Thread: Travel to Taiwan!!

Default Travel to Taiwan!!

Any1 been to taiwan b4?

My sis n I plan to travel to taiwan on ur own during Jun tis yr..Plan for 9 day stay in taiwan!!

Is it possible to have backpacking in taiwan?

Any good recommendation for hostel room in Taipei n other cities like Taichung,Kaoshiong in taiwan?

Wat is the must visit place in taiwan.. I thk we plan to do more scenaric places than shopping..

Most likely will plan to travel to other cities on the earlier date while keep the last 2 days in taipei to shop around..

First time planning plus first time traveling wth my sis.. So abit stress!!

Need advise!

Thanks all.
    Last edited by shanice; 12th March 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: Travel to Taiwan!!

Quote Originally Posted by shanice
    Any1 been to taiwan b4?

My sis n I plan to travel to taiwan on ur own during Jun tis yr..Plan for 9 day stay in taiwan!!

Is it possible to have backpacking in taiwan?

Any good recommendation for hostel room in Taipei n other cities like Taichung,Kaoshiong, in taiwan?

Wat is the must visit place in taiwan.. I thk we plan to do more scenaric places than shopping..

Most likely will plan to travel to other cities on the earlier date while keep the last 2 days in taipei to shop around..

First time planning plus first time traveling wth my sis.. So abit stress!!

Need advise!

Thanks all.
    Good choice

June is a good time coz its summer and there's plenty to eat and plenty to see.

My suggestion to you is try to backpack the major cities in taiwan namely Taipei, the surrounding outskirts of Taipei, Kaosiung, Taichung... and yes it's possible to backpack across taiwan coz the north/ south is connected by trains and highways.

Iin Taipei there's plenty of accomodations for you to choose from but a good place I would always go to is Rainbow hotel in Si Men (SGD$80/nite/twin sharing) for its location and for its afforability but you have to book early.

Another way is to try hostels. the expats there rent out rooms in their apartments to visitors and travellors who stop by Taiwan. Try a search on Hostelworld.com

For taipei itself, there's many scenic places which might interest you like Yang Ming Shan, Dan Shui, night markets and the surrounding outskirts like Badu, jiu fen, keelung, alishan.....etc

Do a search in Kinokuniya for more of travelling in Taiwan

hope it helps
    Last edited by SniperD; 13th March 2006 at 12:11 AM.

June is good, cos it will not be as hot as in July. You might have to prepare some caps, light clothing and sunblock because Taiwanese summer is hot, lotsa sunshine and cloudless blue skies.

It's actually quite easy to backpack in Taiwan because as mentions, the cities and towns are linked by trains and express buses. The trains goes from town to town in 2 directions North-bound(北迴) and South-bound (南迴). Usually, the express buses are cheaper but you might to check the timing in smaller cities and the bus terminals are sometimes in some ulu ulu places. In most of the major cities, cheap accomodations can be found near the train-stations. There are cheap hotels abound, but there also plenty of hostels (民宿) around which starts from around S$30 a night.

As for scenic places to visit, you really might have to plan a bit, because most of the really scenic places are up in the mountains in Yunlin, Nantou Taichung and Hualien County. The more famous ones are Alishan and Sun-Moon Lake.They have also some really nice ranches and farms up there. If this is your first time there, Hualien and Kenting will be more accessible.

Kenting is a tourist place with beaches, water-sports, and national parks. It will be a lot more fun if you could drive there (Note: It's left-side drive there). The main attractions there are Eluanbi(鹅鸾鼻) and Maobitou (猫鼻头).

At Hualien along the east coast, there's the usual Taroko Gorge, sunrise over the Pacific Ocean, white-water rafting at Rueisuei(瑞穗) and if you are adventurous, take the southbound train to Chrshang(池上). Chrshang is famous for its rice which was at one time rated the best in the world. The rice fields around there will be nearing harvest soon in June, the miles and miles of ricefields there in the East Rift Valley (花东纵谷) is quite a sight. In the town itself, can try the Chrshang boxed meal which is quite good. From Taitung further south, you can also take a ferry to Green Island, which is really scenic as it's a volcanic island formation.

Some pictures of what to expect can be found in my web album:
    http://www.wretch.cc/album/Prismatic

Oh, something fun that my friends and I did when we were there was to visit their univerisities. Some of their campus are really huge and beautiful.

Notable ones are:
    In/Near Taipei
    National Chinese Culture University (Right on top of Yangmingshan, great view of Taipei)
    National Chengchi University (Maokong in the hills behind has some great teahouses)
    National Taiwan University (The coconut avenues there were inspiration for the song "椰林大道" by Huang Shu Jun)
    Fu Jen Catholic University (Sightseeing paradise for guys. Many of Taiwan's female artistes graduated from here. Eg. Jolin Tsai, Faye from F.I.R, Wu Peici, Ni Yalun)

Taoyuan
    National Central University (The entire campus is like one huge park)

Chiayi
    National Chung Cheng University (Where they filmed Meteor Garden)

I'm more familiar in and around Taipei, so didn't visit a lot of places in the south. :P

i think jiu fen is a beautiful place

i'll be going taiwan this coming wed. i'll tell u whats fun when im back. haha.

Thanks for the replies n advise.. Will check it out!

Wat is the must die die visit places in taiwan??

Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by shanice
    Wat is the must die die visit places in taiwan??

Any idea?
    hahah.. there's no die die must go place in Taiwan. really depends on what kind of things you wanna look at. Some go for the food, some go for the culture, some go for the fashion, some... just another place to strike off the list of Must-Go

really, go to Kinokuniya and browse through the reference to travel in Taiwan books in the chinese section. From there you can get info and perhaps find something that will interest you

Been there trice... but all for army training.... haha... but at the end there was a 2 day RNR can go out to the city to relax. Ive been to kaosiong.... would say its a very nice place... but beware of some cheaters.... some of my friends boarded a cab and the seemingly friendly taxi driver introduced them to a pub or something in the end after drinking like only a few cups of liquor it amounted to 500 SGD each. these people probably would spoil your holidays lol....

other than that also beware of the food sold at the roadsides. cos singaporeans have a weaker stomache... to them they can eat and not fall sick but not for us. but so far my three trips there didnt have any food poisoning... i would just advise you to eat and dont look at how they prepare their food if you wanna enjoy your meals lol...... shopping wise the stuffs are abit cheaper than singapore..... but beware for pirated or fake stuffs..... fashion wise i would say its a thumbs up.... when i was there the square cut levis jeans not in singapore yet.... lol plus some other stuffs that probably cant get in singapore....

in short i would say that there are only a few things to go for.....
    1. Night market..... lotsa food just like our pasar malam plus some things to see see....
    2. Shop.... the streets are organised according to things they sell e.g. there is one whole street just selling wedding gowns, one whole street selling shoes and sports wear, one whole street selling dried fruit products etc etc
    3. Scenics.... not sure about this cos i didnt have time for this but i went to keting too its a nice place by the beach but the stuffs there abit more expensive

Cool Re: Travel to Taiwan!!

wow... me oso going to taiwan, but with tour group. :P hope to take lots of pics...

Quote Originally Posted by elfvin
    i'll be going taiwan this coming wed. i'll tell u whats fun when im back. haha.
    Good luck to you, they are having a cold spell this week.