View Poll Results: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

78 72.90%
  • Yes

29 27.10%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

Default Re: Would you stay in Singapore for retirement?

next questions would be if you retire at 62, how much $ do you need to live and enjoy comfortably without working if you can live up to 90 year old? (considering living cost is rising). do you think you can earn enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    Singapore is a high cost of living country. Given a chance to migrate, would you stay in Singapore for retirement?
    15 years ago I would say I will live and die here. In the last decade I am trying hard to work my way out of Singapore if I can...or die trying. heheheh...

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i would want to be near my family in my golden years

Problem is will your family want you near them or pop you over to the old age home. heheh..

Problem is difficult to save money in singapore..housing is a major source of funds depletion. Otherwise it would still be ok to live there, only food is cheap.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    I prefer the government to cremate my body and scatter my ashes into the sea. I mean, rather than future archaelogists digging up your grave, analysing your bones and worst, disply for public viewing.
    I doubt your gave would last that long. We do cemetery recycling and "re-allocation" here in SG remember? Die also have no peace...

Quote Originally Posted by edfck
    er... stay NO!!... die, YES.
    die here? not enough space already you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    I doubt your gave would last that long. We do cemetery recycling and "re-allocation" here in SG remember? Die also have no peace...
    not really wat... the govt is nice lor... they let u change scenery once in a while, and also have a change of environment, and new neighbours... then those govt ones are best... they even make it look like HDB flat, different race, different religion on the same block... just wonder if they have quota for chinese anot...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    die here? not enough space already you know?
    hmm so where u wanna die?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm so where u wanna die?
    die here can lah, but must queue up right? i mean if you don't want to stay here then others staying here will have priority to die here mah

this beginning to sound very negative, but when you are old and need health care, no where in Asia is able to provide the level here althought beware of the rising cost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Problem is will your family want you near them or pop you over to the old age home. heheh..
    haha, remember you reap what you sow
    you must make yourself fun to have around
    instead of a grumpy old man

A lot of you are missing the point. When you are that old, do you think you are eligible for migration? Every country has their set of criteria and the ability to contribute to their economy is one major factor. If you are old do you think their doors will be open for you so that you could contribute to the number of their aging population? Unless you have tons of money to invest into their economy, then again if you have that kinda money does it really matter where you retire?

If you want to migrate, do it when you are young. If you get older, you can continue to dream....

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    A lot of you are missing the point. When you are that old, do you think you are eligible for migration? Every country has their set of criteria and the ability to contribute to their economy is one major factor. If you are old do you think their doors will be open for you so that you could contribute to the number of their aging population? Unless you have tons of money to invest into their economy, then again if you have that kinda money does it really matter where you retire?

If you want to migrate, do it when you are young. If you get older, you can continue to dream....

where ever you go at whatever age....old or young if you have the $$$$...you are welcome with open arms. I know. I have older folks I know who have done so. One in particular sold his business, migrated to Argentina to rear horses.

But I do know where you are coming from. That is understandable I guess.

Malaysia for one has already declared while Dr Mathatir was still the PM that Malaysia welcome people with the means to retire to come spend their golden years in Malaysia. I am considering this option still since 90% of my relatives are there...and another place would be Thailand. I am more then willing to give up shopping for more Armani suits, buying new watches and eating in 5 stars restaurants..and yes..heaven forbid...give up photography or at least DSLRS lah heheh...all this so call cmmerciallism lifestyle in my sunset years means little to me. I would be happy with a simple house by the seaside, enough to eat.Try to buy a house by the beach in Singapore if you can heheh...And if you don;t start to "how lian" all over the place in another country with your so call wealth..who knows you are that loaded or rob you. I know quite a few individuals who are like that. Even in Singapore...if got money...better to keep quiet. hehe well that's take on life. My life that is...

Singapore to me is just not "aging" friendly. Fact it...some would go so far to say it is not even "middle age" friendly.
    Last edited by sammy888; 3rd March 2006 at 02:50 PM.

Having stayed oversea for a decade before coming back to sg, i used yearn to migrate oversea (to my destinated choice of country) and call it "home".

Now, I am pretty certain after staying put in few countries. The grass will always look greener to others where they have not experience living in there. I call Singapore - my home; My root lies here and I am contended where I am.
    Last edited by kitkat; 3rd March 2006 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Singapore -> advanced developing country.

To move to any place that has a "cheaper cost of living" = lower standard of living.
    To move to any place that has the same, if not higher, standard of living compared to Singapore = higher cost of living.

There's no free lunch out there, my friend. Which country is ai pi ai chi?
    Ya, but other countries not like here... higher standard of living together with high stress. The rat race in Singapore is not what I want... Lower standard of living? No problem. I don't need a condo with big swimming pools and squash/tennis courts... I'd rather live in wide open spaces... Singapore is too cramped, too crowded, too restrictive.

We can't drive a car with license plate that starts with "SEX"? We can't watch R(A) shows when under 21 yrs but can legally have sex at 16 and be married at 18? Pls, we're not babies....
    Last edited by philliptan; 3rd March 2006 at 02:47 PM.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

I dun know why people complain that Singapore's expensive? If you're willing to lead a simple lifestyle (ie. stay in HDB, take public transport, eat in Hawker Centre), I really can't think of another developed country which has a cheaper cost of living.

I know cause I lived in North America for a bit, and while there are some aspects of that place that I miss a lot (seasons, space, parks, etc.), I certainly wouldn't migrate there if cost of living was the only consideration.

If you live until retirement age, I think you might as well retire where you have been living for most of your life. There are factors worth considering such as friends, relatives, food, climate, culture, language (our Singlish may not be easily comprehensible to a western ear) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jhansolo
    this beginning to sound very negative, but when you are old and need health care, no where in Asia is able to provide the level here althought beware of the rising cost.

yup...the cost is an issue. Today and tomorrow. Can you afforded it then? Health Care in Singapore is high but yes so is the rest of the developed nations around the world.

From what I have been read regarding health care, for example Thailand Bangkok's hospital and level of advancement is right up to par if not approaching it. Yes of course you will have to pay for it too but they are cheaper. There has been more and more people flying over there from all over the world to be treated. Unless you have something so rare and difficult to dignose ( or heaven for bid another siamese twin ) You can come Singapore and give it a go...but bring a big purse. BUt then again I guess I could always still stay here but go oversea for treatment...even with the cost of an airticket it is still cheaper.
    Last edited by sammy888; 3rd March 2006 at 03:04 PM.

for me it'll depend on the location of family, friends and relatives. no point moving to a place where u're all alone.
    Last edited by mpenza; 3rd March 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    for me it'll depend on the location of family, friends and relatives. no point moving to a place where u're all alone.
    Maybe I'm weird... but that's precisely why I want to leave... just bring my parents and wife/kids along...
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast