Thread: How to set Fill Flash ?

Default How to set Fill Flash ?

Confuse about the meaning of the fill flash. Does it mean flashing with big apreture ? exp. we want potrait of a person under day light condition and we need capture everything on the background/lanscape,so we set the cam lets say M mode, F/11 with 1/50s and we turn the flash on to light up his face, so this call fill flash ?
    Sorry, dont laugh at me for my noob question.
    My English really bad, although have read the manual again and again, but never really catch it.
    So hope any kind soul here can give me more detail explanation about the fill flash.
    I am use Canon 350D with 420EX

Cheers,
    Caofei

Default Re: How to set Fill Flash ?

fill flash is use when the subject is against a light source e.g sun jus behind the subject...

can do some read up here...http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/
    Last edited by dreamerz; 15th March 2006 at 12:43 AM.

my understanding of a fill flash is this, in broad daylight u set your flash to fire. This is to prevent your subject/object of focus to be underexpose due to strong backlighting (e.g sun) so you get a balance exposure by capturing the background (lighted up by the sun) and your object/subject (lighted up by your flash). Most commonly used for portraiture and macro shots... Hope this piece of info helps!

Thanks for the link.
    Apreaciate your comments, just dont know hows the setting for fill flash, can give more details ?

Cheers,
    Caofei

Quote Originally Posted by Caofei
    Thanks for the link.
    Apreaciate your comments, just dont know hows the setting for fill flash, can give more details ?

Cheers,
    Caofei
    i m not a canon user so i cant tell exactly how u set yr flash... basically u gotta use d Guide Number formula, dat is "Guide no. = aperture no.(f-8.0, etc..) x flash-to-subject distance"...

Quote Originally Posted by moriahphotos
    my understanding of a fill flash is this, in broad daylight u set your flash to fire. This is to prevent your subject/object of focus to be underexpose due to strong backlighting (e.g sun) so you get a balance exposure by capturing the background (lighted up by the sun) and your object/subject (lighted up by your flash). Most commonly used for portraiture and macro shots... Hope this piece of info helps!
    Thanks for your explanation.
    My confusing is : Fill flash mean flashing under daylight condition ? But make my mind blur blur is there are some example shots from website i have read show a comparation btw normal flash and fill flash both under daylight condition, how ?

Cheers,
    Caofei

Canon dSLRs engage fill-flash automatically, depending on the camera mode and lighting conditions. There's no special button to press. The only way to turn it "on or off" is by knowing what situations will cause fill-flash to engage and change modes accordingly. Since I'm feeling particularly generous tonight I'll give you the breakdown.

In relatively bright ambient conditions, fill-flash will engage automatically if you enable flash, regardless of the mode.

In low light conditions, this is where the ambiguity lies. In Program/Auto mode, the flash will assume the role of primary light source. In other words it'll "fire full" to use your term, though its not technically correct to say that.

In Tv or Av, it'll assume the role of fill flash. Which means the camera will try to expose the background correctly, even if it means low shutter speeds in Av mode. In Tv mode the A value will just blink.

In manual mode it'll still be fill-flash, but exposure of the background will depend on what Tv and Av you use.

So the only way to turn fill-flash on or off at night is by changing scene modes. But whatever the mode, the main goal of the flash is to expose yr SUBJECT correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Canon dSLRs engage fill-flash automatically, depending on the camera mode and lighting conditions. There's no special button to press. The only way to turn it "on or off" is by knowing what situations will cause fill-flash to engage and change modes accordingly. Since I'm feeling particularly generous tonight I'll give you the breakdown.

In relatively bright ambient conditions, fill-flash will engage automatically if you enable flash, regardless of the mode.

In low light conditions, this is where the ambiguity lies. In Program/Auto mode, the flash will assume the role of primary light source. In other words it'll "fire full" to use your term, though its not technically correct to say that.

In Tv or Av, it'll assume the role of fill flash. Which means the camera will try to expose the background correctly, even if it means low shutter speeds in Av mode. In Tv mode the A value will just blink.

In manual mode it'll still be fill-flash, but exposure of the background will depend on what Tv and Av you use.

So the only way to turn fill-flash on or off at night is by changing scene modes. But whatever the mode, the main goal of the flash is to expose yr SUBJECT correctly.

Great thanks for your long and detail explanation, indeed thats i need to know.
    So did you mean if i am shooting under daylight condition lets say with F/2.8 1/25 and
    after i flash the lamp of the flash will just blink weakly (the cam calculate automaticaly the light of the flash acc the shutter speed and aperture ?)
    and if i set with F/11 //200 the lamp of the flash will produce strong light ?
    Correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers,
    Caofei

Yr qn can't be answered. Your stated Av and Tv combi are like worlds apart in terms of exposure. 7 stops to be exact. Thats crazy.

All I can say is that for a given exposure, if you choose a smaller aperture than yes the flash output will increase since you got a smaller hole, to put it rather crudely.

Also, flash output is controlled by how long the pulse lasts, not the actual "brightness" of the pulse, so to speak. So you won't see the a weak or strong light as you describe. You'll just see a light, which will probably look the same unless you have super duper sensitive eyes.

And since I've been so kind as to answer yr qn, kindly entertain mine. Where do you get all these wierd ideas/qns from???
    Last edited by solarii; 16th March 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caofei
    Confuse about the meaning of the fill flash. Does it mean flashing with big apreture ? exp. we want potrait of a person under day light condition and we need capture everything on the background/lanscape,so we set the cam lets say M mode, F/11 with 1/50s and we turn the flash on to light up his face, so this call fill flash ?
    Sorry, dont laugh at me for my noob question.
    My English really bad, although have read the manual again and again, but never really catch it.
    So hope any kind soul here can give me more detail explanation about the fill flash.
    I am use Canon 350D with 420EX

Cheers,
    Caofei
    Set the flash under exposure -0.5 to -1.0 stop for fill flash.

Regards,
    Arto.

Fill flash.

In another word, the ambient light is the main light, you set your camera exposure for the main light, and you use the flash to supplement it, so the flash should be under expose by stop to 2 stops depend on what you prefer.

Most modern flash will has this feature built in, read up your flash manual.

for nikon sb600 and 800 its the ittlbl mode

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    for nikon sb600 and 800 its the ittlbl mode
    can it use on 350D? with iTTL BL enable?