Thread: Law on photography of buildings

Default Law on photography of buildings

Does anyone know about the laws on photography of buildings?

I feel that as photographers, we should and must know the law. The rights of us as photographers, as well as the rights of the subject.

Nowadays, photography in buildings seems to be quite a big issue.

Default Re: Law on photography of buildings

im pretty sure there is a thread about this.. i posted something a while back... do a search ..

in a nutshell ..

if its in the open, you are free to shoot whatever you want. EVEN THE U.S embassy.

even in a shopping center, by law you are allowed to shoot anything inside that is in plain open view. Whether or not they will chase you out is aonther thing as they have the right to refuse anybody entry.

NOBODY can ask to see what you shoot OR ask you to delete what you shot.

What is not allowed.

people/items that have been placed in such a way that is not in plain view or intrudes onto someone personal space.

For example, you cannot go on out of ur flat window with a 600mm f4 and shoot at other people in their rooms.

disclaimer: this is for the u.s. I've talked to many photojournalist and this was what they told me.

"In" buildings or "of" buildings?

To shoot in buildings normally requires the building owner's permission (logical, right, if the building belongs to someone?)

To shoot a building from the outside (Eg from a public road) does not require any permission.

You should check threads by vince123123 as he has quoted the specific statutes in his responses.

Wai Leong
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Does anyone know about the laws on photography of buildings?

I feel that as photographers, we should and must know the law. The rights of us as photographers, as well as the rights of the subject.

Nowadays, photography in buildings seems to be quite a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    "In" buildings or "of" buildings?

To shoot in buildings normally requires the building owner's permission (logical, right, if the building belongs to someone?)

To shoot a building from the outside (Eg from a public road) does not require any permission.

You should check threads by vince123123 as he has quoted the specific statutes in his responses.

Wai Leong
    ===

does that mean that everyone taking a photo at the christmas tree in taka must ask for permission. ?

rule of thumb is if its in plain view, its can be photographed

Consolidate all info on laws here?

singapore's copyright act:
    64. The copyright in a building or a model of a building is not infringed by the making of a painting, drawing, engraving or photograph of the building or model or by the inclusion of the building or model in a cinematograph film or in a television broadcast.
    however, inside shopping centers or any private, govt buildings, they may not allow photography.
    Last edited by rncw; 12th March 2006 at 10:49 AM.