Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are FAST lens really good?

Default Re: Are FAST lens really good?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    I think in your example, at f4-f5.6, the shutter speed will be reduced to 1/30-1/15...?
    Yup, you are right. In this case, it will be quite difficult to avoid handshake and motion blur.

Quote Originally Posted by mazeppa26
    how good are lens like those f2.8, f1.4 etc...
    for one are very expensive... but how good are they.... if we talk about being fast, how well can they actually take photos in poor lighting? using a tripod will reduce the shakes already, so is a fast lens still necessary? etc...etc...
    just some thoughts and questions about fast lens...
    Faster by 1 or 2 stops, like you said, may not be as useful in the age of IS. But the bokeh of a fast lens is certainly a plus point.

Actualli was thinking about getting a 50mm f 1.8 to try, its a cheaper 'fast' lens compared to those hi end zooms... the problem is the digital magnification of 1.5x will make the lens 75mm yup...

in that case you will end up with a good portrait focal length with room to play around with depth of field to get good bokeh! not really an impairment if you have the use for it..

another good thing i like about fast lenses.. but which may not suit everybody.. is that they give a vignetting effect when used wide open(same with ultra wide lenses).. coming from a lomo background i really love this characteristic ive found on my 50mm f1.4.. cant say the same for most people though as they tend to judge light falloff at the corners as a bad thing rather than a good one.. but for all artistic purposes it fits my bill!

so am i rite to sae:
    the 50mm will prob be good for
    1. portraits
    2. lowlight photog
    3. bokeh

so am i rite to sae:
    the 50mm will prob be good for
    1. portraits
    2. lowlight photog
    3. bokeh
    yes.u are right

Initially I was wondering what the heck do we need f2.8 for macro lens when we will be using f8 -f11 to get enough DOF. Well I learnt that using a f2.8 lens allows you:

1. to have a better view at the viewfinder.
    2. to have a faster AF response.

For outdoor shooting, I learnt it the hard way at the recent AA2006. my slow sigma lens cant even focus fast enough (to the point I use manual) to take a decent photo of the planes.

Quote Originally Posted by allakazoo
    Faster by 1 or 2 stops, like you said, may not be as useful in the age of IS. But the bokeh of a fast lens is certainly a plus point.
    An extra 1 or 2 stops in the apertaure are MORE useful then IS as it allows you to use faster shutter speed, thereby reducing motion blur due to subject movement. IS will allow you to reduce shutter speed so you don't have handshake problems, but your subject is still moving so you're no better off. What the IS is useful for is to allow you to reduce the ISO (noise) at the same exposure, in particular for a given shutter speed/aperture.

If you're using motion blur intentially to portray movement, then you don't really need IS anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    Initially I was wondering what the heck do we need f2.8 for macro lens when we will be using f8 -f11 to get enough DOF. Well I learnt that using a f2.8 lens allows you:

1. to have a better view at the viewfinder.
    2. to have a faster AF response.
    Ok, another point since you mentioned "Stopped down".

Usually lenses operate optimally when stopped down 1-2 stops, more so for zooms (primes may be pretty sharp with just 1 stop). So for a f1.8 or 2.8 lens, f4-5.6 is already optimal. But if you were to get a small f4.5 or so lens, you gonna stop it down to at least f7.1 or 8 for optimal performance. BTW, i said optimal performance, not comparing between the various lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    If you're using motion blur intentially to portray movement, then you don't really need IS anyway...
    I beg to differ. All the more IS/VR will benefit you because the shutter speed is going to be slower. What might have called for a tripod can probably be handheld to a reasonable extent with VR/IS.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey

You still need. Motion blur and hand/camera shake are totally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    1st time Iheard this..
    ok, i correct my statement.

faster zooms r the pro series while slower zooms r the consumer series

Which stop is usable for 50mm 1.8? I heard that performance of f1.8 is not good, so how about f2.0 (one stop or half stop down?) ?

for my copy, f/1.8 is very usable. Stop to f/2.8 and it's razor sharp

Quote Originally Posted by freecloud
    Which stop is usable for 50mm 1.8?
    it depends on ur defination of usable. the difference is only noticable in 100% crops so dont worry so much.

Quote Originally Posted by freecloud
    Which stop is usable for 50mm 1.8? I heard that performance of f1.8 is not good, so how about f2.0 (one stop or half stop down?) ?
    If they are not useable, they won't be there in the first place..

fast lenses gives you more techniques to explore, like do away of flash photography for low lit areas. Its also gives you a different 'look' when you explore low light photography. Fast lenses are rather reknown of their bokeh, the quality of out of focus blurs. From a picture viewpoint, this can lead to a very pleasing effect if you study pictures made with fast primes.

Good is all in the mindset, if you like the work of natural lighting, yes, if you shoot all your images in 1/80 f8 with flash, then i find them less useful than the lenses true intentions.

Also if you need a fast enough shutter speed for your images, you have to explore fast lenses as an option to get your images to freeze the action.

its a fallacy..not all fast lens are good...similarly...not all good lenses are fast...

how good are lens like those f2.8, f1.4 etc...
    for one are very expensive... but how good are they.... if we talk about being fast, how well can they actually take photos in poor lighting? using a tripod will reduce the shakes already, so is a fast lens still necessary? etc...etc...
    just some thoughts and questions about fast lens...

Well, fast lenses really build for working professional. So what is different between f2.8 or f1.4 for a pro? it means getting the shot or miss the shot in certain situation. Also you would expect those lens has very good and solid build and they are normally quite "tough".

If you have luxury of using tripod, fast lens really is not needed. Sometime, you don't have a luxury of using tripod as well as using flash light. Hence you are limited with f stop and your iso. If you are using f2.8 at ISO 3200, you are facing with 0.5sec f2.8, would f1 lens help you to get the shot? you bet... but as mention, if we are just having fun taking photos, if we miss that shot, well, try again... But for a pro, especially you are working with competitor, and you can't get that shot and your competitor got the shot because of fast lens... I think you have a lot to explain!

Fast lens still just a lens, it is nothing more than another piece of equipment.... hence should only be treated that way... it is still depend on the user to use it at its full potential.

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan
    Well, fast lenses really build for working professional. So what is different between f2.8 or f1.4 for a pro? it means getting the shot or miss the shot in certain situation. Also you would expect those lens has very good and solid build and they are normally quite "tough".

If you have luxury of using tripod, fast lens really is not needed. Sometime, you don't have a luxury of using tripod as well as using flash light. Hence you are limited with f stop and your iso. If you are using f2.8 at ISO 3200, you are facing with 0.5sec f2.8, would f1 lens help you to get the shot? you bet... but as mention, if we are just having fun taking photos, if we miss that shot, well, try again... But for a pro, especially you are working with competitor, and you can't get that shot and your competitor got the shot because of fast lens... I think you have a lot to explain!

Fast lens still just a lens, it is nothing more than another piece of equipment.... hence should only be treated that way... it is still depend on the user to use it at its full potential.

Hart

v gd

Fast lens look so pro. Make you feel good. Even if you are beginner people think you are some good photographer. Just base on these few intangible benefits it is worth to have them.

On the field, set the camera on program mode and they quite often produce sharper picture than their not so fast sibling in low light.

So why bother about all the technicality about big aperture and speed relationship

Nowaday they make camera even the blind can take ...... sharp pictures.

Regards,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast