Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are FAST lens really good?

Default Re: Are FAST lens really good?

After reading so much, can someone advise how much is a 35mm f/2 and a 50mm f/1.8, Nikon mount?

And where can I get it? Advisable to get 2nd hand or from shop?

Thanks

u can search through the buy and sell forum for the second prices. New ones are more expensive. The new lens prices can be found in the nikon forum.
    http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mazeppa26
    how good are lens like those f2.8, f1.4 etc...
    for one are very expensive... but how good are they.... if we talk about being fast, how well can they actually take photos in poor lighting? using a tripod will reduce the shakes already, so is a fast lens still necessary? etc...etc...
    just some thoughts and questions about fast lens...
    They can be very good, the best there is for 35mm anyway. a f1.4 as opposed to f4 is a light gain of 8x this is quite significant IMHO 1/10s vs 1/80s also, at 1/10s your subject will move and blur the image so the tripod wont help. (unless this is a lendscape where u are using f/8 anyway making the speed irrelavant.)

how about the sigma lens like 30mm f1.4 and 20mm f 1.8....

they are fast too

anyone selling haha (nikon mt)

they are fast too

Sigma 20mm f1.8 is a very good lens. However, it's not very usable at f1.8. Very sharp from f2.8 onwards.

they are fast too

30/1.4 is F good. Studied it vs the Nikkor 28/1.4 (which costs a bomb!). Gonna get a copy tmr. I am surprised that they made it so cheap ($735 only)!

Saw your postings in B&S, actually wanted to join ya for 2nd hand but nah....looks like nobody is selling for quite a while. Tmr nite will use it, see how it goes.

post some pics and comments... winder how it compares wif the 20mm f1.8

my fren actually got a second hand at 4++ the 30mm i mean

post some pics and comments... winder how it compares wif the 20mm f1.8

my fren actually got a second hand at 4++ the 30mm i mean
    http://www.pbase.com/aroid/image/46437482/original
    Supposed to be mind boogling for AF too, slightly faster than a Nikkor 35/2. Bokeh is above avg (for primes). Definitely better than my 28-75 and 70-200.

If you are aiming for 12x18" prints @ done at f1.4 with your high MP body (ambient + bokeh mood shots), this is it! Remember, it's 30mm, so f1.4 is doable and not too thin.
    Gonna be using it for weddings. Bo bian i cannot wait liao. Shooting straight through for this weekend.

Don't understand why people will sell such a glass. It's very very impt that you know what you are doing and what you are gonna be using it for. Else even if it's $500 1st hand, you will still sell.
    Last edited by 2100; 23rd March 2006 at 10:32 PM.

huh wads not too thin?
    meaning?

and the wad 500 1st hand will still sell means?

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    http://www.pbase.com/aroid/image/46437482/original
    Supposed to be mind boogling for AF too, slightly faster than a Nikkor 35/2. Bokeh is above avg (for primes). Definitely better than my 28-75 and 70-200.

If you are aiming for 12x18" prints @ done at f1.4 with your high MP body (ambient + bokeh mood shots), this is it! Remember, it's 30mm, so f1.4 is doable and not too thin.
    Gonna be using it for weddings. Bo bian i cannot wait liao. Shooting straight through for this weekend.

Don't understand why people will sell such a glass. It's very very impt that you know what you are doing and what you are gonna be using it for. Else even if it's $500 1st hand, you will still sell.

huh wads not too thin?
    meaning?

and the wad 500 1st hand will still sell means?

Too thin a DOF. For eg if you shoot with a 200 @ f1.8, most of the time it's too thin esp if you are too near to the subject (unless if you are going for the artsy feeling). For 30mm it won't be too thin even at f1.4.

I did a cursory check on my images taken just now, f1.4 and f1.8 are really sharp....definitely usable for 12 by 18 prints. 8 x 12 would be pretty much tack sharp. Very impt to focus correctly though.

It's a good bargain at 735 for what i feel. Even my colleague who plays with Hasselblad feels it's really ok too as we checked it out in the store "live" with a notebook.
    But if someone doesn't know how to make the best of it, even he pays $400 or 500 bucks it will still be seen as wasteful.

Most people are used to the convenience of zooms so its not easy to go from zoom to prime lens. The big aperture of 30/1.4 is good for getting a faster shutter speed and not thin depth of field cos its 30mm. But one can use a high iso to get a faster shutter speed. So the 30mm is a very niche product. I am used to using only a 50mm for more than 10 years even now i prefer the convenience of a zoom. How sharp does a lens need to be? In the film age no one knows how sharp the lens can be but in the digital age we all become pixel peepers.
    http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Sigma 20mm f1.8 is a very good lens. However, it's not very usable at f1.8. Very sharp from f2.8 onwards.

how come?

how come?
    Even the Nikon 50/1.2, 85/1.4, and 28/1.4 are soft at their widest aperture. It's about the optics itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Even the Nikon 50/1.2, 85/1.4, and 28/1.4 are soft at their widest aperture. It's about the optics itself.
    does soft mean un sharp? or wad?

does soft mean un sharp? or wad?
    Soft means that when the image is in focus, there is still some apherical abberation effect as if you have put a very weak soft filter on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123