Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Kodak ISO Max 400

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    223

    Angry Kodak ISO Max 400



    I taken this pic using the above mention film. What I get is atrocious output.

    Btw, which film to choose for street parade held at night? Which ISO? Which film to choose: Kodak or Fuji Film?

    Lastly use sports mode for parade will be a better choice to produce better output?

    Thank you.
    Last edited by makan007; 20th February 2002 at 09:18 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by makan007


    I taken this pic using the above mention film. What I get is atrocious output.

    Btw, which film to choose for street parade held at night? Which ISO? Which film to choose: Kodak or Fuji Film?

    Lastly use sports mode for parade will be a better choice to produce better output?

    Thank you.
    might be due to the shutter speed of the camera

    high iso shd have high shutter speed..not very sure

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by makan007

    I taken this pic using the above mention film. What I get is atrocious output.

    Btw, which film to choose for street parade held at night? Which ISO? Which film to choose: Kodak or Fuji Film?

    Lastly use sports mode for parade will be a better choice to produce better output?

    Thank you.
    the poor image is definately due to camera shake as u can see the lines on the road are blur. nothing to do with film. u shld either set a higher shutter speed (1/400s is the slowest u can go if using ISO400 unless u got steady hands) or make use of a tripod.

    for such event held at nite and only lit by streetlamps, i guess Fuji Press 800 wld be more suitable.

    Sports mode has a higher shutter speed so tat it can freeze the pic. alternatively, u can also set the shutter speed in the Shutter Priority.

    Hopes this helps.
    Last edited by hackie; 20th February 2002 at 09:33 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by Linus


    might be due to the shutter speed of the camera

    high iso shd have high shutter speed..not very sure
    The above photo 'blurness' is due to handshake caused by low shutter speed. You're right, it is due to shutter speed.

    However, ISO & shutter speed have no correlation.

    Shutter speed is how long the camera shutter opens to let in light to fall on the film.

    ISO is a measure of how sensitive the film is to light. The higher the number, the more sensitive it is. Hence, for the same brightness in a particular scene, for eg, if a ISO 100 film needs 1/125sec shutter speed to properly form the image, a ISO 400 film will only need 1/500sec shutter speed to properly form the same image.

    What is handshake?
    Its when the shutter speed falls below 1/focal length of your lens. For eg, if you're using 50mm. Once the shutter speed is slower than 1/50, it is more likely to see handshake in the end photo. For practical reason, just try to keep shutter speed at 1/60 and above for most of your shots. If you're using long teles like 200mm and above, then use the 1/focal length rule.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re: Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by Shadus


    The above photo 'blurness' is due to handshake caused by low shutter speed. You're right, it is due to shutter speed.

    However, ISO & shutter speed have no correlation.

    Shutter speed is how long the camera shutter opens to let in light to fall on the film.

    ISO is a measure of how sensitive the film is to light. The higher the number, the more sensitive it is. Hence, for the same brightness in a particular scene, for eg, if a ISO 100 film needs 1/125sec shutter speed to properly form the image, a ISO 400 film will only need 1/500sec shutter speed to properly form the same image.

    What is handshake?
    Its when the shutter speed falls below 1/focal length of your lens. For eg, if you're using 50mm. Once the shutter speed is slower than 1/50, it is more likely to see handshake in the end photo. For practical reason, just try to keep shutter speed at 1/60 and above for most of your shots. If you're using long teles like 200mm and above, then use the 1/focal length rule.

    thanx!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Re: Kodak Max 400

    Originally posted by hackie


    the poor image is definately due to camera shake as u can see the lines on the road are blur. nothing to do with film. u shld either set a higher shutter speed (1/400s is the slowest u can go if using ISO400 unless u got steady hands) or make use of a tripod.

    for such event held at nite and only lit by streetlamps, i guess Fuji Press 800 wld be more suitable.

    Sports mode has a higher shutter speed so tat it can freeze the pic. alternatively, u can also set the shutter speed in the Shutter Priority.

    Hopes this helps.
    Why I heard some of the members here claim that don't ever use Kodak Max 400? All my 24 exposures produce this 'funny effects'.
    Another example,


  7. #7

    Default Re: Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by hackie


    the poor image is definately due to camera shake as u can see the lines on the road are blur. nothing to do with film. u shld either set a higher shutter speed (1/400s is the slowest u can go if using ISO400 unless u got steady hands) or make use of a tripod.

    You're right on to say its due to camera shake.
    However, again, ISO and shutter speed have no correlation. It is not correct to say that 1/400 is the slowest u can go using ISO 400. (unless you hv a very special camera which forced this restriction). Film & shutter speed have no enforced relationship. I've used ISO 400 film exposed for 1minute before.

    Also, choice of film shouldn't be restricted by time of day. Most people avocate high ISO film like ISO 400 or ISO 800 for night shooting. This isn't true.

    makan -> can share more about your camera. And how u took this shot. I'll explain more later in this reply.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Re: Re: Kodak Max 400

    Originally posted by makan007

    Why I heard some of the members here claim that don't ever use Kodak Max 400? All my 24 exposures produce this 'funny effects'.
    Another example,

    All these are handshakes. Care to tell me if you use flash or not, camera-make etc?

    Actually, there are photographers who 'purposely' take such a shot with this type of effects

  9. #9

    Default

    And before we go into choice of film. There are fundamental understanding that needs to be explained and learnt first.

    Dun worry, u can continue to use Kodak Max 400.

    For me, I always load my parents P&S camera with Fuji Superia X-tra 400. I could hv gave thme Kodak Max 400 as well.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Kodak Max 400

    Originally posted by Shadus


    All these are handshakes. Care to tell me if you use flash or not, camera-make etc?

    Actually, there are photographers who 'purposely' take such a shot with this type of effects
    Using Canon EOS 500N. I select night scene mode w/built-in flash.
    I rather not hav this special effect. Any recommendation on any suitable films to use for nite parade with bright light surrounding?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by hackie


    the poor image is definately due to camera shake as u can see the lines on the road are blur. nothing to do with film. u shld either set a higher shutter speed (1/400s is the slowest u can go if using ISO400 unless u got steady hands) or make use of a tripod.

    for such event held at nite and only lit by streetlamps, i guess Fuji Press 800 wld be more suitable.

    Sports mode has a higher shutter speed so tat it can freeze the pic. alternatively, u can also set the shutter speed in the Shutter Priority.

    Hopes this helps.
    Huh? 1/400s is definitely NOT the slowest you can go on ISO 400. It's the slowest you can go on 400mm lens. The lowest hand holdable shutter speed does not have anything to do with the ISO rating of the film.

    In such low light situations, the best bet is to use a high speed film like the Press 800 you mentioned and fast lenses (e.g. f/2.8 and faster).

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kodak Max 400

    Originally posted by makan007

    Using Canon EOS 500N. I select night scene mode w/built-in flash.
    I rather not hav this special effect. Any recommendation on any suitable films to use for nite parade with bright light surrounding?
    will u be coming for today's SEED?

    Again, its not really the film. Moreover, you're already using ISO 400 film. U need to understand certain fundamental things. I'll try to explain more tonight as i dun hv much time to post right now.

  13. #13

    Default

    Problem description -> handshake

    Due to -> low shutter speed

    Solution -> To be discussed

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kodak Max 400

    Originally posted by makan007

    Using Canon EOS 500N. I select night scene mode w/built-in flash.
    I rather not hav this special effect. Any recommendation on any suitable films to use for nite parade with bright light surrounding?
    Get rid of the Max 400. No, your problem is not caused by the film. Your problem, like others have mentioned, is due to camera shake due to a slow shutter speed. What lens are you using? I'd assume it's a slow zoom with aperture of f/3.5-5.6 or something like that. Under such lighting conditions, if you are not using flash, you ideally need something faster, like f/2.8. The cheap way to get a fast lens is to buy a 50mm f/1.8 for like $100 odd. That will give you a higher shutter speed. Ideally, you should also use a faster film, like ISO 800 (e.g. Fujifilm Press 800).

    If you are using flash, don't use the night scene mode. The night scene mode of any camera usually sets a slow shutter speed, so don't use that. Set the shutter yourself to the flash synch speed (typically 1/60 and above, check your camera manual).

    Hope that helps.

    Back to the film. Kodak Max 400 have horrible grain, even when very slightly underexposed. For ISO 400 films, try Fujifilm Superia XTRA 400. For ISO 800, my recommendation goes to Press 800.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15
    ClubSNAP Admin Edmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Re: Re: Kodak ISO Max 400

    Originally posted by ckiang


    It's the slowest you can go on 400mm lens. The lowest hand holdable shutter speed does not have anything to do with the ISO rating of the film.
    Unless of course, your lens also has got IS/VR.

  16. #16

    Default

    Moreover, from looks of last photo. Your shutter speed may be about 1/15 (at most). So Press 800 may still not be enuff.

  17. #17

    Default

    And of coz, along comes Edmund and he will definately say something about IS/VR.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    This is comfirm camera shake. Use a tripod for 100% of your nightshot. It is compulsory unless you are a vampire(no need breath so no shake).
    Canon Lover :)

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by Klause
    This is comfirm camera shake. Use a tripod for 100% of your nightshot. It is compulsory unless you are a vampire(no need breath so no shake).
    Agree.
    However, using a tripod will solve part of his problem here. As he's taking action photography. Hence, using a tripod will get him sharp static objects. But for those moving ones, it'll still be blurified

    Only solution -> Fast lens, Fast film, hope its sufficient.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    agree with shadus =p. Those people are moving also.. so get a fast film/lense.. and if possible.. get them to stop for a sec.
    Canon Lover :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •