Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which laptop to buy?

Default Re: Which laptop to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i'm using it now
    gave up on toshiba. My brother used one and had to have his LCD changed once and his hard disk crashed 3 times!!

Hopefully Asus will have better QC

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Mac 17" PB
    like kua-cha

Quote Originally Posted by code
    gave up on toshiba. My brother used one and had to have his LCD changed once and his hard disk crashed 3 times!!

Hopefully Asus will have better QC
    i had a toshiba notebook that was like that from school purchase some 4 years back (screen spoilt and changed, harddisk crashed and changed, battery died and changed) , but apparently they have improved alot these days

Apple PB 15" is good. Mac Bk Pro 15"

i had a toshiba notebook that was like that from school purchase some 4 years back (screen spoilt and changed, harddisk crashed and changed, battery died and changed) , but apparently they have improved alot these days
    Not sure if they have improved. The fact of the matter is that Toshiba laptops come with a price premium (at least back then), hence a higher expectation was built in. We spent many hours go back and forth the service center in Kallang and yet the problem persisted. The reply we got from the technical manager was that they will replace the hardisk as long as the warranty is still valid. What's the point of this when I keep losing data? Just admit that there is a batch problem and make the necessary compensation!

yah their after sales service is really very bad, but in the market almost all notebook brands' after sales service are horrible in fact the entire IT industry is like that

yah their after sales service is really very bad, but in the market almost all notebook brands' after sales service are horrible in fact the entire IT industry is like that
    Wah, don't condemn IT so quickly leh. I am in IT too.

Anyway, I find that Dell services is very good in general. Dell can service the laptop on-site at Timbuktu. Of course, the next question you may ask is "if the laptop is reliable then good service is redundant".

new HP laptop nx9420

17" 1920x1200
    T2600 dual 2.13Ghz
    4Gb ram
    x1600

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-1839153.html

I just made my order online.
    uses the same magnesium structural frame as my current nw8240.
    with new external EJ092AA battery. the laptop last for 20 hours.
    Last edited by anka; 16th March 2006 at 12:59 AM.

just viewed the specs of the IBM T60 today...seems to be weaker than my T43
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    just viewed the specs of the IBM T60 today...seems to be weaker than my T43

The specs of T60 are better than T43. I have given a try on both T60 and T43 (development and photoshop). T60 is significantly much faster with its core duo and ya ... it runs faster on a number of 3D games (that is not what it is use for anyway)

here goes a benchmark review
    Last edited by kitkat; 26th March 2006 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat
    The specs of T60 are better than T43. I have given a try on both T60 and T43 (development and photoshop). T60 is significantly much faster with its core duo and ya ... it runs faster on a number of 3D games (that is not what it is use for anyway)

here goes a benchmark review

is this version of access connections downloadable? looks much nicer than the current version on my T43
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    new HP laptop nx9420

17" 1920x1200
    T2600 dual 2.13Ghz
    4Gb ram
    x1600

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-1839153.html

I just made my order online.
    uses the same magnesium structural frame as my current nw8240.
    with new external EJ092AA battery. the laptop last for 20 hours.
    What's the total cost of your set up?

The specs are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by code
    Not sure if they have improved. The fact of the matter is that Toshiba laptops come with a price premium (at least back then), hence a higher expectation was built in. We spent many hours go back and forth the service center in Kallang and yet the problem persisted. The reply we got from the technical manager was that they will replace the hardisk as long as the warranty is still valid. What's the point of this when I keep losing data? Just admit that there is a batch problem and make the necessary compensation!
    Toshiba lost the plot about 4yrs back. They were once top of the heap wrt to laptops/notebooks and then they lost their way. They moved their manufacturing of the low to midrange notebooks to Taiwan and things went bad from then on, for reasons I cannot fathom.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 26th March 2006 at 02:58 PM.

are 2 gigs of so-dimm sticks even out? HP may state on specs that it accomodates up to 4 gigs, but when you go and custom order it, there are no options for maxing the ram

hmmm.... I had friends using Acer Lappy and got negative feedbacks abt them, so far no positive other tthan price .

2 friends faced wireless connection problem... Signal is inconsistent, sometime even dont have @_@ even when the rounter is closeby.

1 had power problem.... cannot use all usb ports.

the other when connect a usb device ... the comp will reset by itself...

You pay wat u get. . that's my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    Toshiba lost the plot about 4yrs back. They were once top of the heap wrt to laptops/notebooks and then they lost their way. They moved their manufacturing of the low to midrange notebooks to Taiwan and things went bad from then on, for reasons I cannot fathom.
    Yes, it's sad isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Yes, it's sad isn't it?
    ill crossmy finger my toshiba is 3 month old.as of now never dissapoint me in terms of performance.,plus enjoying those small feauture that makes my life easier.no doubt the asus is a power,bec it runs on faster ram.the bigger screen is a plus but ofcos it consumes the bat faster...

Personally, I am looking to get a Core Duo notebook to replace my dinky Thinkpad X31. The T60 was on my list, but after reading the specs, I had a good laugh: it didn't have something that's a must have for moi - a Firewire port. I am just thinking, why would they leave this out on a machine that price? Ok, it's a biz laptop but hey, there are so many other so-called 'biz laptops' that have a Firewire port.....

So I guess I'd have to go back to buying the X series (X60) if I want to stick to a very small machine, or gun for the HP NC6320 if I want a trackpad (nice for a change), a bigger screen, and don't mind the extra weight.

The T-series never had firewire ports IIRC
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar

is this version of access connections downloadable? looks much nicer than the current version on my T43

Yes upgradable witht the IBM software installer..automactically browses all the new software or version for your harware needs.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast