Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011
    Hi all,

    DSLR for work, film SLR for backup whenever I do events and weddings.

    Regards
    But for weddings isn't that u must bring lots of film and spare sets of batts for your flash? Cos i'm doing one next saturday and i'm only using film.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    But for weddings isn't that u must bring lots of film and spare sets of batts for your flash? Cos i'm doing one next saturday and i'm only using film.
    Yes, you need to bring at least 5 more rolls than the intended number of rolls just in case. Spare batts, at least 2 sets with 1 fresh set already in the flash.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    When i went to collect my first roll of slides at Ruby Photo today, the person told me that shooting with film trains u up to be more confident of yr shots so when using digital will be very easy. Also the quality of film is still better than any DSLR....are these true?
    The first part on building confidence is true. When shooting film, usually you will tend to pay more attention to the composition and exposure setting before releasing the shutter. In a sense you become more conservative. So that will make you more discipline when you cross over to digital. There are some people who start with digital who think that they don't need to know these basics because the camera can do it for them and even if it's wrong they can see it immediately.

    As for the second part, there are varying opinions. My opinion is digital has advanced to a stage where technically it can potentially be equal or better to colour film of the same sensitivity. Of course there are people who have different opinion and I respect that too. Having come from a film background myself, I have to concede that film does have its merits, though I find digital more convenient.

    As someone who is quite picky, I only started venturing into digital because it has come to a point where I think it can already match film. I don't want to invite flames but I do hope that film advocates keep an open mind to technology.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yes, you need to bring at least 5 more rolls than the intended number of rolls just in case. Spare batts, at least 2 sets with 1 fresh set already in the flash.
    Hmmm ok, but i don't use rechargeables for my flash, only alkalines.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    The first part on building confidence is true. When shooting film, usually you will tend to pay more attention to the composition and exposure setting before releasing the shutter. In a sense you become more conservative. So that will make you more discipline when you cross over to digital. There are some people who start with digital who think that they don't need to know these basics because the camera can do it for them and even if it's wrong they can see it immediately.

    As for the second part, there are varying opinions. My opinion is digital has advanced to a stage where technically it can potentially be equal or better to colour film of the same sensitivity. Of course there are people who have different opinion and I respect that too. Having come from a film background myself, I have to concede that film does have its merits, though I find digital more convenient.

    As someone who is quite picky, I only started venturing into digital because it has come to a point where I think it can already match film. I don't want to invite flames but I do hope that film advocates keep an open mind to technology.
    Yes of cos digital is a lot more convenient as you can delete a picture if it's taken wrongly or not needed. So if you say to some point where it can match film, does that include slides?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Yes of cos digital is a lot more convenient as you can delete a picture if it's taken wrongly or not needed. So if you say to some point where it can match film, does that include slides?
    It depends on whether you are comparing the output technically or you want to compare it to a projected image like one of our friends in another thread wants to. To project a full 6mp image will take an array of digital projectors and that will cost a bomb. A good slide projector will cost less than $2000.

    Intrinsicaly, the resolution achievable by digital has reached a point that it can be potentially better than colour negs/slides technically.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    It depends on whether you are comparing the output technically or you want to compare it to a projected image like one of our friends in another thread wants to. To project a full 6mp image will take an array of digital projectors and that will cost a bomb. A good slide projector will cost less than $2000.

    Intrinsicaly, the resolution achievable by digital has reached a point that it can be potentially better than colour negs/slides technically.
    Hmmm...but many people in photo labs and cam shops still tell me film are better than digital.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Hmmm...but many people in photo labs and cam shops still tell me film are better than digital.
    Why bother with what others think. Just use whatever medium that you think looks good and works best. If you think digital still can't match film, then use film. If you think there isn't much difference and digital is more convenient, then use digital. Simple as that.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Why bother with what others think. Just use whatever medium that you think looks good and works best. If you think digital still can't match film, then use film. If you think there isn't much difference and digital is more convenient, then use digital. Simple as that.
    Well...ok then
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Hmmm...but many people in photo labs and cam shops still tell me film are better than digital.
    Very much like why some people think that vinyls are better than CDs. If you record a vinyl sound to a CD, it will be reproduced exactly as how the vinyl will sound. If however you cut a CD into a vinyl, the vinyl will alter the sound of the CD. So which is technically more accurate?

    You can do the same exercise for film. You can scan a film into digital (with high enough resolution) and you would preserve the qualities of film (if anyone wants to dispute this, then I challenge you not to print using Frontier machines, when e.pic first came out, I always ask the lab to do my prints from the older optical machines until they phased it out.. that is so sad.. ). If, however, you write a digital image into a film, the film will permanently alter the digital image.

    So like the vinyl vs CD, film vs digital has also become subjective because people are more used to the imperfections of film which gives it's distinct quality. Because of it's non repeatability that each image is unique. But if accuracy is what you want to compare, then digital media win hands down because number are just numbers, they are either correct or wrong.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Why bother with what others think. Just use whatever medium that you think looks good and works best. If you think digital still can't match film, then use film. If you think there isn't much difference and digital is more convenient, then use digital. Simple as that.
    exactly! Although I'm shooting predominantly digital now, I still use film at times.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Very much like why some people think that vinyls are better than CDs. If you record a vinyl sound to a CD, it will be reproduced exactly as how the vinyl will sound. If however you cut a CD into a vinyl, the vinyl will alter the sound of the CD. So which is technically more accurate?

    You can do the same exercise for film. You can scan a film into digital (with high enough resolution) and you would preserve the qualities of film (if anyone wants to dispute this, then I challenge you not to print using Frontier machines, when e.pic first came out, I always ask the lab to do my prints from the older optical machines until they phased it out.. that is so sad.. ). If, however, you write a digital image into a film, the film will permanently alter the digital image.

    So like the vinyl vs CD, film vs digital has also become subjective because people are more used to the imperfections of film which gives it's distinct quality. Because of it's non repeatability that each image is unique. But if accuracy is what you want to compare, then digital media win hands down because number are just numbers, they are either correct or wrong.
    Hmmm...gd pointers there. I was wondering if i should ask photolabs to help me scan my slides into a CD. Maybe from there i can see on my computer screen how it really compares to negative scannings.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Kind of interesting to hear that so many of us are actually carrying both SLR and DSLR for their outings one time or another. And that for varied reasons.
    Perhaps I will start a thread with an accompanied poll to get greater number of feedback soon. That should be interesting.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Does Csers carry both Film and Digital SLR for outdoor shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks
    Kind of interesting to hear that so many of us are actually carrying both SLR and DSLR for their outings one time or another. And that for varied reasons.
    Perhaps I will start a thread with an accompanied poll to get greater number of feedback soon. That should be interesting.
    Gd idea!!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •