Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singa-putra = singapore?

Default Re: Singa-putra = singapore?

but Singa-pura is not modern malay, it is sanskrit-derived 13th century malay. The Majapahit Empire was Hindu during which time Sang Nila Utama was believed to have landed on Temasek.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    but Singa-pura is not modern malay, it is sanskrit-derived 13th century malay. The Majapahit Empire was Hindu during which time Sang Nila Utama was believed to have landed on Temasek.
    Sound interesting, where I can read all this history in details? the malay annals?

someone had pointed out that Singha is used for Thailand too, so my guess, there is animal they name it 'singa' in old time, but what is that 'singa', is a question. I do some search first.

It is said there is a 'Cigau' animal in Sumatra day, and it is still said to be existed in a remote area of indonesian. It is said a kind of animal that like tigers, but yellow, smaller, and with bane.

As Singapore is named after a Singa, and i just wonder what kind of animal is 'Singa' at that time. After getting some historical stories, i may do some search again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    'Pura' in modern malay means pretend. City is actually called 'Bandar'. So in modern malay context, Singapura means Lion-Pretend, or I would call it the Pretentious Lion. Hehe. Maybe the guy who named Singapura was drunk or something. Anyway, I doubt there was ever any lions in Singapore. Its a hang out place for pirates. Go ask any old-timer sailors of what they think of Singapore. They all say the same thing. Maybe they're all drunk too.

Anyway, if you find any good leads do let me know. Cheers!

Setelah hilangnya kekuasaan Sriwijaya terhadap Tumasik, ia dituntut oleh kerajaan Majapahit dan kerajaan Ayuthaya (Siam). Namun kubu pertahanan kota tersebut berhasil menghalang serangan Siam. Pada waktu itu juga, nama Tumasik berubah menjadi Singha Pura, atau "Kota Singa" dalam bahasa Sansekerta.

Something i read from indonesian wikipedia, Tumasik=temasek, singapore old name.
    it is said..Tumasik rename as Singha Pura...

And mm..a guy who said a few places have been used singa, he is right..
    Singajaya, Singaparna, Singaraja that few places supposed to be indonesian town.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Sound interesting, where I can read all this history in details? the malay annals?

someone had pointed out that Singha is used for Thailand too, so my guess, there is animal they name it 'singa' in old time, but what is that 'singa', is a question. I do some search first.

It is said there is a 'Cigau' animal in Sumatra day, and it is still said to be existed in a remote area of indonesian. It is said a kind of animal that like tigers, but yellow, smaller, and with bane.

As Singapore is named after a Singa, and i just wonder what kind of animal is 'Singa' at that time. After getting some historical stories, i may do some search again. Thanks!

Yes you can read it in the Malay Annals. I've read it once, but the narrated classical malay was too cheem to understand . But I'm sure you can find the English translation from the library or engage a historian.

But here's the thing..Sejarah Melayu was written in the 15th century and is the only record available then and before. The Annals are interwined with political, religious and mythical subtexts so if you want to infer anything from it.. you have go through it with a fine comb.

If you really want to research about this animal..if i'm not wrong, the description of the creature is in the Annals...

ok, hope i got the clue what is that animal ha.
    Last edited by LENS; 10th March 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    'Pura' in modern malay means pretend. City is actually called 'Bandar'. So in modern malay context, Singapura means Lion-Pretend, or I would call it the Pretentious Lion. Hehe. Maybe the guy who named Singapura was drunk or something. Anyway, I doubt there was ever any lions in Singapore. Its a hang out place for pirates. Go ask any old-timer sailors of what they think of Singapore. They all say the same thing. Maybe they're all drunk too.

Anyway, if you find any good leads do let me know. Cheers!
    Wow I never knew somebody can inter pret Singapura so literally....

Only goes to show how much singaporeans know about their own land....

Go and read man, find out what it really means.

Quote Originally Posted by sharf
    Wow I never knew somebody can inter pret Singapura so literally....

Only goes to show how much singaporeans know about their own land....

Go and read man, find out what it really means.
    Its a lame joke dude. Best of luck to the original poster. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12