Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Personal Comment, Motorshow 2002

Personally, i find that if the pictures were taken in good taste and of course, if your own personal comments while posting don't come out sounding like some lust driven, hormonally charged teenager, then well, it might help.

I was there for awhile on the 2nd last day and i was shown a whole series of shots by a couple of friends who were there (the shots were given to them as "presents") and IMHO, it was all crap shots. Even more tasteless was the fact that some left handphone numbers and begged for emails or even dates.

And lets see, there were also people going around asking the models to pose in a certain provocative way. The fact that these were people, real people and not some sexual objects to cater to their whims didn't even cross their minds...

I mean, honestly, to be blunt, how many people take the effort and time to get to know the person, behind the make up?

Some don't even ask for permission. Going right up and just start firing off and then walk off without a word of thanks.

And how did the pictures turn out? I guess you all can see for yourself.

In case anyone starts thinking other-wise, this is not directed at anyone....
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 26th November 2002 at 11:42 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Rather sad to see the standard of photography falling in ClubSnap..........

Less attention were given to composition, framing & lighting, seemly more to the models.

Default Re: A Personal Comment, Motorshow 2002

Jed, a very well thought and excellent view.
    Last edited by Goondu; 26th November 2002 at 12:43 PM.

imagine if those girls found out about this site!
    I was thinking of telling my customers to go www.clubsnap.org for newbie info, once they bought their digicams...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Oh btw, German made cars, (like cameras) are better, IMHO. YMMV
    Bollocks, similar Japanese cars are just as well made, are cheaper, but just that they don't have the snob appeal. :P

Originally posted by denizenx
    I was thinking of telling my customers to go www.clubsnap.org for newbie info, once they bought their digicams...
    Well, the fact is, some were already members of clubsnap.

That's a good one, Jed.

I apologise for posting some models shots too.

For a newbie who started taking shots just a few months ago, I find this a very interesting event to test out my different camera configuration, my flash settings (esp when I just bought it not long ago). Heh, I do learn something after the events, special thanks to Malkw for his guidiance. ( tho my shots are still... ) Besides that, as I'm a DC user, I do get some better ideas on photoshop.

I find much fun in it, going with some CS'pers, discussing how to take shots at certain angles, settings, how we gotta like sit on the floor to take some shots. That's all something new to me.

Just my er.... 2 cents
    Last edited by togu; 26th November 2002 at 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by togu

Well, the fact is, some were already members of clubsnap.

That's a good one, Jed.

I apologise for posting some models shots too.

For a newbie who started taking shots just a few months ago, I find this a very interesting event to test out my different camera configuration, my flash settings (esp when I just bought it not long ago). Heh, I do learn something after the events, special thanks to Malkw for his guidiance. ( tho my shots are still... ) Besides that, as I'm a DC user, I do get some better ideas on photoshop.

I find much fun in it, going with some CS'pers, discussing how to take shots at certain angles, settings, how we gotta like sit on the floor to take some shots. That's all something new to me.

Just my er.... 2 cents
    posting of personal work to ask for comments are good ideas... and good way of learing...there are lot of photographers here willing to share and guide as well... a good forum... just that some of them doesn't make use of the forum but miss use it...

very valid points brought up by Jed, well-balanced on all sides. The trend of "appreciating" the pictures out of lust appeal is indeed evident in here, but I guess it really depends on the photographers' intentions. If you post some portraiture of the girls and ask for comments on composition, lighting etc, that is quite warranted. And then, it depends on the respondents to provide constructive and relevant comments. Sure we have some black sheep who start sprouting stuffs like who's chio and who's fat, but the original poster can't control that. It's hard to pin blames on the poster, especially when you don't know if his original intention of posting WAS to seek true photographic input from others, regardless of how good/bad/voyeuristic/non-artistic his shots may be.

Anyway just an offtrack, I find that this time round, the stds of portraiture at the motorshow is indeed a little disappointing. There are some good ones, but most just look like pns shots, with little regards to composition, background, ambient light etc.

I did intend to go to the motorshow just to shoot the girls, and I did intend to post them at CS, but I was too busy to go eventually. But my point of doing that is purely to make use of the good chance to have good subjects (i.e. dare to pose and cooperative) to practice protraiture on. It's hard to get good subjects nowadays, my gf is definitely not one of them.

Lastly, this thing about guys oogling at girls, giving comments, is everywhere, hardly a Singaporean thing. It's just that this is the wrong forum to do it. If anyone has the urge for that, please do it at http://www.sggirls.com instead.
    Last edited by Tweek; 26th November 2002 at 12:45 PM.

Default Interrupt

Yes, I agree. You dont really feel the "Punching effect" when you look at those models potos taken by members.

"Punching Effect" means : The poto is so good that 9 out of 10 will say good.

But anyway, Taking models dont really need much composition compared to landscapes. I think..?

Not even models, other potos taken are more to those point and shoot, not much thinking/planning in taking the shots. See whats infront and shoot blindly.

and surprisingly, some members are even using EXPENSIVE equipments! (Kind of wasted...sigh..)

Sorry to say this but its my own personal feeling. Dont really learn much in terms of potography other then the technical issues...
    Sincerely, the above message is not refering to anyone in clubsnap.
    And commenst I notice are usually "Nice shots" Well done, how you take the shot, what setting you use, what equipment you use...and so on...not much constructive comments in a way that can help the potographer to make their potos from good to best!...Cheers...

Think after reading this message, alot of you might be flaming..paiseh....but just stay cool and think twice whether if the things I bring up are true or not. People can see ......

Hahha..must mosaic my face liao...wait ganna condemn...

Default Re: Interrupt

Originally posted by MatthewSCL
    But anyway, Taking models dont really need much composition compared to landscapes. I think..?
    haha not true.....check out wolfie's portraitures, he puts a lot of thought into the composition.

and surprisingly, some members are even using EXPENSIVE equipments! (Kind of wasted...sigh..)

that I agree, it's a classic example of "good and expensive equipment doesn't guarantee you good pictures"

Default Re: Re: Interrupt

Originally posted by Tweek

haha not true.....check out wolfie's portraitures, he puts a lot of thought into the composition.
    Yup, the difference between planning before shooting and planning juz when u r abt to squeeze the trigger . Makes a whole world of difference.

Default Re: Re: Interrupt

Originally posted by Tweek

Sorry for the confusion, I dont mean everyone's poto lack of composition, most of them I mean...a small group of them still go for composition...

that I agree, it's a classic example of "good and expensive equipment doesn't guarantee you good pictures"
    As for me...I would like to go for pictures that contain feelings....not just point and shoot....

Although I didn't go to any carshow this year, I still remember the autosaloon 2000(I think) I went. I went there originally to take pics of cars, but when I saw the models there, I know which models I prefered to shoot, hehehe! Knowing few friends and no female ones at that time(Yeah, I'm a loser), I know how hard it is for me to take pics of a willing model. Being there was the first time I had the opportunity to shoot BEAUTIFUL Japanese models who even posed and smiled at me, i thought I nearly died and gone to heaven(Yeah, being a loser, this kinda things never happens to me). Not so seriously into photography and no money to hired a model, that was the only way I could take potraits of beautiful women at that time. Hence I understand the current flood of those kinda pics recently. At the same time I also pity the car models as they are often mistreated during the photoshoots by some ugly singaporeans and the long hours modelling. Luckily for me, my shots with my friend's point and shoot camera came out quite alright. The photolab people even gave positive comments on the pics, heheheh...

I want to spend my two cents again here.......
    Generally I am agree to some extend with Jed's comment.
    One thing that's true is I never read motor show models' picture post with foul comments from original posters. What I found was down the track some foul comments appears. Basically what I am expect when I am posting pictures in this forum is to get comments on the photography term. I think this problem won't appears if peoples stick to photography term and refrain from commenting on the models (physically/past/personal/etc which are not related to photography).
    The Suntec Motor Show was a good opportunity to snap potraiture of the models. As just a hobbyist photographer I only got this chance once a year, do someone found this as a guilty?

Let's not judge people by their equipment (expensive/cheap), judge them by their work. Each people has their own way to burn their money.

Enough to said...let's start to be a decent people and be considerate!
    W204FL

Default Re: Re: Re: Interrupt

Originally posted by xdivider
    Yup, the difference between planning before shooting and planning juz when u r abt to squeeze the trigger . Makes a whole world of difference.
    That's mostly the "benefit" of digital, making people shooting without planning.

I would like to ask:
    In event such as Motorshow where they put girls to accompany the products, if somebody take pictures of those girls without the product itself, would the photographers legally need a model-releases (or permission from exhibitor) to publish the pictures?

Originally posted by denizenx
    so what if they they found out about this site?? they quit modeling??

Actually...

I feel that there is really nothing wrong with what happened in the past week.

Granted that there are many who go for the girls more than the cars, there are also many who like photography more.

Honestly to go for the cars alone is a waste of my $8.

I had a lot of fun shooting at the girls, I learned a lot about my camera capability & limitation. Hey, I prefer to shoot a pretty face anyday, I do not see what wrong with that. It did help however that a few of the girls there were my friends.

It was good pratice to have model posing for me at just $8, call me cheapo but I never made any unresonable demands.

For most of us, I would encourage to keep on taking pictures. That is the way to improve.

Of course, we must have have integrity in not posting the pictures in inapproperiate website. (I discovered some of my past pics on sggirls, I since stop posting pics)

Respect the models, I had a friend at the show who constantly have to fend off arms of overly-enthusiatic or rather horny fans. That is very bad.

Relax.

Originally posted by zekai
    Actually...

I feel that there is really nothing wrong with what happened in the past week.

Granted that there are many who go for the girls more than the cars, there are also many who like photography more.

Honestly to go for the cars alone is a waste of my $8.

I had a lot of fun shooting at the girls, I learned a lot about my camera capability & limitation. Hey, I prefer to shoot a pretty face anyday, I do not see what wrong with that. It did help however that a few of the girls there were my friends.

It was good pratice to have model posing for me at just $8, call me cheapo but I never made any unresonable demands.

For most of us, I would encourage to keep on taking pictures. That is the way to improve.

Of course, we must have have integrity in not posting the pictures in inapproperiate website. (I discovered some of my past pics on sggirls, I since stop posting pics)

Respect the models, I had a friend at the show who constantly have to fend off arms of overly-enthusiatic or rather horny fans. That is very bad.

Relax.
    Another member of the cheapo's club . Actually i was wondering, how much do they charge usually for, say 2 hrs of shooting? I tot that $8 was worth it considering u can take cars and candids when u r tired of shooting models.

Originally posted by xdivider

Another member of the cheapo's club . Actually i was wondering, how much do they charge usually for, say 2 hrs of shooting? I tot that $8 was worth it considering u can take cars and candids when u r tired of shooting models.

Yeah man, I am not ashamed of it...

Depend on the models, range from amatuer model $100 to realli top of the line $XXXX.

That is not including signing away their rights. That is separately negotiated.

Can always find a pretty friend for free.... (Sorri, my cheapo culture)

Originally posted by zekai

Yeah man, I am not ashamed of it...

Depend on the models, range from amatuer model $100 to realli top of the line $XXXX.

That is not including signing away their rights. That is separately negotiated.

Can always find a pretty friend for free.... (Sorri, my cheapo culture)
    Good for u, my pretty frens all camera shy or i too lousy, dun wanna model for me . I guess have to practice with my teddy bear at home if i want to improve my lighting and exposure skills.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast