Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: Shooting a Wedding

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I've planned to rent a 17-40mm f/4L for this shoot cos i think i'll need that 'wideness' for table shoots. I myself have a tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 but somehow i feel that 28mm's not wide enough. I do not have a bounce card, only an omnibounce, or maybe i've to make my own bounce card.

    Quite excited cos it's my 1st time doing a wedding shoot that's why i need some opinions on what to do. I know what u meant by the frame counter thing, fortunately my EOS 30 have a custom function to rewind film with the film leader out.
    Wait till you re load a new roll while couple marching in half way to cut the cake than you know what he meant.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Nope, you didn't, you missed lsisaxon point totally.
    I know, it's anticipating what the next event will be an if yr roll of film's almost done and imagine during a part of the shoot a gd moment happens and you're rewinding and loading yr film. By the time u're done loading the new one, the moment's gone.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    believe me.. i ever saw a popular wedding day photographer in here that could miss a march in even when he was in position and shooting digital.

    reason? he was too busy reviewing EVERY single shot he took. While reviewing his shot, the couple came in quick and brisk and he missed the march in with his eyes on his LCD. Maybe he shooting video on his SLR, that i dunno. I'm not in position to judge others anyway. I was just a guest at the dining table.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Wait till you re load a new roll while couple marching in half way to cut the cake than you know what he meant.
    That's what i've stated above. That point is to illustrate that the film will not go to waste and can continue from where u stopped.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    believe me.. i ever saw a popular wedding day photographer in here that could miss a march in even when he was in position and shooting digital.

    reason? he was too busy reviewing EVERY single shot he took. While reviewing his shot, the couple came in quick and brisk and he missed the march in with his eyes on his LCD. Maybe he shooting video on his SLR, that i dunno. I'm not in position to judge others anyway. I was just a guest at the dining table.
    That's something i'll never do, even when i'm using my digital PnS to shoot things. I always shoot everything first then at the end of the day, then i review.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    That's something i'll never do, even when i'm using my digital PnS to shoot things. I always shoot everything first then at the end of the day, then i review.
    anyway, since you're shooting film, the 28 will be wide enough for table shots.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  7. #27
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    anyway, since you're shooting film, the 28 will be wide enough for table shots.
    Never ever underestimate the all-10-people-with-backsides-glued-to-chair scenario.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    I agree with espn. That's why i've to rent a 17-40mm f/4L to be safe as sometimes there're space constraints between tables.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #29
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Never ever underestimate the all-10-people-with-backsides-glued-to-chair scenario.
    10 old folks seated, 28mm can also do lar, but not for those small small resturant, must have like Rizz Carlton or Fullerton, if not, can always shoot across from next table mah.

    Anyway, still better than shooting 3 tables join in one big group photos.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Never ever underestimate the all-10-people-with-backsides-glued-to-chair scenario.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  11. #31

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I know, it's anticipating what the next event will be an if yr roll of film's almost done and imagine during a part of the shoot a gd moment happens and you're rewinding and loading yr film. By the time u're done loading the new one, the moment's gone.
    That's why I always use 2 bodies for weddings. And you don't change film when you know something is going to happen. If you know something is going to happen 5-10 mins later and there is probably nothing going to happen at the current moment, it will be wiser to check your film counter, if you have less than 5 shots on a body left, time to put in a new roll. It should not take more than 2 mins. If you think that something is going to happen, then don't change. That's why very important to use 2 bodies and stagger your shots so that if you reach end of the roll on one body you still have half a roll on the other body.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I agree with espn. That's why i've to rent a 17-40mm f/4L to be safe as sometimes there're space constraints between tables.
    You won't want to use anything wider than 24mm for film when shooting people. The corners are quite unuseable for people because of the perspective distortion of such lenses. Faces will get distorted and I'm quite sure the guests won't like that.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I agree with espn. That's why i've to rent a 17-40mm f/4L to be safe as sometimes there're space constraints between tables.
    You can also walk further back while using a 28mm lens. At least you won't see the distortion created by 17mm

  14. #34

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I've planned to rent a 17-40mm f/4L for this shoot cos i think i'll need that 'wideness' for table shoots. I myself have a tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 but somehow i feel that 28mm's not wide enough. I do not have a bounce card, only an omnibounce, or maybe i've to make my own bounce card.

    Quite excited cos it's my 1st time doing a wedding shoot that's why i need some opinions on what to do. I know what u meant by the frame counter thing, fortunately my EOS 30 have a custom function to rewind film with the film leader out.
    I think it is better to have the leader in. Less confusing that way and you won't accidentally pull it out. Better to waste some film than to get your shots destroyed. There is no second chance.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    You can also walk further back while using a 28mm lens. At least you won't see the distortion created by 17mm
    Oh yeah.. make sure one of the 'brothers' can help to arrange the next table when you're shooting the current one, otherwise, the shooting session will not end on time if you have like 40 or more tables. Brief him to arrange the people in such a way that there is no distracting background and there is space in front for you to stand if you ever need to move back. Some 'brothers' can be quite idiotic with the arrangement.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    That's what i've stated above. That point is to illustrate that the film will not go to waste and can continue from where u stopped.
    Please, please don't ever do mid-roll reloading for weddings!! Very dangerous. The chances of not putting the lens cap back properly is very high.. Wasting a few frames is fine, at least you (and your clients) will have a peace of mind.

    Bring a few more rolls than promised. If you're shooting for free, get the client to pay for the film. If it's a paid job, then better to throw in one or 2 more rolls for free than to miss shots because the end of the counter has been reached. The client will think that you're generous.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 6th March 2006 at 12:51 PM.

  17. #37
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    That's what i've stated above. That point is to illustrate that the film will not go to waste and can continue from where u stopped.
    don't tell me you want to re load a mid exposed roll of film.
    how much $ is a roll of film? how many cents are you saving on each frame?
    why waste time doing this, still have to label how many exposed frames on it.

  18. #38
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    don't tell me you want to re load a mid exposed roll of film.
    how much $ is a roll of film? how many cents are you saving on each frame?
    why waste time doing this, still have to label how many exposed frames on it.
    Miscue, over write a few frames... HO SEH LIAO...

  19. #39

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Miscue, over write a few frames... HO SEH LIAO...
    Yeah.. not just you lose your previous shots, you lose your current ones also!!

    I like that animated emoticon but a bit too violent yah?

  20. #40
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Shooting a Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah.. not just you lose your previous shots, you lose your current ones also!!

    I like that animated emoticon but a bit too violent yah?
    Ooops.. that's what I'd do if I had miscue by rewinding the roll and shooting again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •