Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend travel backpack for both DSLR and notebook

Default Re: Please recommend travel backpack for both DSLR and notebook

Quote Originally Posted by fishtan
    Actually I think they actually allow you to carry a cabin bag and your laptop bag is not considered. But of course if its a laptop cum camera, its will be so bag...
    Yes, I know that the laptop bag is not counted as part of the "1 cabin bag" policy.
    And many people regularly flout the rule anyway and carry on board multiple bags of various sizes. the crew usually don't make a big fuss unless it's simply too big/bulky.

but seriously, it's just a hassle to carry many bags and the standard laptop briefcase is already troublesome itself and screams "steal me!".

ae

yup, u can have a carry on luggage and a separate laptop bag. if u're a lady, u could bring on another handbag too!!!

but generally speaking, they're usually not so fussy abt multiple bags as long as the bags are not too big.

Normally I can suggest a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW, but when I actually use it on my overseas trip last month .. I suggest better not get that one .. esp if you are packing like me.
    Powerbook G3 + 2 body [D1H , S2 Pro] + a tele lens + 3 small lens [50/1.4 , 10.5 Fish eye, 60micro] + 2 flash [SB-800] .. total 13kg.

It fits all, but once you put it on, the lower part of the bag actually press against your lower spine and that hurts A LOT ! esp when you are stranded like me in 5 hours flight delay and moving between terminals during the flight.

But if you are packing lite, that bag is a really good as I normally use it for my walkaround big bag now.
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

This URBAN brand bag is cool.
    Can it hold a tripod?

Hi, got that one (beige/silver colour) from Sports Connection at Shaw Tower last weekend (after the IT show at Suntec). At $34, it's a steal. I find it very useful and convenient. When I go out with my kid, I could put my cameral at the cam compartment, his stuff at the notebook compartment, and my own other stuff at the outer compartment. And I could take photos for my kid as and when I want. Left my Lowepro camera bag at home liao. Good buy!

Quote Originally Posted by mephesto
    The one from sports connection is great(the brand is Urban)! Cheap ($34) and strong enough. This is an exact copy of the Crumpler Formal Lodge. Quality's a bit lower than the crumpler (hey, it's 1/6 the price), but it holds up just fine.

I used to own a farmers double, but sold it off after getting this bag (found the farmers double too big - makes you look like a ninja turtle)

The notebook is slotted in at the back of the back pack (it opens from the back) and the camera compartment sits at the bottom of the bag (can be accessed from the front), this is good as you can access your cam without putting the bag down. Security is not an issue, when the tabs are pulled to one end, it is pretty difficult (if not impossible) for someone to open the bag. Short of slitting it open, again difficult as the material is tough and there is an additional removable insert that holds the camera, it is pretty secure. Another plus is that the zip pulls have hoops that you can put a small padlock through (something not possible with the crumpler zip pulls) if you want to be doubly sure.

Used it for a week - on the move everyday - in China. Works perfect.

Comes in 3 colours (Red, blue and white/sliver).

Quote Originally Posted by disclog
    This URBAN brand bag is cool.
    Can it hold a tripod?
    No, don't think so, but I believe you could probably strap it somewhere..

Got mine during lunch from Causeway Point and that is the last piece.
    Thanks everyone here for the good deal and recommendation.

I have the Lowepro Orion Trekker II and I used that as a diaper cum camera bag but it does not fit the laptop which I think this Urban will fit everything well

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Ok. Here is is. The chamber in front of the notebook compartment is still large enough for some clothings.

Hm...that's the same design as Crumpler's Farmer's Double, which has been discontinued already.

I have been using one and very happy with it.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by b18
    Normally I can suggest a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW, but when I actually use it on my overseas trip last month .. I suggest better not get that one .. esp if you are packing like me.
    Powerbook G3 + 2 body [D1H , S2 Pro] + a tele lens + 3 small lens [50/1.4 , 10.5 Fish eye, 60micro] + 2 flash [SB-800] .. total 13kg.

It fits all, but once you put it on, the lower part of the bag actually press against your lower spine and that hurts A LOT ! esp when you are stranded like me in 5 hours flight delay and moving between terminals during the flight.

But if you are packing lite, that bag is a really good as I normally use it for my walkaround big bag now.

I second the computrekker AW or the plus.

If you intend to overload, then use the non-plus one, because its smaller, less likely to attract attention, so you gets away with overload.

I have the plus one, and when I took it on one of the budget flight to bangkok, immediately the ground crew ask to weigh it (didn't happen in normal airlines, but domestic may have similar problem). The size is defintely ok, but it look big, so they immediately think it is overweight (not more than 7kg, typically). The advantage of the plus is that it has a good hip harness which takes the weight of the shoulders.
    Last edited by pcwe68; 15th March 2006 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    yup, u can have a carry on luggage and a separate laptop bag. if u're a lady, u could bring on another handbag too!!!

but generally speaking, they're usually not so fussy abt multiple bags as long as the bags are not too big.
    Yup, it's amazing what ppl bring on as hand carry.

I've seen many people bring on 1 pc of luggage (some are HUGE and take up the ENTIRE overhead cabin and is incidentally the same size as my check in luggage), one lap top bag, one suit bag and some shopping and a bag from duty

Ok. Here is is. The chamber in front of the notebook compartment is still large enough for some clothings.

i bought this bag too. but doesn't seem to be able to fit my D50 with its kit len attached in the front pouch. put it in the laptop section instead.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    i bought this bag too. but doesn't seem to be able to fit my D50 with its kit len attached in the front pouch. put it in the laptop section instead.
    Here's what I did. Take one of the partition out and put it back at an angle so that the hand grip of the D50 can rest on that and still fit in when it is put in with the lens facing down, see middle shot of first picture. I am able to fit a D70 with the 18-200VR lens like that. However, I used a shorter partition from another camera bag, but it should be the same.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th March 2006 at 01:17 AM.

Here's what I did. Take one of the partition out and put it back at an angle so that the hand grip of the D50 can rest on that and still fit in when it is put in with the lens facing down, see middle shot of first picture. I am able to fit a D70 with the 18-200VR lens like that. However, I used a shorter partition from another camera bag, but it should be the same.
    ic thanks!

Hi, I have looking for this bag at various Sports connection but most of them either sold out or "don't have", may I have the model number of the Urban bag? So that I can call all sports connection and ask them through phone instead of going all over the island? Cheers.

sgoutlaw

Quote Originally Posted by sgoutlaw66 View Post
    Hi, I have looking for this bag at various Sports connection but most of them either sold out or "don't have", may I have the model number of the Urban bag? So that I can call all sports connection and ask them through phone instead of going all over the island? Cheers.

sgoutlaw
    Woe! That's nearly a year ago.. Don't really know the model but just describe it as a notebook-camera harvest sack. I think they should know...

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post

where did you get this bag from..
    are there other similar ones..

Try Crumpler Karachi Outpost.
    Should be big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Try Crumpler Karachi Outpost.
    Should be big enough.
    big diff in price tho...

hi there..same thing here
    i went down to sports connection in shaw towers beach road.. they mentioned this model is ssold out years ago and not bringing in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sgoutlaw66 View Post

sgoutlaw

Quote Originally Posted by sojourn88 View Post
    hi there..same thing here
    i went down to sports connection in shaw towers beach road.. they mentioned this model is ssold out years ago and not bringing in anymore.
    I asked the sports connection at Tampines Mall and they said the same thing. It seems the brand has stopped selling this bag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast