Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the tricks to creativity?

Default Re: What are the tricks to creativity?

Quote Originally Posted by forward
    Often we find ourself got no more new input and chose the old path
    and habits in doing things with fixed pattern. What is the key
    to creativity and new ideas?
    "Creativity" means to create something on your own. If you copy others, it is "copytivity". If you ask others how to be creative, you're already trying to copy them ...

The problem is that in many cases, the environment rewards us for our uncreative behaviour. Eg when a photog has reached a certain "standard", he commands good rates, and his pictures are in the magazines on a regular basis. They tend to look the same, same lighting, same concept, etc. but hey, people like his work and they're willing to pay for it. There's no incentive to change.

Perhaps one should learn from Picasso. He kept reinventing himself every decade, more or less, despite being so successful and well-received. It takes a lot of courage to change what we know works and pays the bills.

The other part of it is to have ideas in the first place. You may want to reinvent yourself, but if you have no clue what the new you should be, reinvention is not likely to work. And that is what separates the born creatives from those who read management textbooks. Inspiration and creativity are hard to learn or inculcate, more innate than anything else. Simply put, if you are a creative type, you keep coming up with fresh ideas-- it just pops into your head at all times-- when you are in the toilet, on a bus, etc. If you have to force yourself to be creative through activities such as brainstorming, etc., you will always be a second-rate creative type, despite your best effort, compared to the natural born creatives.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by forward
    Often we find ourself got no more new input and chose the old path
    and habits in doing things with fixed pattern. What is the key
    to creativity and new ideas?

As a student in the creative field, I too had my bouts of lack of inspiration and creativity.
    To me I think all of these come from what knowledge you have and how exposed to things you are. You can go all out on a subject matter, but what limits your creativity is how much you know about that subject and its relations.

Talented ones may find it easy to be creative probably because they can express what they have been exposed to with ease. But for people like me, where things go into the brain but just can't seem to express out, I have to work extra hard to achieve what I want.

Regardless, Passion will be that one factor that will keep us going on.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights

Can I borrow your head?
    HA HA HA

I need to borrow that head too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12