Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sigma 12-24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

Default Re: Sigma 12-24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

Good price, great lens.. But I think this guy already confirm buying Sigma.. He's just trying to justify his decision..

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    unless ur shooting film, get the tokina instead

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    Good price, great lens.. But I think this guy already confirm buying Sigma.. He's just trying to justify his decision..
    No lah, I just want to confirm the quality and comments first. Ultimately I may get Canon 10-22 as you recommended. But at my level, I'm more worried because it might be too wide for my level. So i might either get Sigma 12-24 or Canon 17-40L.

Quote Originally Posted by tc811
    No lah, I just want to confirm the quality and comments first. Ultimately I may get Canon 10-22 as you recommended. But at my level, I'm more worried because it might be too wide for my level. So i might either get Sigma 12-24 or Canon 17-40L.
    Canon 10-22 compared to the Sigma 12-24 is only 2mm more on the wide end and 2mm less on the tele end. What do you mean by "too wide for your level?" The Sigma 12-24 is going to have distortion as well. I can understand jeryltan's frustration when you failed to catch his intention.

I find it more amusing that you comparing it with the Canon 17-40 instead, where the difference is as big as 5mm. The 17-40mm is more used as a walkaround lens for DSLR users instead, not so much for wide-angle landscape.

My suggestion is to GO to Cathay Photo or MS Color, and TRY hands-on all the lenses you are considering to see for yourself the effects of these 3 lenses.
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 16th March 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Canon 10-22 compared to the Sigma 12-24 is only 2mm more on the wide end and 2mm less on the tele end. What do you mean by "too wide for your level?" The Sigma 12-24 is going to have distortion as well. I can understand jeryltan's frustration when you failed to catch his intention.

I find it more amusing that you comparing it with the Canon 17-40 instead, where the difference is as big as 5mm. The 17-40mm is more used as a walkaround lens for DSLR users instead, not so much for wide-angle landscape.

My suggestion is to GO to Cathay Photo or MS Color, and TRY hands-on all the lenses you are considering to see for yourself the effects of these 3 lenses.
    Sorry, I don't get you. U mean that 17-40 is more for walkaround lens? But I tot tat ppl always mentioned it as wide angle len?

Ok, I've yet to decide on which len to buy. I was comparing 10-22 with 17-40 and seems 17-40 is sharper. Then again, it seems that the price in HK for 10-22 & 17-40 is not much cheaper either. That's why i'm considering Sigma which is cheaper there. Just my view.

Of course i do appreciate Jeryltan for his advice and comment. But being a newbie, I might not be able to fully appreciate the usefulness of 10-22. That's why i may eventually stick to Canon 17-40 or Sigma 12-24 for its price.

Quote Originally Posted by tc811
    Sorry, I don't get you. U mean that 17-40 is more for walkaround lens? But I tot tat ppl always mentioned it as wide angle len?
    It is a wide-angle on a full-frame camera = film SLR or Canon 1Ds Mk II or 5D.

It becomes quite a good walkaround lens on a APS-C sized sensor DSLR, e.g. Canon 350D, 30D. It suddenly doesn't become so wide after all on these cameras.

17-40mm on an APS-C sized sensor DSLR will translate to about the same angle of view of about 28-65mm on full-frame DSLR. That means if you mount the same lens on both the 5D and the 350D, the lens on a 350D is going to give you an angle of view narrower compared to a 5D. To reclaim the wider view on the 350D and 30D, people turn to shorter lenses, e.g. 10-22mm, 12-24mm, etc.

That is why, in the past, the kit lens of the film SLRs is 28-80mm (the convenient "walkaround" range), and now with DSLRs like 350D and 30D the kit lens is 18-55mm, because it is modelled to give roughly the same angle of view as a film SLR with a 28-80mm lens.

I understand that eventually budget will play a big part in your decision, but to claim that the 10-22mm is "too wide for your level" is not really a very plausible reason for NOT considering that lens. 5mm difference on the wide end of lens makes a very significant difference, and people usually don't lump the 17-40mm with the shorter lenses for comparison.

All the best in searching the lens that fit your needs. (And I surprise myself for writing such a long post in the Newbies Corner...)
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 17th March 2006 at 01:09 AM.

how about using a lens hood?

or buying the 10-20mm by sigma too?

the sigma 12-24 has extremely low distortion.

Taking your advice in heart, I went down to MS Color to try out. And after trying the Canon 17-40L and also notice the distortion of 10-22 (if in close range and group pic, but not lens fault), i decided on the 17-40. Partly due to the sharpness of the lens as compared to 10-22, I finally paid the money and left with the 17-40L.

Congrats! You've gotten yourself a very fine L lens indeed.
    The purchase of a lens is only the first step. Now get out there and shoot!
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 19th March 2006 at 11:14 AM.

Congrats! You've gotten yourself a very fine L lens indeed.
    The purchase of a lens is only the first step. Now get out there and shoot!
    Yes sir, will need to squeeze more time to allow myself some photo shooting session.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

soon u'll be back asking for advice regarding ultra-wide lenses, i assure u.

btw, the tokina 12-24 has ZERO measurable distortion at 24mm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12