Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Wide Angles

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Bottom line is, even when you are using Av, make sure that your shutter speed is at least 1/f-length. If it's less, up ISO to compensate. If you are using film.... switch to M and use a flash
    That's what i did whenever i want to shoot indoor events, macros and other low light shoots. Cos i always use ISO 400 film so ISO to me is pretty much standard at this range. If the lighting is bright enough, then of course i'll use Av mode without flash.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 8th March 2006 at 02:03 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    That is right, it may not be humanly possible to handhold at 1/1.5s, but as you're referring to VR lens, then the limit will be highly determined by the capabilities and algorithm of the VR controller itself, rather than the human hand.

    additional info for Zack:
    The "rule of thumb" saying that minimum handholding speed is 1/f, is true for full frame 35 mm system or focal length equivalent to 35 mm system. Therefore if let's say, a compact digicam with 7 mm lens, it does not mean the minimum speed should be 1/7s, but must be derived from its 35mm equivalent. If that 7mm focal length results in 28mm equivalent (on 35mm system), then the minimum handholding speed is 1/28s
    Further on that, if you want to be precise, that "rule of thumb" will also relate to the final reproduction ratio. If the final image will be printed at 4R, handholding at 1/f is good. But will it still be good if the final image be printed at poster size? probably not.
    Good info.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Yup, get what you mean. Any idea what is the "human limit" to handhold with IS/VR on? I heard that some ppl can shoot with 1/5s with a 17-85 IS
    slowest i've every taken handheld and still sharp is 0.6s using 20D+28-135 IS (first generation IS). However, I used a combination of "techniques", e.g. back supported by wall, arms tucked in, shooting in bursts(high proportion of other shots are blur). without these other supporting factors, the shot will be unsharp.

    Here's the pic:
    Last edited by mpenza; 8th March 2006 at 02:16 PM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Wow, impressive handholding ability. Almost like on tripod. Does the IS help much for this shot?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew
    Wow, impressive handholding ability. Almost like on tripod. Does the IS help much for this shot?
    There are times when I'd be better off with the VR. Sometimes for exposures around 1/2s, the mirror vibration may interfere with the VR. An otherwise steady shot can get blur because of that.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    There are times when I'd be better off with the VR. Sometimes for exposures around 1/2s, the mirror vibration may interfere with the VR. An otherwise steady shot can get blur because of that.
    Errmmm...use mirror lockup?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Errmmm...use mirror lockup?
    only the more pro nikon bodies hav mirror lockup

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    only the more pro nikon bodies hav mirror lockup
    Canon bodies do have mirror lock ups too leh.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Errmmm...use mirror lockup?
    D70s does not have mirror lockup. Ironically, those pro bodies with mirror lockup has such low mirror vibration that the mirror lockup is often not necessary.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    D70s does not have mirror lockup. Ironically, those pro bodies with mirror lockup has such low mirror vibration that the mirror lockup is often not necessary.
    So which means to say that D70s' mirror vibration is very low?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Canon bodies do have mirror lock ups too leh.
    With the exception of some Canon bodies.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    So which means to say that D70s' mirror vibration is very low?
    No.. the mirror vibration of the D70s is quite high but slightly lower than the 300D and comparable to 20D but it doesn't have mirror lock up for shooting. It would be useful to have. Those models with mirror lockup like D2X has such low mirror vibration that it is often not necessary to use the mirror lockup unless for very critical high magnification shots.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 9th March 2006 at 09:59 AM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    With the exception of some Canon bodies.
    Yupz...300D is one of them unless you get the crack.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    No.. the mirror vibration of the D70s is quite high but slightly lower than the 300D and comparable to 20D but it doesn't have mirror lock up for shooting. It would be useful to have. Those models with mirror lockup like D2X has such low mirror vibration that it is often not necessary to use the mirror lockup unless for very critical high magnification shots.
    My EOS 30 have mirror lockup too but not very sure of how to use hehe...
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew
    Wow, impressive handholding ability. Almost like on tripod. Does the IS help much for this shot?
    Guess it helps but the other techniques contributed too to the "success"

  16. #36

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    My EOS 30 have mirror lockup too but not very sure of how to use hehe...
    Enable CFn 5 for MLU. Switch to the timer mode and fire. The mirror will lockup and the frame will be exposed 10 seconds later. It'll be easier with a remote as the delay is only 2s.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    My EOS 30 have mirror lockup too but not very sure of how to use hehe...
    If you're using tripod, after you have focused and composed and ready to release the shutter, lock the mirror first and wait for the camera to stop vibrating before releasing the shutter. If you don't see vibration, you probably don't need mirror lockup.

    I only experience mirror vibration in 2 instances,
    1) Astrophotography - shooting prime with telescope.
    2) For handheld shots with VR lens at shutter speed around 1/4s to 2s. The hand will try to counter the mirror slap and correct, at the same time, the VR will try to counter the that movement also and blurs the image instead. I think it might be due to the way I shoot, so sometimes, I get a better picture with the VR off at that kind of shutter speed.

    Otherwise, mirror vibrations doesn't bother me at all.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 9th March 2006 at 01:39 PM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Enable CFn 5 for MLU. Switch to the timer mode and fire. The mirror will lockup and the frame will be exposed 10 seconds later. It'll be easier with a remote as the delay is only 2s.
    It's easier to use MLU on Nikon cameras I think. Canon's a bit awkward in the implementation.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    It's easier to use MLU on Nikon cameras I think. Canon's a bit awkward in the implementation.
    Yes, for D2X and D200, you set to Mup mode. Press shutter release once for mirror up, press another time to release the shutter.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Wide Angles

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yes, for D2X and D200, you set to Mup mode. Press shutter release once for mirror up, press another time to release the shutter.
    Same for the 20D. Not sure about the 1 series though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •