Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Some time ago, I left 2 cf card in the car, one 256MB Kingston Normal CF and the other is the 340MB MD, Well sad to say for some reason the 256MB Kingston CF card decided to retire! While the MD survived!

    Anyone has similar experience that solid state CF retire after some heat treatment?
    Interesting experience...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Lock the thread. This has generated more than enough heat.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Some time ago, I left 2 cf card in the car, one 256MB Kingston Normal CF and the other is the 340MB MD, Well sad to say for some reason the 256MB Kingston CF card decided to retire! While the MD survived!

    Anyone has similar experience that solid state CF retire after some heat treatment?
    If you look at the specifications for a product, there is usually an operating temperature range. Sometimes devices won't function if it's subjected to very low temperatures or it may be damaged when subjected to high temperatures. Since a MD generates a lot more heat than a CF when it is operating, I would think it is manufactured to withstand more heat whereas a CF would not be required to do so. Therefore it is not surprising that your CF card went to tech heaven under the scorching heat in your car.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I'm puzzled. when everyone talks about MD "failure". What kind of "failure" are we talking about? Could we be more specific and narrow down to some form of failure instead of a broad spectrum of 'failures'.
    It is the failure of the HDD to respond. As in the case of 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs, most of the failure is due to the head (the moving part) not being able to respond. But, in MD's, the time to failure will be rated higher, since the estimate that it's usage is higher. It all depends on build quality, materials used, etc...

    The industry itself is moving towards a flash based solution, because they see that the memory is more stable as compared to HDD.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by hifisiao
    ok. lets see. Who has a broken Microdrive and lost his/her data please raise his/her voice here.

    Anyone? We need statistics to determine something here.
    primary rule: Statistics always lie.

    And for this kind of a statistic, you need photographers who use the disk everyday, under varying conditions, etc. Try doing the survey for a world wide audience, then you might get a better result.

  6. #66
    Member BirdRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    360

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    what happens if you drop the thing arhhhggggg!
    T11-16F2.8G|N24F1.4G|N50F1.8G|S50F1.4G|N70-200F2.8GVRI

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    To hifisiao, unseen and Deadpoet,

    Please cool off for a while, walk away, have kopi, and then visit other threads where you are not involved in an argument.

    There are some good discussions here, so please do not continue your argument and force the thread to be closed.

    Thanks!

    - Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    810

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    I'm about to buy MD's and therefore am very interested in this thread. Are there any stats about the MD's MTBF and those for CF cards? This can be the final determinant for me to make up my mind whether to get the MDc or not. Help please. Thanks.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    By the way, to hifisiao, you have used abusive language and name calling which is against the CS terms of use. Please read and follow the CS terms of use to help maintain a harmonious environment for everyone.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by syl
    I'm about to buy MD's and therefore am very interested in this thread. Are there any stats about the MD's MTBF and those for CF cards? This can be the final determinant for me to make up my mind whether to get the MDc or not. Help please. Thanks.
    go google

    MD = 30000 hours = 3.4 years
    CF = 1000000 hours = 114 years

    Chance of having failed MD is 33.3x higher than CF

    IMO, just get CF for the peace of mind, most CF card got lifetime warranty while microdrive only 1 year...few years down the road, at least u still can get your CF card replaced (make sure u get a reputable brand) while the microdrive will become a paperweight (probably too light to be paperweight)

    Other spec to consider

    Shock Tolerance : 1000Gs Operating
    Vibration Tolerance : 15Gs
    Endurance: 300000 cycles per logical sector
    Last edited by Wai; 5th March 2006 at 06:34 PM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    By the way, to hifisiao, you have used abusive language and name calling which is against the CS terms of use. Please read and follow the CS terms of use to help maintain a harmonious environment for everyone.

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Near Bishan Gardens
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    go google

    MD = 30000 hours = 3.4 years
    CF = 1000000 hours = 114 years

    Chance of having failed MD is 33.3x higher than CF

    IMO, just get CF for the peace of mind

    Paiseh... I don't know whether i am right but the figures is based on usage hours right? If so, then 3.4 years is a very long time.

    Just like i heard the lifespan of a camera shutter is in the range of 100,000... I have used my cam for one year and the shutter count is only 6500 so if i would to divide 100,000 by 6500, it would roughly translate to 15 years!

    I think all of us can agree that when it comes to moving parts, it has higher chance of failure compare to products with no moving parts. So for people who depend on photography for a living, the choice is clear. But when it come to value for money, then it is a different ball game.

    As long as you take care MD and don't let it drop from a certain height, i don't see why it can't last for years...
    Birth Age Illness Death - The Beauty of life

  13. #73

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    MD = 30000 hours = 3.4 years
    CF = 1000000 hours = 114 years

    so let say if i use only around 100 hours per month x 12 = 1200 hours / year

    MD : 30000/1200 = can last for 25 years
    CF : 1000000/1200 = 833.333 years..

    for me both are same interm of life time.. new technology invented every year.. i think we never use the same technology for 20 years right? i wonder who still using 100MB Harddisk drive nowadays?
    so no effect for me interm of life time...

  14. #74

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    just adding my 2 cents..

    read the first and last page of this thread.

    I think its worth the couple of bucks spent of a solid state memory to have a peace of mind that your memory will most probably never fail.

    after all, you're spending thousands of dollars on a camera. Not to mention lenses as well.

    Its like buying a ferrari and buying the cheapest tyres u can find, using the cheapest gas and oil.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Lock the thread. This has generated more than enough heat.
    agreed.

    Verdict:
    BUY CF This pleases everyone. Introduction of MDs were blasphemous and have incited lots of undue distress amongst CS members.

    I'm still sticking to my cheapskate ways of using a 4GB at a price you can only imagine. I will post a new thread the day when it fails me.

    Peace. May the force be with you.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •