Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does fungus look like

Default Re: What does fungus look like

Quote Originally Posted by duhduh83
    actually the lens is a tokina 28-70mm f2.8 the seller claimed that its a very good lens in good condition. i saw that it was alot brighter than my kit lens so i bought it. i also thought of cleaning but then 80-120 dollars can get me a prime 50mm..... so i really dunnoe..... can i sell it? really confused.....
    Why don't you go to Cathay Photo to see how much the cleaning will cost. They are the reps for Tokina. The lens you have is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    Why don't you go to Cathay Photo to see how much the cleaning will cost. They are the reps for Tokina. The lens you have is quite good.
    Issit? didnt know..... btw the guy who sold me the lens told me to try prime which is next to cathay..... so which one should i go? tcw, cathay or prime?

Issit? didnt know..... btw the guy who sold me the lens told me to try prime which is next to cathay..... so which one should i go? tcw, cathay or prime?
    The only shop I know next to Cathay is second hand shop selling used lens. Cathay sells a range of items. What exactly do you want?

i was just thinking could the developer forgot it was a 160 NPC film and had over agitated the developing process and thus it became grainy and unsharp?
    I doubt if the film was not agitated enough, because it probably was machined processed.

Are you saying that the film is grainy or the scans? BTW how large are the files of your scans. For the film not being sharp again it has nothing to do with the processing. It is either the film wasn't sharp to begin with or the scans were not sharp.

I agree with dunnomuch's advice, actually couldn't have put it any better.

is the NGC photographer same as the one that featured in PhotoM'sia forum also?
    The skinny guy?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

The only shop I know next to Cathay is second hand shop selling used lens. Cathay sells a range of items. What exactly do you want?
    the guy who sold me told me to take the lens to prime to service.... he says he knows the people there and if i mention his name i will get a discount..... i really dunt know.... maybe i go there and then i will get cheated again.... sigh.... im just looking for a reliable person to help see whether the lens has any problems....

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    I doubt if the film was not agitated enough, because it probably was machined processed.

Are you saying that the film is grainy or the scans? BTW how large are the files of your scans. For the film not being sharp again it has nothing to do with the processing. It is either the film wasn't sharp to begin with or the scans were not sharp.

I agree with dunnomuch's advice, actually couldn't have put it any better.
    ok the scan quality was 4000dpi x 4000dpi so you think its the scans that is grainy? also, you mean that the fujifilm NPC wasnt sharp to begin with? i saw some NPC film with very good results.... i just want to narrow down to see whether its the lens problem actually.....

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    is the NGC photographer same as the one that featured in PhotoM'sia forum also?
    The skinny guy?
    nono hes not from malaysia and not so skinny... btw he claims to teach at NBC in canada....

duhduh83 in future when you buy lens please check the following:

1. Take the lens and place it to the light to look for fungus and scratches.
    2. Check the auto focus. Focus on something far than near. In doing this you checking the motor is OK and the auto focus is working.
    3. Check the zoom is working properly. The zoom ring should turn smoothly.
    4. Check the focusing ring. It should turn smoothly.
    5. Check the contact point are free from corrosion.
    6. Check the mount has no damage.

this sounds scary....
    sthing should be done, else might make the buyers quite worried about buying from other through Consumer's Corner.
    It's true that we should look carefully and examine the product before we buy but sometimes we miss the fine, hairline details when we examine the product or when its some other problem that we might not know and are convinced by the buyer...

feel this is a serious problem...

but i take no sides cos everythings just based on words from everyone....

but just felt i should put in my two cents worth

duhduh83 in future when you buy lens please check the following:

1. Take the lens and place it to the light to look for fungus and scratches.
    2. Check the auto focus. Focus on something far than near. In doing this you checking the motor is OK and the auto focus is working.
    3. Check the zoom is working properly. The zoom ring should turn smoothly.
    4. Check the focusing ring. It should turn smoothly.
    5. Check the contact point are free from corrosion.
    6. Check the mount has no damage.
    thanks for your advice.... he demonstrated your point 2-6 but left out point 1.
    the lens is in perfect condition according to your points 2-6. however, when I wanted to look though the lens, i noticed his immediate reaction to tell me to cover the lens if not dust might enter... i didnt really thought that this is a major point that i missed out.... sigh...

thanks for your advice.... he demonstrated your point 2-6 but left out point 1.
    the lens is in perfect condition according to your points 2-6. however, when I wanted to look though the lens, i noticed his immediate reaction to tell me to cover the lens if not dust might enter... i didnt really thought that this is a major point that i missed out.... sigh...
    Instead of sighing and complaining go send in for a evaluation. Maybe the fungus isn't as bad as you think. Maybe the cost won't be too much. No harm getting it evaluated by Cathay Photo.

ok guys.... thanks for stoping by my thread. I just went down to TCW today.... finally got time after clearing most of my tests in sch..... the guy confirmed that it is fungus...... so, im utterly dissappointed..... im convinced that i should let everyone know his nick, least anyone falls into my situation..... the TCW pple told me they'll service it for $75 bucks.... the self-claimed NG photographer goes by the nick of szhoe. Im not going to comment anymore..... you guys have heard my story.....

by the way, the TCW guy told me that grainyness is to do with wrong exposure.... is that true? if so probably the metering of my camera is probably screwed..... same camera same lens from the same guy..... sigh....

by the way, the TCW guy told me that grainyness is to do with wrong exposure.... is that true? if so probably the metering of my camera is probably screwed..... same camera same lens from the same guy..... sigh....
    Moral of the story. Buy from a reputable second hand store unless you know what you are looking for. Anyway you got your lens fix and its not so bad. Be careful next time

ok would like to ask a question, how to tell whether my exposure had screwed up from the grainyness? Is it over or under? If so, this means that the camera's metering is wrong since I had only used P mode in my test shots so far?

ok would like to ask a question, how to tell whether my exposure had screwed up from the grainyness? Is it over or under? If so, this means that the camera's metering is wrong since I had only used P mode in my test shots so far?
    Need to see picture before I can comment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12