Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of the IT show 2006

Default Review of the IT show 2006

Not exactly sure whether this is in the right forum, but it is on reviews, related to photography somewhat. Nevertheless, if mods feel it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I happened to be on leave today so dropped by at the IT show, which I haven't attended in a long time because of the hordes. I also happened to have read an article in the Today paper today, which was criticising about the standards of customer service in SG. So I was prompted to write my experience on my little trip to the IT show.

I arrived before the opening hour. My first stop was at Eastgear to buy their great value batts. There was quite a number of sales staff, and quite a variety of stuff on sale. I was confused, so asked which section to go for the batteries. The sales guy was very friendly and smily, and led me to the cabinet of batteries and chargers. The other sales guy was patient in explaining to me what the Konnoc charger could do, and how the thing works, answering my questions clearly and to the point. I bought what I want, and asked about the callibrator. The staff was unsure, politely asked me to wait, and made sure I was pointed to what I want.

From that booth to the callibrator booth, I was waylaid by a sales guy from Viewsonic. Great deals there by the way. 19 inch with 800:1 contrast costs only 455. Look, that sales guy did his job so well, I can remember his figures. And in doing so, I didn't feel the least bit pressurised. Merely patient and clear explanation. Hmm, I was pretty impressed. So much so that I feel like spending my next month's pay to give him the deal he deserved... hmm...

I found the macbeth callibrator booth, and this pretty sales lady gave a very simple but sufficient explanation of how the callibrator works, and what it does. Impressive yet again.

At the Tamron booth where I tried the Macro Ring flash, a sales lady first attended to me and answered some of my basic questions. I requested to test it, and she very willingly obliged. Another sales guy joined in, when the sales lady had difficulties fitting the ring flash on my lens because of adaptor size diff. A more senior guy joined in as well. The whole process of testing is a very pleasant one. I could feel a sense of genuine sincerity when they buzzed around, getting the right size adaptor. Here are people who want me to experience the flash. Not necessarily buy it. I told them at the end I wasn't buying, and all three was extremely nice and smiley when they told me it's ok. The senior guy gave me his contact before I left. Check out my short review of the ring flash.

I used to be a basher of the service standards in Singapore. But I left the show a very happy man. I wasn't pressured at any point to buy anything. I learnt quite a bit on the products I was interested in. I wasn't made to feel guilty for not buying anything. Which was quite a pleasant experience. This is further complimented by my nice experience at the level 3 branded goods sales, where the sales people are just as professional.

Oh yes, to be sure my review is photography-related. The callibrator is going for 199. Great steal. I already mentioned the 19in viewsonic monitor. The 17 in goes for 300 odd. I think a hundred bux less. There's a huge and overcrowded Nikon booth with sexy promoters, but I couldn't get near the counters because of the crowd. I didn't see that many test sets of 30D at the Canon booth (actually only one), so be warned if you're getting yours there. The Fuji F11 is going for $699... hmm... overall, quite a number of good deals. Already crowed around 12 +. So good luck for those going this weekend. And hopefully have good stories to tell of our service industry. I definitely look forward to this kind of service standards being perpetuated to the rest of the industry.
    Last edited by shinken; 10th March 2006 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: Review of the IT show 2006

bump

good review!

just curious... wat did you wear to the exhibition...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    just curious... wat did you wear to the exhibition...
    Casual cheapo shirt and jeans. And no, I don't have any watches or jewellery on me.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Casual cheapo shirt and jeans. And no, I don't have any watches or jewellery on me.
    Try going tomorrow when there's a crowd and see if they are still that enthusiastic..

Nice work man!!! I was there last night but hesitate to get either Viewsonic or Philip......so didn't buy any at the end.......but I clear my doubt after reading your post now.....I am going down again in 5 minutes time to get the Viewsonic @ $399

the sigma booth is there too. but the prices advertised in the papers are

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Try going tomorrow when there's a crowd and see if they are still that enthusiastic..
    I'm absolutely sure they'll be much less enthusiastic. The same number of staff have to stretch their same amount of available time over many more customers, so it's only logic that each customer gets less time/attention. Heck, I get poor service so often even when there isn't a crowd at so many places. When a credit is due, I believe in giving it.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    The Fuji F11 is going for $699... hmm... overall, quite a number of good deals. Already crowed around 12 +.
    The fuji F11 is $639 if you pay by cash. comes with 1GB fujifilm XD card, 1 extra east gear battery + EG charger + mini tripod + mini case for F11 + card reader + screen protector. Actually all the freebies were quite useful. The 1GB xd card, extra battery and charger is definately good. The mini tripod looks quite useful as my slik tripod is too heavy. The card reader is USB2.0 hi speed and support XD card which my old reader did not. + screen protector. I always buy screen protector for my camera and it usually cost me $29 for martin fields. The screen protector they give is no brand one but better than nothing.

And the service at the fujifilm counter also very good but my standards not very high...

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    Think Sigma lens are cheaper elsewhere, e.g, equote from MS Color.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

My 2 cents.

Was there this evening. Granted that the stall was crowded and all the sales chaps were occupied (and 1 eating, looking at us). I waited patiently to be served. Needed to get an ext HDD.

Up comes 2 ladies who stood beside me. And guess what, the guy who was eating stopped his feeding, got up and served the 2 ladies!!!!

Needless to say, I bought from another stall, even though it cost slightly more.

Quote Originally Posted by dnd8008
    My 2 cents.

Was there this evening. Granted that the stall was crowded and all the sales chaps were occupied (and 1 eating, looking at us). I waited patiently to be served. Needed to get an ext HDD.

Up comes 2 ladies who stood beside me. And guess what, the guy who was eating stopped his feeding, got up and served the 2 ladies!!!!

Needless to say, I bought from another stall, even though it cost slightly more.
    Needless to say here too. He's chee hong man!

My experience at the IT show today is generally quite pleasant. Tried a number of lenses at both the Sigma and Tamron booth, and both side quite patient and obliging. The Canon booth salesman was also quite willing to answer some of my questions.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Nice work man!!! I was there last night but hesitate to get either Viewsonic or Philip......so didn't buy any at the end.......but I clear my doubt after reading your post now.....I am going down again in 5 minutes time to get the Viewsonic @ $399
    ****....reach the show at around 8pm and all the VP730 out of stock...the sales man kept pushing me other models but he is not going to success, I don't blame them, I will do like wise if I am in their shoe

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone

the booth price slightly cheaper then the newspaper one but still ex

Oh my share, was happily served by an canon staff (lady) at the booth through not buyig anything over there( playing with the 30D). Differences is that they are not sale representives and only to explain the specs to people who are interested in the camera system. But of cause if you want to buy they will ask the sale rep to entertain you. for Canon!

I was served by a lady called Sonia at Apple. Since it was my first time using Apple products, I kinda bombarded her with lots of questions but she replied them with a sincere smile. End up buying 3 Nanos from her.

Over at NEC, my Dad and I was served by a gentleman called Herman. Since I am quite a tech idiot, I also bombarded him with lots of questions - anything that appeared on the brochure on a product we are interested in, I just asked. Walk one round and came back to him again and he was still keen in serving us, with a smile.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the service, even from booths that I did not purchase anything from. Only problem was parents who visited the show with prams.

Yes i agree, couples who visits the I.T show wif prams are quite hateful...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    Yes i agree, couples who visits the I.T show wif prams are quite hateful...
    What brought this on? finally found out the previous thread.

Then hate me, but beware when you have kids of your own and noone to look after them and you will be bringing them in prams to the IT show.

I took leave and was also there at the IT show on Friday, just about 12 noon. Went straight to the Viewsonic booth for the VA702(ithink so) 17" lCD monitor for $355. The power to the booth wasn't even then, and I think I am one of the first few customers. Left the show before it got really crowded at 1plus.
    Last edited by blive; 16th March 2006 at 04:12 PM.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    What brought this on? finally found out the previous thread.

Then hate me, but beware when you have kids of your own and noone to look after them and you will be bringing them in prams to the IT show.

I took leave and was also there at the IT show on Friday, just about 12 noon. Went straight to the Viewsonic booth for the VA702(ithink so) 17" lCD monitor for $355. The power to the booth wasn't even then, and I think I am one of the first few customers. Left the show before it got really crowded at 1plus.
    blive, I understand where you are coming from, and that it isn't easy to find someone to look after your kids even for a couple of hours.

But sometimes when parents with extremely young children visit such popular and crowded shows - yeah they can don't care 2 hoots about what people say about them but at least they should think twice about their kids before they do something.

The air inside the hall was terrible. Yeah there was aircon and all but it's definitely not fresh. Young children are vulnerable to diseases so can you imagine if 10 people inside the hall sneeze or cough at the same time?

And worse, what if there is a stampede because of a sudden black out?

When I was paying for my merchandise at the Apple booth, this guy told us we have to wait because the electricity was cut and if affected the entire row of booths. And with all the electronics going on at full blast at 2 floors, I won't be surprised if there is really a black out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast