View Poll Results: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

78 72.90%
  • Yes

29 27.10%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

Default Re: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

I will be moving somewhere like thailand, where Sing dollar are much stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    chop the head to build more bridges & buildings.

take the intestines to make your pig intestine soup (technically they look the same, i think feel the same too... sg's fav soup)

take the skin for grafting on other ppl...

extract collagen, placenta, watever...

den left the remains, mince & feed animals... or make into multivitamins.

retirement age keep raising.. got time to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    I noticed quite a lot voted NO. But gotta understand this to retire elsewhere, you will need $$ or be in demand for their country. So you gotta go there now and start working to get your citizenship. The grass is always greener over the other side, but I suspect a lot who voted NO would still be here in Spore - coz most Sporeans... talk only... hahahaa!

singaporean talk cause they hold the dreams , then when the time comes , it a question of living the dreams
    hahahahahaah

but i am glad that we all talk it out, otherwise i really think that all have plans for retirement made for already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes
    retirement age keep raising.. got time to retire?
    Never more than agree with you dude. As times goes by, the future old people is getting more & more than the young ones. So can we retire early? I don't think so & that's the true fact. Sad huh!

when I was in poly, I asked a sg PR guy, who was taking the same course as me, when was he going to be a singaporean?
    his answer was, "only stupid people be singaporean. sg is a place to study & make money only." with the money made in sg, he bought land & property in kedah. maybe the cost of living there is lower.
    Last edited by syncpuppet; 20th March 2006 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by syncpuppet
    when I was in poly, I asked a sg PR guy, who was taking the same course as me, when is he going to be a singaporean.
    his answer was, "only stupid people be singaporean. sg is a place to study & make money only." with the money made in sg, he bought land & property in kedah. maybe the cost of living is lower there.
    From my humble experience, his response and reaction is typical Malaysian.

They endure the "hardship" of being a work permit or EP holder, save up and be a landlord at their own truf. Something that they can NEVER do if they were to remain behind, except for marrying into a rich family or stroke of luck befalls on them or having the right skin color and connections.

Earn S$, spend 2.3X RM. Shiok. Doing the same job somemore, where to find in Malaysia ? Plus you can insult the host garmet and people (like your friend's answer) and still get away with it. If I try the same stunn in Malaysia, I am more likely to be chased off or beaten up or robbed and then left to die by the streets side.

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Ya, but other countries not like here... higher standard of living together with high stress. The rat race in Singapore is not what I want... Lower standard of living? No problem. I don't need a condo with big swimming pools and squash/tennis courts... I'd rather live in wide open spaces... Singapore is too cramped, too crowded, too restrictive.

We can't drive a car with license plate that starts with "SEX"? We can't watch R(A) shows when under 21 yrs but can legally have sex at 16 and be married at 18? Pls, we're not babies....
    I must agree with this one.

Well, election is coming.

Perhaps when the white ants showed up while we are having our makan at the hawker centre, we should make this voice heard (and acted upon, I hoped).....

for me. i guess i will retire to the mountains high up in the alps. or somewhere near it. enjoy a slow pace of life.

and if i have children. i guess for my children. i will have to stay here and watch them grow up here, and when they are independant enough. prolly i will just go to the himalayans once every 4-5 months and breathe the fresh air there..

(IF) i were to haf children, i guess personal sacrifaces like staying here is worth it, considering the quality of education and security we have here..

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Well, election is coming.

Perhaps when the white ants showed up while we are having our makan at the hawker centre, we should make this voice heard (and acted upon, I hoped).....
    yeah i agree.. tell them. the little ants have to be heard !! they are not dead, and they must know that we are suffering here....

Buy a house in Mount Pleasant, Adam Drive, Adam Park, Hyderabad Road, Sembawang Road area... Relax admist the lush greenery and tranquility.

You can say that now..but if you really go stay on a mountain for a few years ...

"Where are all the @$#@#$@ ppl"

I can say that cause I went to blue mountains for a week hols....

first 2 days I was pretty alright..taking photos and stuff

2nd night..."where are all the girls!?"

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    for me. i guess i will retire to the mountains high up in the alps. or somewhere near it. enjoy a slow pace of life.

and if i have children. i guess for my children. i will have to stay here and watch them grow up here, and when they are independant enough. prolly i will just go to the himalayans once every 4-5 months and breathe the fresh air there..

(IF) i were to haf children, i guess personal sacrifaces like staying here is worth it, considering the quality of education and security we have here..
    I agree with you there (no I don't live in Singapore).
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................
    I am waiting for the time when I can go back to Singapore for a visit.
    I realy like much about the culture, the people and how you take care of your life.

But for retirement I would have to have more space and less buildings. If possible, clean air.

I would feel too closed-in living out my free years in Singapore.

There are still places in the world where there is open spaces, beaches, clean air and water, that doesn't cost you a bomb to live.

I just hope they are still that way when I retire.

Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp
    You can say that now..but if you really go stay on a mountain for a few years ...

"Where are all the @$#@#$@ ppl"

I can say that cause I went to blue mountains for a week hols....

first 2 days I was pretty alright..taking photos and stuff

2nd night..."where are all the girls!?"
    thats you.. i say mah.. happen if i haf a wife and no children. den its ok. otherwise for i think. its good to have friends there to accompany there as in the mountains there..

well... maybe when i think back, i will prolly start to miss the luxuries and etc etc... and maybe start to have weird thoughs in my brain like "omg why this toilet the flushing system so good one ah ?. wah liao.. after 6 no light liao..zzzz, theres the freaking candle again!! "

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Die??? Due to lack of land space, they may have to bury you somewhere or worst, dump your body into the sea to become fish food.
    this might just be the next multimillion dollar industry!
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Buy a house in Mount Pleasant, Adam Drive, Adam Park, Hyderabad Road, Sembawang Road area... Relax admist the lush greenery and tranquility.
    by the time i can finish paying for a house, those places will probably be full of apartments already. retire in concrete!

Quote Originally Posted by syncpuppet
    when I was in poly, I asked a sg PR guy, who was taking the same course as me, when was he going to be a singaporean?
    his answer was, "only stupid people be singaporean. sg is a place to study & make money only." with the money made in sg, he bought land & property in kedah. maybe the cost of living there is lower.
    to realise it at that age, good for him man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    From my humble experience, his response and reaction is typical Malaysian.

They endure the "hardship" of being a work permit or EP holder, save up and be a landlord at their own truf. Something that they can NEVER do if they were to remain behind, except for marrying into a rich family or stroke of luck befalls on them or having the right skin color and connections.

Earn S$, spend 2.3X RM. Shiok. Doing the same job somemore, where to find in Malaysia ? Plus you can insult the host garmet and people (like your friend's answer) and still get away with it. If I try the same stunn in Malaysia, I am more likely to be chased off or beaten up or robbed and then left to die by the streets side.
    so have u wondered why the typical malaysian will say that?

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    I will leave the moment I get the chance. Now already so expensive, you think in 30-40 years time, it'll be easier on us? No chance man...

getting more expensive....yet trying to make salary cheaper....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast