Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, Kashmir,Xinjiang in May?

Default Re: Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang in M

The gathering / get together session would be on 24th March 2006 at 730pm
    Venue: Coffee Bean @ Paya Lebar Post Office Building (Across Paya Lebar MRT station)

Let me start the ball rolling:

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond
    3. laofuzi

http://www.shangrila-adventure.com
    Last edited by ckbekeong; 7th March 2006 at 02:05 PM.
    Birth Age Illness Death - The Beauty of life

Default Re: Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang in M

Yup. High altitude is like dat. Weather unpredictable. You're right abt the Golden Week, it will be filled with people. Mine was after...

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    So your whole Sichuan trip was in May? I seems like it was still snowing around the Siguniang area?

May can be a bit tricky in the sense that the first week is the Golden Week. Wonder if the places you covered will be flooded with Chinese tourists.

Might have to trouble you to dig out that drivers contact number.

Default Re: Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang in May?

I've driven a 4x4 along the Old Silk Road from Istanbul through Iran, Pakistan, Xinjiang Uyghur, China, Yunan, Laos and Thailand back to Malaysia, I've also driven the reverse route from Malaysia, through Thailand, Laos, China, Tibet and Nepal to India. And last year I drove from London through Western and Eastern Europe including Belarus, Poland, Russia, and Kazakstan entering Xinjiang Uyghur through Turfan and Urumqi before swinging south to Jiuzhaiguo, Chengdu, the northern Himalayan foothills through Sichuan, Yunan and Laos back to Malaysia. Contact me if you have any general questions about your trip. In all our expeditions through China over the last 5 years we've always used a local Chinese agent based in Yunan for all the ground arrangements in China. You can view some of my crappy pictures from those trips HERE

Here's a sample of the tracks and "switchbacks" you'll be driving through in Tibet if you decide to drive there. You travel 30 km forward to go 1000 meters downwards.

And here's what the track to Zorgang looks like

Another typical view on the track towards the Lalung La Pass at nearly 5000 meters.

And this is the simple red line that separates Tibet from Nepal drawn across the mid point of the Friendship Bridge across the Bhotekoshi or Sun Kosi River, 10 kilometers from Zhang Mu, a Tibetan village perche' hanging precariously down the side of a steep Himalayan Mountain.

Would really love to join you to go see Tibet again.
    Last edited by Digitalartist; 8th March 2006 at 07:50 PM.
    Yusuf Hashim
    digitalartist.com.my

Default Re: Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang in May?

Thanks for sharing digitalartist...those are awesome...

Venue: Coffee Bean @ Paya Lebar Post Office Building (Across Paya Lebar MRT station)

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond
    3. laofuzi
    4. gomus

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond
    3. laofuzi
    4. gomus
    5. Discman(depends on price) Do we get to drive the rover

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond
    3. laofuzi
    4. gomus
    6. blurrblurr aka jonathan (erm high chance going if within budget).

very very tempting.... if not for celebrating my baby's first month around that time...

Anyone going in last week of July till National Day?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

the route planned sounds good.
    any plan date for the session yet.

sorry folks, manage to see the meeting time and place now(tot there's only one page previously).
    im keen to esplore the trip.
    will likely be there to meet up.

sorry, is this for kakis only?
    do u guys know each other?

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond
    3. laofuzi
    4. gomus
    6. blurrblurr aka jonathan (erm high chance going if within budget).
    OK keen to join in. Meet you guys at the Coffee Bean.

7. Fastshot (Ng)

1. ckbe
    2. Desmond (Contacts given)
    3. laofuzi (Contacts given)
    4. gomus (Contacts given)
    5. Discman
    6. blurrblurr aka jonathan
    7. rt7snap
    8. Fastshot (Ng)

For those who have given me their contacts and name, thanks! For those who are interested but who have not given me your name and contacts, do kindly PM me so that in the event you can't turn up, at least with your contact number, i know whether to wait up for you or not.

Cheers!
    CK

1. ckbe
    5. Discman
    7. rt7snap (Contacts given)
    8. Fastshot (Ng) (Contacts given)

For those who have given me their contacts and name, thanks! For those who are interested but who have not given me your name and contacts, do kindly PM me so that in the event you can't turn up, at least with your contact number, i know whether to wait up for you or not.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    very very tempting.... if not for celebrating my baby's first month around that time...
    Nevertheless, congratulations!!

1. ckbe
    5. Discman (Contacts given)
    7. rt7snap (Contacts given)
    8. Fastshot (Ng) (Contacts given)

Cheers!
    CK

1. ckbe
    6. rt7snap (Contacts given)
    7. Fastshot (Ng) (Contacts given)

Cheers!
    CK

I cannot attend this meeting due to work. And can only made my final decision on 25th. Will update u guys

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    This is a interesting topic to me cause I have plan for it too.
    Planning for Tibet and Nepal but can only be one.
    TIbet is nice,but try to avoid July/Aug. Wet season, usually cloudy
    was there 2 years ago, nice place and scenery

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr

1. ckbe
    6. rt7snap (Contacts given)
    7. Fastshot (Ng) (Contacts given)

Cheers!
    CK

I cannot attend this meeting due to work. And can only made my final decision on 25th. Will update u guys

Hey no problem... In case you can make it, do drop me a PM... I will check on that day...

Cheers!
    CK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast