Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

Quote Originally Posted by BirdRobin
    1) DSLR
    2) One useful range lens eg. 18-55mm, 18-70mm... (if you are just starting that is. Kit lenses are ok.)
    3) 1gb memory card. for storing your pictures. (usually bundled with your DSLR.)
    3) UV filter for your lens. This acts as a protection for the front of your lens.
    4) Blower to get rid of dust. dont ever blow with your mouth... coz got water vapour.
    5) Microfiber cloth. clean your camera, and the front glass of your lens.
    6) Dry cabinet or Dry box (that is a airtight box, with silica gel beads.) For storage. This is essential because you will have to keep your camera in a dry place. or else mould and fungus will grow on your lenses and viewfinder.
    7) Memory card reader. For transfering your pictures to your computer.
    8) Tripod. You will need this for night shots.

----------------- buy all above this line, then get those below this line------------------

8) more lenses.
    9) more lenses.
    hrm...so how much does each individual thingy cost except fer DSLR w/ kit lens n the cf card...ani idea?? thxs

think you have to see see llook look in different shop. i'm an slr user. thinking of getting 350d soon too.

since i have canon lens. have to stick to canon body. :P

2) Canon should still have the free 1gb promo iirc
    3) depending on brand and thread size.. a normal Hoya UV Guard perhaps around 10-15 bucks for kit 58mm
    4) a 10 bucks jumbo hurricane should do the job fairly well
    5) i use my sunglass cloth from oakley so FOC
    6) dry cabi 30L = $99, Drybox + gel around $20+5~
    7) Memory card reader avg $20~
    8) tripod depending on brand.. for a start can get a slik PRO 330DX around $120~ or a popular model manfrotto 190PRO etc for higher price.

hope this helps

If say i was taking night shots?? so normally wad sort of apperture wld i use?? a smaller apperture (f5.6 - f8) or a lager aperture(>f2.8)??

If say if i zoom, dan am i still able to choose ani aperture size dat i wan??

thxs

Quote Originally Posted by eugenep
    It really depends on user... i normally use aperture priority instead of shutter..

For more details, i leave the PROs.. to explain... heehe..
    If you know the history of Canon and Nikon.... (here I go again...) people who started with Nikon likes to use aperture priority because only that was available on the early automatic exposure bodies because Nikon lenses did not have a proper control of the aperture, so only the shutter speed can be electronically controlled by the body.

Canon, however, knowing that they cannot beat Nikon in the general and press photography aspect (because Nikon lenses were more contrasty and very good for B&W photography), designed their system to be very strong in sports photography, with tele lenses (then, the FD ones) slighty cheaper than Nikon tele lenses. Also, being a technology company, they were already able to have automatic control of the aperture which makes it very useful for sports, where shutter speed is more important than depth of field. Therefore, Canon is able to make a mark in that because of the shutter priority.

Even when Nikon launched the FA body and introduced AiS lenses to be able to have the body controlling the aperture, the shutter priority is still not as accurate as Canon's because it was limited by the mechanical coupling and accuracy of the control. Therefore predominantly, when it comes to shutter priority photography, Canon still had an edge over Nikon.

When AF technology kicks in, Canon drops the FD mount and redesigned the EF mount which has fully electronic coupling, while Nikon still keeps the F-mount. There are pros and cons in both systems.

For Nikon, there is continuity (even until now), and this is the stronghold of Nikon. It becomes a brand that people can trust, a brand that will not abandon it's supporters. Cons, the mount itself is a limiting factor. Now we feel the impact that having a smaller diameter, it is not easy to get a wide angle lens to project straight onto the digital sensor, which led Nikon to adopt the DX sensor size (probably until they find a good solution). Nikon believes in quality.

For Canon, things change radically (Canon is predominantly a technology company). The EF mount opens up a lot of new opportunities for Canon. However, lens prices becomes more expensive because each lens has to have it's own motor for the AF. With a larger diameter than the FD mount, it is also easy to make adapters which can fit existing lenses. It was future proofing in a sense. From a system point of view, it was ideal because each lens has its own customized motor, etc, but it has also saw many users using third party lenses because of the prices of the original lenses. Knowing their strengths in tele and sports photography, they were able to make long lenses focus even faster, something which Nikon wasn't able to do until they find the need to keep up or lose out with the AF-I lenses. Then came the USMs. Again, Nikon has to keep up or lose out.

But today, the only edge Canon has is the full frame sensor, because Nikon has kept up with the technology and also retained its strongest hold.. quality, reliability and continuity in the F-mount because Nikon believed that they should not abandon their supporters, one thing which Canon stopped short of by introducing the EOS system. However, press photography is seeing a switch to Canon because of the perks. Because Canon understands that marketing and support is also important. And Nikon lags in this aspect.

So who is right? Nobody knows, by this time, people would probably not notice the difference anyway. Not many people use FD lenses or the old Nikon AI lenses to reap the continuity benefit anyway. However, Nikon started with and still is an optics company and still excel in that, which is why they are still in contention. However, if they do not understand that technology, marketing and support other than reliability, quality and continuity are also important, they will start to lose out to Canon.

For me, I chose Nikon, probably I don't need the marketing and support.. ..yet. Bottomline is, both are good systems, whichever one you choose, know its strengths and weaknesses. Harness the strengths and overcome the weaknesses of the system to your advantage.

So now you know why some people use A (Av) and some people use S (Tv).
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 24th March 2006 at 11:05 AM.

Good and useful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    If you know the history of Canon and Nikon.... (here I go again...) people who started with Nikon likes to use aperture priority because only that was available on the early automatic exposure bodies because Nikon lenses did not have a proper control of the aperture, so only the shutter speed can be electronically controlled by the body.

Canon, however, knowing that they cannot beat Nikon in the general and press photography aspect (because Nikon lenses were more contrasty and very good for B&W photography), designed their system to be very strong in sports photography, with tele lenses (then, the FD ones) slighty cheaper than Nikon tele lenses. Also, being a technology company, they were already able to have automatic control of the aperture which makes it very useful for sports, where shutter speed is more important than depth of field. Therefore, Canon is able to make a mark in that because of the shutter priority.

Even when Nikon launched the FA body and introduced AiS lenses to be able to have the body controlling the aperture, the shutter priority is still not as accurate as Canon's because it was limited by the mechanical coupling and accuracy of the control. Therefore predominantly, when it comes to shutter priority photography, Canon still had an edge over Nikon.

When AF technology kicks in, Canon drops the FD mount and redesigned the EF mount which has fully electronic coupling, while Nikon still keeps the F-mount. There are pros and cons in both systems.

For Nikon, there is continuity (even until now), and this is the stronghold of Nikon. It becomes a brand that people can trust, a brand that will not abandon it's supporters. Cons, the mount itself is a limiting factor. Now we feel the impact that having a smaller diameter, it is not easy to get a wide angle lens to project straight onto the digital sensor, which led Nikon to adopt the DX sensor size (probably until they find a good solution). Nikon believes in quality.

For Canon, things change radically (Canon is predominantly a technology company). The EF mount opens up a lot of new opportunities for Canon. However, lens prices becomes more expensive because each lens has to have it's own motor for the AF. With a larger diameter than the FD mount, it is also easy to make adapters which can fit existing lenses. It was future proofing in a sense. From a system point of view, it was ideal because each lens has its own customized motor, etc, but it has also saw many users using third party lenses because of the prices of the original lenses. Knowing their strengths in tele and sports photography, they were able to make long lenses focus even faster, something which Nikon wasn't able to do until they find the need to keep up or lose out with the AF-I lenses. Then came the USMs. Again, Nikon has to keep up or lose out.

But today, the only edge Canon has is the full frame sensor, because Nikon has kept up with the technology and also retained its strongest hold.. quality, reliability and continuity in the F-mount because Nikon believed that they should not abandon their supporters, one thing which Canon stopped short of by introducing the EOS system. However, press photography is seeing a switch to Canon because of the perks. Because Canon understands that marketing and support is also important. And Nikon lags in this aspect.

So who is right? Nobody knows, by this time, people would probably not notice the difference anyway. Not many people use FD lenses or the old Nikon AI lenses to reap the continuity benefit anyway. However, Nikon started with and still is an optics company and still excel in that, which is why they are still in contention. However, if they do not understand that technology, marketing and support other than reliability, quality and continuity are also important, they will start to lose out to Canon.

For me, I chose Nikon, probably I don't need the marketing and support.. ..yet. Bottomline is, both are good systems, whichever one you choose, know its strengths and weaknesses. Harness the strengths and overcome the weaknesses of the system to your advantage.

So now you know why some people use A (Av) and some people use S (Tv).

OT
    If you have trouble finding a good camera shop,

I can give you good prices on the canon camera if you interested. JUs pm me. Jus a mini reseller!

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    OT
    If you have trouble finding a good camera shop,

I can give you good prices on the canon camera if you interested. JUs pm me. Jus a mini reseller!
    dan how much is the 350d new one??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234