Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68

Thread: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    so wif the kit lens?? is total of how many lenses?? so fer zoom, i cld just use the optical zoom of the camera instead of the lens zoom??
    The 350D has plenty of basic modes for you to play with and slowly learn the ropes. Don't even worry about it, because I don't think anyone will struggle with this camera if they take some time to lie down on the bed, read the manual and experiment with the camera nearby with the lens already mounted on.

    The way to zoom with an SLR system is different from a compact camera. With compacts, you simply press buttons to zoom in or out. In SLR lenses, there's usually two rings: a focus ring and a zoom ring. To zoom the lens in or out, you'll have to turn the zoom ring clockwise or anticlockwise. To find out which direction is which, simply take off the front lens cap, look through the viewfinder and turn the ring at the same time.

    Don't worry too much about the focus ring at this time, and never ever turn this ring forcefully unless the lens switch is switched at MF. If you force it while the switch is at AF, it might damage the lens. That said, more expensive lenses will have FTM (full-time manual focusing) which means that you can turn the focus ring regardless of the position of the switch. But worry about this later.

    For now, I want you to remember one thing: shoot A LOT with the kit lens before deciding what your next lens purchase should be. DON'T EVEN OPEN THE LENS BOOK WHICH CANON GAVE YOU! Hmm...never mind, scrap that. Skip the section on the lenses and proceed straight on to Photographic Techniques for some bare bones basics, but don't buy any lenses at this time.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    The 350D has plenty of basic modes for you to play with and slowly learn the ropes. Don't even worry about it, because I don't think anyone will struggle with this camera if they take some time to lie down on the bed, read the manual and experiment with the camera nearby with the lens already mounted on.

    The way to zoom with an SLR system is different from a compact camera. With compacts, you simply press buttons to zoom in or out. In SLR lenses, there's usually two rings: a focus ring and a zoom ring. To zoom the lens in or out, you'll have to turn the zoom ring clockwise or anticlockwise. To find out which direction is which, simply take off the front lens cap, look through the viewfinder and turn the ring at the same time.

    Don't worry too much about the focus ring at this time, and never ever turn this ring forcefully unless the lens switch is switched at MF. If you force it while the switch is at AF, it might damage the lens. That said, more expensive lenses will have FTM (full-time manual focusing) which means that you can turn the focus ring regardless of the position of the switch. But worry about this later.

    For now, I want you to remember one thing: shoot A LOT with the kit lens before deciding what your next lens purchase should be. DON'T EVEN OPEN THE LENS BOOK WHICH CANON GAVE YOU! Hmm...never mind, scrap that. Skip the section on the lenses and proceed straight on to Photographic Techniques for some bare bones basics, but don't buy any lenses at this time.
    hrm...so to say if i get a 350d kit, i wld get the lens which i can zoom n focus?? now my concern is how many lenses does it come wif this package?? thxs

  3. #23
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    hrm...so to say if i get a 350d kit, i wld get the lens which i can zoom n focus?? now my concern is how many lenses does it come wif this package?? thxs
    1 lens, it's a zoom lens and probably good enough for your initial needs.

    The lens works with the camera in doing either manual or autofocus, depending on how you set the focus.

    You gotta read the manual then you'll understand dude.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    oic...kk thxs alot man...learnt alot...hope will do take betta pictures...but now worried if frm olyp jump ship to canon DSLR, will ppl laugh at mi anot..cause take a DSLR dan dunno how to take pics..

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    oic...kk thxs alot man...learnt alot...hope will do take betta pictures...but now worried if frm olyp jump ship to canon DSLR, will ppl laugh at mi anot..cause take a DSLR dan dunno how to take pics..
    Nah...if anybody laughs at you then good, you know who to avoid in the future. Everyone's got to start somewhere. For example, I also bought a film camera today, and I've never tried seriously shooting film before.

    In reality it's the newbies that we should respect more...for who knows what they might become in the future?

  6. #26
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    oic...kk thxs alot man...learnt alot...hope will do take betta pictures...but now worried if frm olyp jump ship to canon DSLR, will ppl laugh at mi anot..cause take a DSLR dan dunno how to take pics..
    U gotta start somewhere dude. Nobody was born to take pictures well.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Nah...if anybody laughs at you then good, you know who to avoid in the future. Everyone's got to start somewhere. For example, I also bought a film camera today, and I've never tried seriously shooting film before.

    In reality it's the newbies that we should respect more...for who knows what they might become in the future?
    Yes i agree I started with my handphone camera then played with a P&S camera. ONly revently for a film SLR

    Btw what camera did you buy?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Dude, no offence but you're not ready for a dSLR yet. You don't know a thing about it, other than the fact that its a camera. I've read many newbie posts asking for advice on buying dSLRs... your qns suggest that you don't have a clear idea of what its all about. Not good, esp since a dSLR is a rather costly investment.

    Everybody starts somewhere, so I suggest you get something from the powershot series, if you're interested. Get a grip on the basics.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    Yes i agree I started with my handphone camera then played with a P&S camera. ONly revently for a film SLR

    Btw what camera did you buy?
    Because of an interest in old stuff I actually went for a Canon A-1 with a 35-70mm lens. I would have preferred to get a 50mm prime instead since I've never shot with one before, but the zoom will do for now unless I can trade it off with somebody.

    I'm dying to take it out for a shoot, but am now stuck in camp for the rest of the week, and cameras aren't allowed in here.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    if so where do u all normally learn tips and technique then ?>
    as in keep on taking more pictures and then post it online for critics ?
    or learn from other pro ...
    anyway side track abit.
    how to distinguish a pro and a hobbist ?
    cos i have seen some hobbist that is almost like a pro having those ex dslr , but then they said they are just purely hobbist..

    is there any certs for a photographer ?
    Last edited by bluecoral81; 13th March 2006 at 03:00 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecoral81
    if so where do u all normally learn tips and technique then ?>
    as in keep on taking more pictures and then post it online for critics ?
    or learn from other pro ...
    anyway side track abit.
    how to distinguish a pro and a hobbist ?
    cos i have seen some hobbist that is almost like a pro having those ex dslr , but then they said they are just purely hobbist..

    is there any certs for a photographer ?
    There's a lot to learn online. If you search for 'photography tutorial' in google, you'll probably have quite a few sites to go through. There are also a heap of photography books in most libraries that you can pick up and gradually go through. Start with the books that look the most basic, and if you think you can already handle that, start looking into books that teach you about creative aspects of composition, exposure etc. Also consider looking at books that target your area of interest. Some of the threads here also contain good information, where there's constantly an influx of questions and then answers from more experienced people.

    Personally I think it's hard to differentiate between a 'pro' and a 'hobbyist'. It's a very gray area and we can't put people strictly into either category, although it is possible to say that anybody who makes the bulk of their living money from photography is a professional and anything other than that is a hobbyist, amateur or a serious amateur. There are certainly various grades of hobbyist or amateur. Some are primarily snapshooters. They take photos of whatever looks nice or take casual family photos, but don't pay overt attention to composition, lighting etc to produce an 'artistic' image.

    Compare this to the more serious ones who will read a lot, plough huge sums of money into gear, get up early in the morning before sunrise to catch the best light, join competitions etc. Again, there's no clear definition for what's a pro and what's a hobbyist. I think it is unimportant anyway. As long as you are doing what you like, and enjoy photography as an activity in itself, that is great. Do what YOU like. If what you like is to capture only family moments, do it. If you enjoy producing photos that please others and want to win a prize in a competition, go for it!

    And if you like spending big bucks on equipment without taking any photos, by all means do so as well if your budget permits. However that in itself is not the idea of photography, per se, although many photographers are just as interested in the technical aspects of equipment as they are obsessed with producing the perfect image.

    Yes, there are certs for photography...diplomas or degrees. I didn't study them though, so I couldn't tell you in detail. But some studio photographers will have these certs hanging on their walls. If you can bump into some, strike up a conversation and see what they can tell you.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    so most pros now shld tink dat i shld not get a DSLR now??

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    so most pros now shld tink dat i shld not get a DSLR now??
    Personally, I think you should do as you please. If you can afford it, have patience and are willing to invest time and effort into something, it will pay off. It isn't hard to pick up the use of a DSLR, and compared to most things in the world (eg. studying for exams), I should think this would be a piece of cake. It's easier than you think. Most things these days are made with ease-of-use in mind.

    The 350D, as an example, has quite a few idiot modes available. So, assuming that even if you are a complete idiot (which I am sure you're not), it should be no problem operating the camera. The true challenge comes after you have a good feel for your camera controls. The difficulty is in the photography itself, learning how to make a photo that is appealing, expressive and timeless, as it is creative.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Hey thanks alot...when i get le, ani questions can refer to u guys?? lol

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    Hey thanks alot...when i get le, ani questions can refer to u guys?? lol
    Yes...any questions at all, please feel free to post them up to look for answers. But for some basic problems, try the camera manual first, or searching online on Google, otherwise people will give you the "RTFM" or "Read the F***** manual" kinda answers.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    another question, u told mi to use the kit lens first...so the features like MF?? means wad?? dan wad if i wann take macro shots?? use aperture priority?? thxs

  17. #37

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    another question, u told mi to use the kit lens first...so the features like MF?? means wad?? dan wad if i wann take macro shots?? use aperture priority?? thxs
    For all these questions, you will find out when you take the 350D tutorial at

    http://images.photoworkshop.com/rebe...interface.html

    Take some time, go read all the tutorials. It's very useful.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    hmm for the kit lens, it say 18-55mm f3.5, f4.5..meaning dat at 18mm, max is 3.5, at 55mm max is 4.5 rite?? so am i able to use higher f values??

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    so most pros now shld tink dat i shld not get a DSLR now??
    1. I'm not a pro

    2. Even then I'm still telling you not to waste yr money. The simple ans is NO, not until you actually know what you're doing.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecoral81
    how to distinguish a pro and a hobbist ?
    A professional photographs for money. A hobbyist photographs because s/he likes to do it. It has nothing to do with skill, equipment, or other apparent attributes. In short: you can't distinguish them unless you ask them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •