Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any aquarium fish experts here? Need your help, please!

Default Any aquarium fish experts here? Need your help, please!

I'm not into fish. But I need to keep some small fishes in my waterlily pot to prevent mossie breeding.

I ask the shop for their recommendations for hardy fishes suitable for my needs.

I was recommended 2 types - tiger and swordtail, and together with guppies again which I had bought before but died. So, they pack a combo for me, about 20-30 of them for just $3. Here is a pic:

My question:

1. Can they live together? Will they fight? Or will some bite others, esp the guppy tails?
    2. Are they hardy like the shop claims? Do they need feeding?
    3. If you look at the pic, the 3 reds on the left, I'm told are swordtails, and then I can see another 3 on the right with reddish streak but with guppy-type tails, what are they?
    4. I only want small fishes, I know guppies won't grow big, but what about the others?
    5. Are these fishes the type that likes to jump, hope they don't jump out of the pot which is not covered.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Any aquarium fish experts here? Need your help, please!

Yes, the ones on the left are swordtails and the ones on the right are guppies.

I've been buying S$1 packets for at least 2 years now and dump them into my 3ft tank.

From my experience, tiger barbs are the strongest and longest surviving guys, but they are to some extent aggressive. Guppies don't last very long, but the ones who survive the first few weeks will last a long time... and swordtails are my favourites... they do do last a bit if they survive the first week.

I always quarintine these new fish separately for at least 5 days when I get a new batch from the shop.

If one batch is sickly, they can be treated and wont affect the others.

After 2-3 days, those that are diseased will have died. Sometimes when I buy a S$1 packet, none will make it...

Maybe if you go to the longkang and catch those drain fish.. they will last much longer...

My 2 cents.. Anyone would like to add?

Good luck to you...

Oh...

I think if you want hassle free, no feeding small fish... the tiger barbs will do fine.

Really hardy... grows slowly, but I think you do need to feed them... at least twice a week. And with that, only get about 4-5 in your pot... and put some duckweed or water lettuce so that they can survive.

Larry

Blog Entries

only feed the tiger barbs twice a week?

oh no that means that i have been overfeeding mine

Heh heh.... I was just trying to sound nice...

I haven't fed the fish in at least 3 months... but my wife will feed them when she remembers...

Fishes, like all other creatures, do require FOOD. Daily feeding, or at least once every other day would be ideal. A pack of China-made pellets will only cost you $4-5 and will last a long, long time

hey you guys got pictures of your lily pot set up (or any of such setups). Thot of starting one too, bored with only planted aquariums oredi, hehe... want to start something like this so that it can be part of the house deco

OT a bit, actually 4-5 tiger barbs in a relatively big pot doesnt require constant feeding, once a week will do. if they are really hungry, they'll feed on the weeds or alage. otherwise all the excess food will contaminate the water.

wow, I'm impressed by the numerous quick responses considering this is a photography-related forum. I had posted this at HWZ's pet circle and didn't get any response but today there is finally one.

Anyway, the consensus seems that tiger barb is the hardiest. That's cool. They are not much to look at though. Since I've bought them, all 3 types, I will monitor to see how they get along.

madman, thks, i didn't know the 3 red ones on the right are also guppies. they look like guppies but they are mostly red, so i wasn't sure.

i do notice some fish have tiny red spots near the lower fins or gills area, they don't look like natural colors more like sick signs? am I right, i mean whether guppies, tiger barbs, i notice some have them.

Many thanks guys.

I'm no fish expert, but you can try here for help:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/

Those red ones (as far as I can see from the photo) are not sword tails they are platies, which look like sword tails w/o the sword like tail.

Generally hardy and might even reproduce, I think I have a 3rd generation platy in my tank at home..

Guppies for me are the least hardy, I tried some before but they die rather easily and quickly compared to my other fishes. Guppies are the colourful wavy tail ones.

Tiger barbs are the most hardy if you ask me, almost nothing can kill them less a good beating on the head or some out of water time.

Food wise just go buy some flakes and sprinkle a little every day, the barbs might be a little more aggressive but nothing you should worry about.

Size wise all will remain small, jumping wise, all fishes jump a little now and then especially when startled but no need to worry too much about this.

Yup hope this helps... oh anyway if it's a pot you might have too many fishes right now...

most importantly do not use the water that comes with the fish. proper acclaimatisation is highly recommended.
    Games of Thrones.....

Quote Originally Posted by enivre
    Yup hope this helps... oh anyway if it's a pot you might have too many fishes right now...
    helps alot, enivre. no, i hope to show my lilypot when i can get a pic later today. the pic above shows a container i was holding some of them after bringing them home yesterday.

i actually use the same water that came witht the fish and top up with another equal amount of tap water.

dfstan, how to acclimatise then?

normally, you shouldn't use the water that comes with the fish as it might contain some undesirable bacteria or disease. If you already did, then no point crying over spill milk. sometimes the water comes with fish is ok, but you never know. thus, i always throw away the water that comes with the fish.

to acclaimatise, firstly float the unopened fish bag into the tank/aquarium for about 15mins or so to get the fishes get used to about the same temp. secondly, pour some water out from the bag and top up into the bag with equal amount of fresh water. repeat this cycle for a couple of times. Lastly, take the fish out with a net and put into your tank/aquarium (in your case will be the lilypot). throw away the water in the fish bag. This is the most general and quick way of acclaimatization. I know ppl used the drip method to acclaimatize their precious fishes, esp those marine fishes.

good luck!
    Games of Thrones.....

i won't worry too much about these fishes, the are generally hardy (maybe not so much for the guppies) so just throw them into the pot it should be fine...

Ok have fun!

ok, thks, everyone.

I only know that never mix barb with guppies coz your guppies will die very soon.....
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Tiger barb has a well-deserved reputation as a bully and fin-nipper. It's a mistake to put the other fishes especially the guppies together with them. Mixing most types of fishes are ok but never with a tiger bard.

Here's how my lilypot looks like:

yeah yeah... this is wat i want to do, hehe... but not along the corridors, i think NEA will "sa man" me. pop, do you add more water into the tank once you have fishes?

i think the water level is high enough. btw, this is in my balcony. can NEA just fine you because they see a pot of water? they have to find larvae in there first. That's why I put fishes inside, to make sure there are no mossie larvae.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast