Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    hmm for the kit lens, it say 18-55mm f3.5, f4.5..meaning dat at 18mm, max is 3.5, at 55mm max is 4.5 rite?? so am i able to use higher f values??
    Correct, to a certain extent. The kit lens is actually 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. That means that the max aperture is f/5.6 at 55mm. However you are right at saying that you will be able to use any aperture smaller (ie. higher f value) than f/3.5 at the 18mm end. Usually, I switch the camera to aperture priority mode and set the aperture at f/8. This means that you will get extensive depth of field and won't be able to play with background blur effects. If you want to do that, select the largest possible aperture instead. But I've found the kit lens to produce soft results at any aperture value smaller than f/5.6.

ohhh meaning to say if i zoom at the maxium i still can use f8 but no blur effects la?? while at f5.6 dan will get blur effects??

ohhh meaning to say if i zoom at the maxium i still can use f8 but no blur effects la?? while at f5.6 dan will get blur effects??
    Yes, there is a higher possibility for background blur effects (bokeh) at f/5.6 than at f/8. However, the degree of bokeh you'll get in your picture is dependent on a few factors which are closely related to one another:

- The focal length of your lens: In this case, the kit lens has a focal length of 55mm at its longest end. The longer the focal length, the more likely you are to see bokeh because longer focal length lenses (ie. telephotos) have less depth of field than a wideangle lens. To put it simply, 55mm is a rather short focal length.

- The aperture setting: large apertures (ie. smaller F numbers, eg. f/1.8, f/2) give shallower depth of field than small apertures (ie. large F number, eg. f/8, f/11). Hence, you'll get a greater degree of bokeh with a large aperture than a small one, all other factors being equal. With the kit lens that has a max aperture of f/5.6 at the longest end, that's relatively small, and it's harder to get a background blur effect.

- The subject distance: this is the distance between the camera and your subject. The closer you are to your subject, the more limited the depth of field becomes and the more likely you are to see bokeh. I think you can get as close as 28cm to your subject with the kit lens. If your subject is very far away, depth of field is extensive. For very far subjects, it's possible to get most things in sharp focus even if you're using a long focal length and a large aperture.

- The distance of the subject from the background: the further the subject is from the background, the more likely you are to see bokeh.

The kit lens is more of a 'landscape' lens. It's inherent properties (short focal length, small max apertures) mean that it will produce quite extensive depth of field in most circumstances, and most elements in the picture will be sharp. It is hence good for group snapshots, informal portraits, candids, environmental street photographs, architecture, interiors etc.

If you absolutely want to have a play with blur effects, try looking for the 50mm f/1.8 lens. However, shoot first with the kit lens and decide if you indeed need to buy anything else above that. It's more important to get a lens that you know you will use often, than to get something that you're interested to use only for experimentation because the novelty will soon wear off and you'll have another paperweight in your dry cabinet. That said, the 50mm f/1.8 is a very cheap lens that some people use as a portrait lens on the 350D, or as an indoor sports lens. The speed of its focus however, is slow and noisy.

I'm not realli into blur effects lo...cause now mi digicam, at different lighting, the min apperture speed wld change automatically, sometimes onli can choose at onli 2.9 or 3.5 hehe...will dat happen fer DSLR??

I'm not realli into blur effects lo...cause now mi digicam, at different lighting, the min apperture speed wld change automatically, sometimes onli can choose at onli 2.9 or 3.5 hehe...will dat happen fer DSLR??
    With a DSLR, you'll have a great deal of control, even on the basic models. Frankly, the 350D's features far surpasses my skill to use them at this time. For control of depth of field, simply use Aperture Priority mode. Choose the aperture according to what depth of field you want, or the effect you want to achieve, and the shutter speed will be set automatically by the camera to maintain correct exposure. If you absolutely want full control of shutter speed and aperture, then there is also a manual mode. The 350D exposure meter will still show you if your shot will be overexposed or underexposed.

hmm...okie...okie...but now there's a D50 fer sale at 900...so u tink shld i get d50 or 350d??

hmm...okie...okie...but now there's a D50 fer sale at 900...so u tink shld i get d50 or 350d??
    Try your hands on both, then get the one that feels best and comfortable in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    Try your hands on both, then get the one that feels best and comfortable in your hands.
    Absolutely. If your budget can support it, try also the Nikon D70, D70s and the Canon 20D. I think the 20D is readily available in the B&S market now...price-wise it's very tempting and I was even considering upgrading from the 350D just for the heck of it. But I probably don't need the extra features at this time.

tink now i wld consider the D50 or 350D ani suggestions??

from recent trend, I think the 350D wont satisfy you for very long, hehe...
    might as well save a bit, jump directly to the EOS 30D.
    This way at least you can keep the camera for a few years and not change cameras often like many people here (check out Buy & Sell thread)

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    from recent trend, I think the 350D wont satisfy you for very long, hehe...
    might as well save a bit, jump directly to the EOS 30D.
    This way at least you can keep the camera for a few years and not change cameras often like many people here (check out Buy & Sell thread)
    wad?? buy 30D?? i not dat pro lei...hmm..wount satisfy?? haiz...now in two worlds lo...lol...Say if i get 350D or 30d?? Wad other accessories i gotta get?? Dry Cabinet, tripod, wad bout the UV Filter n battery grip n the handstrap n camera bag??

wad?? buy 30D?? i not dat pro lei...hmm..wount satisfy?? haiz...now in two worlds lo...lol...Say if i get 350D or 30d?? Wad other accessories i gotta get?? Dry Cabinet, tripod, wad bout the UV Filter n battery grip n the handstrap n camera bag??
    It'd be hard to give you a recommendation from here since your shooting style and skill will differ from mine. But again, for my level of skill (low as the pits), the 350D far surpasses it in terms of its own features. The 30D is certainly more 'spicy' and has more kick than the 350D, but you'll need to compare them both and decide if the extra cost is really worth it.

Remember that the camera body is just the start down a long and slippery track to bankruptcy. The lenses will cost more than the body in some instances. For example, a 350D might now run at around $1500. And if you want to buy a big telephoto zoom such as the 100-400mm to go with that, it will be another $2700 or so. What if you want to upgrade your kit lens? It'd cost around $1000 for the EF-S 17-85mm, or the EF 17-40mm f/4L.

Be very careful with where you put your cash.

hmm...okie...dan wad bout buying the 300d?? ppl selling a new one at 800 at b&s

Never ... i rather u get a 2nd hand 350 or D70 then a 300D

get a D50...got one and never looked back...train for maybe a year then get a D200

so wad accessories is a must when i get mi DSLR??

Went thru this thread, and I think fWord had being helpful and patience.
    He had shared some very good tips and information to newbies and everyone here.
    for him.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    Went thru this thread, and I think fWord had being helpful and patience.
    He had shared some very good tips and information to newbies and everyone here.
    for him.
    Thanks. Up for photography.

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    get a D50...got one and never looked back...train for maybe a year then get a D200
    yeah dude. and you need to upgrade your kit lens...
    T11-16F2.8G|N24F1.4G|N50F1.8G|S50F1.4G|N70-200F2.8GVRI

so wad accessories is a must when i get mi DSLR??
    1) DSLR
    2) One useful range lens eg. 18-55mm, 18-70mm... (if you are just starting that is. Kit lenses are ok.)
    3) 1gb memory card. for storing your pictures. (usually bundled with your DSLR.)
    3) UV filter for your lens. This acts as a protection for the front of your lens.
    4) Blower to get rid of dust. dont ever blow with your mouth... coz got water vapour.
    5) Microfiber cloth. clean your camera, and the front glass of your lens.
    6) Dry cabinet or Dry box (that is a airtight box, with silica gel beads.) For storage. This is essential because you will have to keep your camera in a dry place. or else mould and fungus will grow on your lenses and viewfinder.
    7) Memory card reader. For transfering your pictures to your computer.
    8) Tripod. You will need this for night shots.

----------------- buy all above this line, then get those below this line------------------

8) more lenses.
    9) more lenses.
    T11-16F2.8G|N24F1.4G|N50F1.8G|S50F1.4G|N70-200F2.8GVRI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast