, generally anything below 50mm is wide angle (e.g a 12mm lens) and anything about it is telephoto (e.g. a 200mm lens), GENERALLY
    It depend on the focal length of the lens as well as the sensor/film size.

er the wide lens part is still confusing .. but i think i get the F part

Max. Aperture: F2.8 - F5.5 is better ...

am i right

cause it should be able to take in more light in low light .. possibly end up with a bigger low light photo ???

on your lens a number such as "18-200mm" will be given, now using this example we know it is a wide angle and a telephoto lens in one. this is beacause a wide angle lens must have a number (in mm) less then 50mm. so 18 mm is less then 50mm so it is therefore wide angle.

however other more complex stuff needs to be considered such as the dx crop factor on dslr's but thts a whole new issue

hope this helps

so 35mm to 200mm is quite the norm .. and 18 - 200mm is even wider as in it can take in more "width" .. ??? right

Easy but crude/vulgar what of remembering aperture settings and the results of their use.

The Smaller the f-stop number (e.g. f1.4) = The bigger the Hole. Big Hole means more light enters thru the lens. Will result in increased shutter spds (dependent on lighting situation). Decreased (shallow) DOF.

The Larger the f-stop number (e.g. f22) = The smaller the Hole. Small Hole means less light enters thru the lens. Will result in decreased shutter spds. Increased DOF.

Max. Aperture: F2.8 - F5.5 is better ...

am i right

cause it should be able to take in more light in low light .. possibly end up with a bigger low light photo ???

Usually better lenses have constant max aperature eg. 70-200mm f4. This type of lens will have max aperature from 70mm thru 200mm whereas a 70-300mm f3.5-4.5 will have max aperature of f3.5 only at 70mm and decrease porpotionally to f4.5 at 300mm. Lens with smaller f value are better brcos it allows faster AF due to more light entering to the sensor.

one point to not if you had not notice, the smaller the f value, the more expensive the lenses.

Just my 2 rupiah worth.

i see .. thanks