Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Default Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

take the heli ride from vegas
    think theres 1 along the strip

can get birds eye view of lake mead, hoover dam & grand canyon
    web | blog | fb | ig

MGM Grand now not as nice as last time already. The tour guide told me its been losing money every year. Might close down soon. If u go there take a pic of the Lion outside. Nice

The place i took pics from at the Grand Canyon was where all the tour buses go to. Nice place there if you see alot of people there, then u shd start looking arnd the area for a good spot Cause some tourist are a pain in the crack. Want to take shots they stand in front of u "blur blur" one

Quote Originally Posted by catseye
    haagen_daz, hondasleeper, justyn,

Thanks again for the many tips.

Las Vegas:
    American comedy should be fun, whilst the buffets .... oh my! Guess I may have no choice but to lug a tripod.

Grand Canyon:
    Starting out early, we should be at the Canyon in the afternoon, in time to catch the sunset. haagen_daz, thanks for the tip on the sunrise. Definitely stopping by Sedona, Falgstaff?, Hoover Dam (maybe on the way back).

You have to stop in Flagstaff in order to get to Sedona. It's on the way.

Just thought of something. If you don't want to lug a tripod along, check out the local camera/equipment rental houses out there. Could probably rent one for US$10/day or less. I am sure there are some in Vegas or you could call some of thelocal photographers and find out from them where to rent equipment from.

If you have a few nights in Vegas, try walking down the strip starting from Treasure Island for the free pirate show. Then take photos of the Mirage volcano, and Caesar Palace. The buffet at Caesar Palace is one of the better ones with lots of decent seafood. Then you must watch the fountains at Bellagio, take some digital and video of Frank Sinatra's songs synchronizing to the fountains.
    The advice from other CSer's are pretty sound for Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
    Have fun!

I heard the Pirate show now no more liao since the new management took over the Treasure Island hotel :dead:

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    You have to stop in Flagstaff in order to get to Sedona. It's on the way.

Just thought of something. If you don't want to lug a tripod along, check out the local camera/equipment rental houses out there. Could probably rent one for US$10/day or less. I am sure there are some in Vegas or you could call some of thelocal photographers and find out from them where to rent equipment from.
    brother ... thanks for this tip.

Guys .... thanks for so many tips! Wow .... I sure need to soak it in and plan the route based on your many suggestions. Presently, while in Vegas, we will be staying at the Aladdin.

It is really worth visiting Flagstaff, Sedona, Oak Creek, Montezuma Castle and Old Town Scottsdale..I was there just last month and really enjoyed the morning cold drive to Grand Canyon South Rim and it was -15 C.. not that warm infact..
    Saro

Quote Originally Posted by srisaro
    It is really worth visiting Flagstaff, Sedona, Oak Creek, Montezuma Castle and Old Town Scottsdale..I was there just last month and really enjoyed the morning cold drive to Grand Canyon South Rim and it was -15 C.. not that warm infact..
    Wow ... that's "cool". That must be more than a day trip!

Quote Originally Posted by nacnud
    If you have a few nights in Vegas, try walking down the strip starting from Treasure Island for the free pirate show. Then take photos of the Mirage volcano, and Caesar Palace. The buffet at Caesar Palace is one of the better ones with lots of decent seafood. Then you must watch the fountains at Bellagio, take some digital and video of Frank Sinatra's songs synchronizing to the fountains.
    The advice from other CSer's are pretty sound for Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
    Have fun!

Volcano show and the water foutains at Bellagio is a must watch

was in vegas december 2005 and took the helicopter to the canyon as it saves about 8 hours of driving through dusty desert [ didnt want that fir the cameras] however, i sat on the right of the helicopter and had to shoot into the sun so woulkd be much better if you sit on the left . you get fabulous aerial views of hoover dam and surrounding ladscape. wide angles and zooms needed. in the canyon you can get onto a boat and cruise down the colorado river and shoot animal life on the river banks but you need at least 300 mm here.

in vegas, nice photo opportunities are the mosaic floor [ macro] of the wynnn hotel, the roof of the venetian hotel and the multicoloured huge glass flowers on the roof of the bellagio hotel lobby. THIS IS A MUST !!! but you need a tripod here. i found the bellagio fountains overrated but go have a look

sorry should have said that the heli ride was at 7 am when the sun hits you from ther right going to the canyon so sit on the left. coming back was around noon when the sun was too high and bad for photos so shoot all you want on the way there. coming back you can photo the highways leading to vegas but that was about it.heli ride we used papillon which was about the cheapest but book it along the strip or get a brochure from the hotel and call them direct, saves about 20 % comapred to if you book thru hotel

Me going to Vegas at the end of March and staying at Aladdin/Planet Hollywood too!!
    Did you get the promotional price of $79 per nite?

Not visiting Grand Canyon but will be going to Death Valley and Red Rock Canyon.
    Going to bring my tripod with me for The Strip!
    My Photoblog
    Canon 350D,kit lens,Canon 100mm Macro,Coolpix 5000.

There is a nearby attraction called Meteor Crater, which is about 30+ miles from Flagstaff. A meteor crashed into the area and made a huge crater. Rim-to-rim diameter is about 1 mile or 1.6km.

Quote Originally Posted by Joywalker
    Me going to Vegas at the end of March and staying at Aladdin/Planet Hollywood too!!
    Did you get the promotional price of $79 per nite?

Not visiting Grand Canyon but will be going to Death Valley and Red Rock Canyon.
    Going to bring my tripod with me for The Strip!
    Hi Joywalker .... if all goes as planned, I should be at the Aladdin from 25th to 30th morning! We should say hi then, and maybe can shoot one during of the nights!

Well, as this is a company trip ... it is all paid for .... heard it is quite ex. BTW, how did you get this special promo price, we are still looking for a good price hotel for Friday night in LV before we take the plane back home.

Quote Originally Posted by weeteck
    sorry should have said that the heli ride was at 7 am when the sun hits you from ther right going to the canyon so sit on the left. coming back was around noon when the sun was too high and bad for photos so shoot all you want on the way there. coming back you can photo the highways leading to vegas but that was about it.heli ride we used papillon which was about the cheapest but book it along the strip or get a brochure from the hotel and call them direct, saves about 20 % comapred to if you book thru hotel
    weeteck, thanks for the tip..... Wah, heard the trip on the heli should be very ex! about US$400? the most we are considering is to take the heli ride at the canyon itself.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_lkt
    There is a nearby attraction called Meteor Crater, which is about 30+ miles from Flagstaff. A meteor crashed into the area and made a huge crater. Rim-to-rim diameter is about 1 mile or 1.6km.
    thanks.... sound like more photo opportunities here.... but probably need a super-wide WA lens

yes heli ride quite ex but i weighed that against a once in a life time opportunity for aerial shots of desert rocks the canyon and hoover dam. would not repeat again though. enjoy

Hi Guys ... now on the way back from my trip. Did not manage to get an internet link while there so will post some of the better looking "snaps" over the next couple days in my APAD thread.

Thanks guys for all your advice in this thread ....

At the end, due to the limited time, visited the following places ....

MGM Grand
    Aladdin
    Bellagio
    Treasure Island
    Stratospehere

Hoover Dam
    Grand Canyon.

Last edited by catseye; 9th April 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12