View Poll Results: Would you use a microdrive (or harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if I can get ~2x storage for the same price of CF

    16 23.19%
  • Yes, only if I can get ~4x storage for same price of CF

    32 46.38%
  • No way !

    21 30.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow
    used the st 8gb yesterday taken more than 6gb worth of raws...the batt still remained full bar end of the day.yes the batt had been used for abt 7mths..it not new
    I'm considering the 8gb seagate... how's the buffer? Does it increase the write speed?
    TIA...

  2. #42
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    I'm considering the 8gb seagate... how's the buffer? Does it increase the write speed?
    TIA...
    buffer on what?
    camera/CF card...
    all plays a part.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    buffer on what?
    camera/CF card...
    all plays a part.
    The seagate 8gb's buffer of course....

  4. #44
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    The seagate 8gb's buffer of course....
    2mb cache.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    I'm considering the 8gb seagate... how's the buffer? Does it increase the write speed?
    TIA...
    nope it still slower than the lexar 80x and sandisk ultra II
    read/preview/deleting of file also slow. switch off yr preview after shot..else it will be slow as hell
    the only good thing abt it is it the huge memory capacity
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  6. #46
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow
    nope it still slower than the lexar 80x and sandisk ultra II
    read/preview/deleting of file also slow. switch off yr preview after shot..else it will be slow as hell
    the only good thing abt it is it the huge memory capacity
    get a fast camera, then no worries on the CF photodrive.
    *at least for me.

  7. #47
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    get a fast camera, then no worries on the CF photodrive.
    *at least for me.
    PS : which cam are u using those cards on at the moment?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #48

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    nah i wun.....with the droppin CF card prices...wat for hahaha

  9. #49
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    nah i wun.....with the droppin CF card prices...wat for hahaha
    yes, you can wait for prices to drop.
    but pictures don't wait....

    when you need just get 1.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    get a fast camera, then no worries on the CF photodrive.
    *at least for me.
    bo lui liao bro...
    this month and last month $$ damage is too much liao...
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  11. #51
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow
    bo lui liao bro...
    this month and last month $$ damage is too much liao...
    don't buy lo...
    tell ppl don't buy so much, but then i still do so...

    got gd offer ppl still think too ex.. what can i do.
    i'll go out and shoot/take pictures...

  12. #52

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    yes, you can wait for prices to drop.
    but pictures don't wait....

    when you need just get 1.

    eh i dun really need to wait...i already got 6-8gigs worth of cards hhahahahahah

  13. #53
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    eh i dun really need to wait...i already got 6-8gigs worth of cards hhahahahahah
    enough lo...

    for those not enough can PM me.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Looking at Rob Galbraith's site, the 6GB Hitachi (which is the fastest he has tested so far) only manages 3.5MB/s as compared to a Lexar 133x which manages 9.1MB/s measured on a D2x.

    From their respective websites, the Lexar 80x card consumes 65mA @ 5V or 50mA @ 3.3V while the Hitachi 3K8 series (the latest) consume 310mA (peak) and 190mA (write) apparently regardless of voltage.

    This means that you get about 1/3 to 1/2 the performance at triple the power consumption. Many have pointed out that we don't really need the speed most of the time but I would consider the added power consumption and the potential risk of losing a large number of photos to be the biggest downsides of the microdrives.

    I would also stay away from the large solid state cards (even if I could afford them) because of the risk of losing many photos if the card went bad (which I've never experienced in 10 years of using solid state cards). In contrast, I have a first generation 340MB microdrive which only works intermittently.

    I think 100 RAW images on a card is a good balance between minimising the risk vs not having to change cards too frequently but that's of course based on my own style of shooting.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    BTW my 5gb seagate Microdrive ain't working with my D200.. Works fine with my Canon pro 1 though...

  16. #56
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite
    BTW my 5gb seagate Microdrive ain't working with my D200.. Works fine with my Canon pro 1 though...
    Apparently there are some models which have been tested with the D200 and are endorsed by Nikon. The others, well... not really tested, so it's at your own risk.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #57

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    HI,

    You are right. The power consumption is not very ideal. I had a Seagate 4GB MD and I sold it just 3 days after using it. The reason is its slower perfromance and power consumption.

    Using the Seagate 4Gb MD, I could only get 400 shots (no flash) from my new battery in my 300D. I switch to CF flash and got 600 + shots, so that means I lose about 1/3 of battery power with microdrive.

    Another reason is reliability. Using a MD< you always wonder when it is gonna die on you ...




    Quote Originally Posted by deepict
    Looking at Rob Galbraith's site, the 6GB Hitachi (which is the fastest he has tested so far) only manages 3.5MB/s as compared to a Lexar 133x which manages 9.1MB/s measured on a D2x.

    From their respective websites, the Lexar 80x card consumes 65mA @ 5V or 50mA @ 3.3V while the Hitachi 3K8 series (the latest) consume 310mA (peak) and 190mA (write) apparently regardless of voltage.

    This means that you get about 1/3 to 1/2 the performance at triple the power consumption. Many have pointed out that we don't really need the speed most of the time but I would consider the added power consumption and the potential risk of losing a large number of photos to be the biggest downsides of the microdrives.

    I would also stay away from the large solid state cards (even if I could afford them) because of the risk of losing many photos if the card went bad (which I've never experienced in 10 years of using solid state cards). In contrast, I have a first generation 340MB microdrive which only works intermittently.

    I think 100 RAW images on a card is a good balance between minimising the risk vs not having to change cards too frequently but that's of course based on my own style of shooting.

  18. #58
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Would you use microdrive (harddisk type storage) for your digicam?

    Quote Originally Posted by deepict
    Looking at Rob Galbraith's site, the 6GB Hitachi (which is the fastest he has tested so far) only manages 3.5MB/s as compared to a Lexar 133x which manages 9.1MB/s measured on a D2x.

    From their respective websites, the Lexar 80x card consumes 65mA @ 5V or 50mA @ 3.3V while the Hitachi 3K8 series (the latest) consume 310mA (peak) and 190mA (write) apparently regardless of voltage.

    This means that you get about 1/3 to 1/2 the performance at triple the power consumption. Many have pointed out that we don't really need the speed most of the time but I would consider the added power consumption and the potential risk of losing a large number of photos to be the biggest downsides of the microdrives.

    I would also stay away from the large solid state cards (even if I could afford them) because of the risk of losing many photos if the card went bad (which I've never experienced in 10 years of using solid state cards). In contrast, I have a first generation 340MB microdrive which only works intermittently.

    I think 100 RAW images on a card is a good balance between minimising the risk vs not having to change cards too frequently but that's of course based on my own style of shooting.
    Last time MD techonology is different from now.
    things do improve write?

    as for Seagate CF photodrive 8GB has been tested working on nikon most of the cameras and canon too! as for other brand will need to test out first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •