Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built in Spirit level for your camera?

Lightbulb Built in Spirit level for your camera?

Suddenly my thoughts run while and came up with this rather absurd question. We have all seen spirit level on some of the tripods that we uses to help us avoid pictures with tilted horizon.

Would you like to have a built in spirit level on your SLR camera? How about having it on a PnS camera?

Perhaps with this feature, some of us would benefits from our hand held shots

Any comments fellow Csers?

Default Re: Built in Spirit level for your camera?

Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks
    Suddenly my thoughts run while and came up with this rather absurd question. We have all seen spirit level on some of the tripods that we uses to help us avoid pictures with tilted horizon.

Would you like to have a built in spirit level on your SLR camera? How about having it on a PnS camera?

Perhaps with this feature, some of us would benefits from our hand held shots

Any comments fellow Csers?
    i have 1 on my camera... and i even have lines for it also... sometimes its better to get the best composition than the best alignment, if u get what i mean...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Some books show photos of a hotshoe-mounted spirit level, but I haven't seen one on sale as of yet. If I had the time and the determination one day, I might very well build one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Some books show photos of a hotshoe-mounted spirit level, but I haven't seen one on sale as of yet. If I had the time and the determination one day, I might very well build one myself.
    I've not seen it on sale in Singapore before, but it's available from bhphoto if you are really interested. Here is the link to one of the hotshoe mounted spirit level.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

no need to go all the way to states and buy lah. i think some sg shops have (dun ask me which one )

er... just order from parkert's online shop lah. he got 2 kinds.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean
    I've not seen it on sale in Singapore before, but it's available from bhphoto if you are really interested. Here is the link to one of the hotshoe mounted spirit level.

i have the exact same 1, same brand even, and bought in singapore... just fyi...

and i also have another 1 which i bought from a local seller (in here too...) totally transparent 1, but den again, cool is cool, but the edges are abit too sharp to my liking, they should have done some chamfering...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

eh DCA, u mount urs on fs-1100 and then put on camera issit? the minolta shoe not very accessory friendly

I have a spirit level that can be mounted on the hotshoe. Lovely little greenish gadget.
    But cannot be used when my camera have a flashgun munted on it leh.

That's why just curios to know whether you guys like to have one that is built into the camera body?

Hotshoe type spirit level used to be very popular in camera stores a few years back, but hard to find now, you can check out the ParkertR thread here, he is selling it here.

Only a few cameras has built in spirit level, like SWC, most panoramic camera and large format cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    eh DCA, u mount urs on fs-1100 and then put on camera issit? the minolta shoe not very accessory friendly
    yup...

but like i said, the lines inside the 7D is more useful than this... align the horizon with the grids... simplest and fastest...

next is i wish to have a compass, cos i always lost my way.... or maybe GPS... den my LCD screen will show map, and the speaker will direct me to the destination...

5D cannot change to grid screen... so i use the focus area markings to agar agar...

thinking of just taking the metal part of a normal iso shoe and fixing it on the flash hotshoe cap to make an adapter... hrm... superglue? doublesided tape?

---
    NE clicks clicks, when using the spirit level, ur camera is usually on a tripod right? i can't look at the bubble with my eye on the viewfinder

just put the bubble, level the camera, take out the bubble, put on the flash? what kind of situation are you normally in that need to use both the level and the flash and handheld?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    yup...

but like i said, the lines inside the 7D is more useful than this... align the horizon with the grids... simplest and fastest...

next is i wish to have a compass, cos i always lost my way.... or maybe GPS... den my LCD screen will show map, and the speaker will direct me to the destination...
    Hey, that a good one
    Compass + GPS ah, will probably cost you a bomb if they do produce a camera with all this on it. But you never know I guess, since now Camera also goes Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    I bought them from Ruby Photo years ago, still have them in my cabinet.

Hey, that a good one
    Compass + GPS ah, will probably cost you a bomb if they do produce a camera with all this on it. But you never know I guess, since now Camera also goes Wi-Fi
    and u know... my imagination is limitless... (somehow either i meant, my imagination got limit lesser or my imagination got less limit)

i'll wanna have a babe-o-meter in my camera... cos since the GPS & Speaker is in place, next my camera will call me (Voice of C3PO)... Master Luke, Turn Left, 10 o'clock, Chio bu...

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    NE clicks clicks, when using the spirit level, ur camera is usually on a tripod right? i can't look at the bubble with my eye on the viewfinder

just put the bubble, level the camera, take out the bubble, put on the flash? what kind of situation are you normally in that need to use both the level and the flash and handheld?
    Was touring Hong Kong with a company colleagues, did not brought along the tripod.
    Taking group picture handheld(elbow resting on railing)with the flash mounted on the hot shoe and with a the HK skyline as the background. Flash to fill-in. Wanted yo ensure the horizon wasn't tilted.

Was touring Hong Kong with a company colleagues, did not brought along the tripod.
    Taking group picture handheld(elbow resting on railing)with the flash mounted on the hot shoe and with a the HK skyline as the background. Flash to fill-in. Wanted yo ensure the horizon wasn't tilted.
    i see... i guess if i were in that situation i still wouldn't be able to look at the bubble level and also frame the shot in the viewfinder. would probably just reply on viewfinder markings and agar agar. maybe frame the shot wider to leave room for adjustment and crop in photoshop.

anyway back to your original question... i think no need to build in lah. p&s cameras also have those grid-lines on the lcd that can be turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean

Hi,

I bought one when I visited there last year.

I can't tell you what shop sold it, but if you PM teerex he may remember where it was that he took me too.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

and u know... my imagination is limitless... (somehow either i meant, my imagination got limit lesser or my imagination got less limit)

i'll wanna have a babe-o-meter in my camera... cos since the GPS & Speaker is in place, next my camera will call me (Voice of C3PO)... Master Luke, Turn Left, 10 o'clock, Chio bu...
    ur babe-o-meter is single AF, or got continuous drive de? i tot babes r now u c, now u don't?

anyway back 2 spirit level, i bought mine locally from a shop at Peninsula Plaza, last time got an uncle at Konota selling now no more there. upstairs got a shop oso selling.

my spirit level is a hotshoe mount type, & oso got a thread 4 tripod.

best got " ghost " meter too else what u see when u actually focus in by then u realise its a ghost is already too late liao

fright of yr life ! guee ah~~~

just kidding dont humtum me ok
    Last edited by S11loop; 13th March 2006 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast