Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaks of lines in viewfinder

Default Streaks of lines in viewfinder

hi..got another question..
    i saw a black spot thru my wiewfinder.and did nt better..so i go use lens pen and cloth to wipe it off....but the prob is now i see streaks of lines in my viewfinder....but it does not affect my pictures in anyway...should i send it for servicing? or are there any DIY methods?

Default Re: Streaks of lines in viewfinder

its actually a piece of plastic below the view finder sensor...theres also a latch to romove it...any idea whats that?

From what i can gather its the focussing screen. you;ve found but i'm not sure. Most people advice againt touching or using a cloth on that place as its pretty delicate.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Yupz, my cam's focusing screen is also a little dirty, but as long as it doesn't affect the image quality of the pics. Perhaps in future can ask Canon to clean it for you.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

U wipe the viewfinder area or the piece of ''thing'' at the lens mount area??

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    hi..got another question..
    i saw a black spot thru my wiewfinder.and did nt better..so i go use lens pen and cloth to wipe it off....but the prob is now i see streaks of lines in my viewfinder....but it does not affect my pictures in anyway...should i send it for servicing? or are there any DIY methods?
    If you're lucky, you smeared dirt over the screen. If you're less lucky, you scratched it.

If it doesn't affect the pictures, you don't need to get it serviced. If it bothers you, you can try to clean it (in case it really is only dirt) - but given your previous record at cleaning it, you may make things much worse. The safe option is to have it serviced.

If you cleaned the viewfinder with lenspen....then its the residue..
    IIRC, the viewfinder glass which you cleaned is curved..and on curved surfaces, lenspen leaves residue...

seanlim don't bother to clean the viewer finder area. I tried to be garang once try to clean it. I ended up having to replace the whole focusing screen and damage the top penta prism. I'm now a bit wiser and would send the camera to the pros to clean it. Anyway you get to blame someone if something goes wrong.
    Last edited by smtan24; 5th March 2006 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    seanlim don't bother to clean the viewer finder area. I tried to be garang once try to clean it. I ended up having to replace the whole focusing screen and damage the top penta prism. I'm now a bit wiser and would send the camera to the pros to clean it. Anyway you get to blame someone if something goes wrong.
    Can get some gd pointers here.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damage...only a piece of removable plastic
    now.....whats thru my view finder

how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damage...only a piece of removable plastic
    Wah...looks like it's quite in a bad condition.

how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damahttp://forums.clubsnap.org/images/cs/smilies/confused.gif
    ge...only a piece of removable plastic

looks like see-ing through a tornado! better send to NSC soon!

now.....
    What camera is this (sorry if you wrote it, I didn't see it)? If "removable" means "interchangeable by the user", it would probably much cheaper to repair (i.e. just get a new one and swap). Once the screen is out of the camera, it would also be much easier to clean it (e.g. ultrasound bath).

its a D50

seanlim for my Dynax 5 it cost about SGD40 to replace the screen. It looks like you got dirt on the screen and maybe on the mirror also.

good luck.

Better replace it, it's more worth it than leaving it in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    If you cleaned the viewfinder with lenspen....then its the residue..
    IIRC, the viewfinder glass which you cleaned is curved..and on curved surfaces, lenspen leaves residue...
    Thats one of the main reasons

Lenspens leaves residues on filters too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast