Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

  1. #21

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    Interesting YewKay, seems like the microdrive is a good option considering the price per storage.

    The more important test results would be in-camera write and read times. Since, the microdrives require more time powering up than solidstate devices, and accessing physical memory locations, the write and read times there would vary significantly. I would say, good enough for regular shoots, but tough to match at higher fps. Also, the reliability of microdrives is less compared to solidstate devices, and no I am not talking about subjecting the drive to physical pain. The microdrives have moving mechanical parts, which are bound to fail over time due to wear and tear. But, the solidstate devices have no such problems (the dealers confidently give lifetime warranty ), and in the longer run serve you better.

    Well, I guess it is good enough to last 2 to 3 years, so don't mind changing to a higher capacity after that Anyway I have a 340MB Microdrive which is still working after 7 years.... humm.....

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    Interesting YewKay, seems like the microdrive is a good option considering the price per storage.

    The more important test results would be in-camera write and read times. Since, the microdrives require more time powering up than solidstate devices, and accessing physical memory locations, the write and read times there would vary significantly. I would say, good enough for regular shoots, but tough to match at higher fps. Also, the reliability of microdrives is less compared to solidstate devices, and no I am not talking about subjecting the drive to physical pain. The microdrives have moving mechanical parts, which are bound to fail over time due to wear and tear. But, the solidstate devices have no such problems (the dealers confidently give lifetime warranty ), and in the longer run serve you better.
    at 1/4 the price ($/GB). with 1 year warranty, I can buy 1 MD each year after the warranty expired and have the latest and fastest MD, with probably bigger capacity at the same price.

    Remember that hard disk prices have not changed much over the years but the capacity has been increasing. ash.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  3. #23

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Well, I guess it is good enough to last 2 to 3 years, so don't mind changing to a higher capacity after that Anyway I have a 340MB Microdrive which is still working after 7 years.... humm.....
    wow, good for you. I am not sure what the humm stands for, but there are people in this world who have lived upto the age of 120.

  4. #24
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    YYK - abit OT here, but any idea how is the performance when used with a PDA?
    Where can I buy this Seagate drive?
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    YYK - abit OT here, but any idea how is the performance when used with a PDA?
    Where can I buy this Seagate drive?
    PDA ah.. hard to find any PDAs that use CF card liao leh.... if i can get hold of one I'll PM you..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  6. #26
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    PDA ah.. hard to find any PDAs that use CF card liao leh.... if i can get hold of one I'll PM you..
    I using hx4700, got dual CF and SD
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  7. #27

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    I using hx4700, got dual CF and SD
    Quite rare to find other hx4700 users. But using a microdrive on a PDA would be quite killer for the batt life no?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    PDA ah.. hard to find any PDAs that use CF card liao leh.... if i can get hold of one I'll PM you..
    my 2210 also got dual slot

  9. #29

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    wow, good for you. I am not sure what the humm stands for, but there are people in this world who have lived upto the age of 120.
    well, the humm is for wondering when it is going to give up on me

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by burmesterhifi

    Knowing that drops happen, Seagate built the ST1 Series with G-Force Protection, which protects the drive against shock by moving the
    heads off the media when the device is powered off. Thus, during a drop, no parts make contact with each other inside the drive. G-Force
    Protection makes any handheld device using ST1 drives more robust and more reliable as well.
    Although CF is not 100% reliable (I have a dead CF card before), the chance of CF failure is definitely lower than MD because there are no moving parts in the CF.

    When the last thing i ever want is a dead MD with 4GB worth of photo disappear, no way i will take the risk

  11. #31

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Ha ha ha..thats how data recovery centers survived till today!

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    my 2210 also got dual slot
    your 2210 is only good for GPS navigation
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #33
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    your 2210 is only good for GPS navigation


    thanks for the test, UK! my colleague is currently using the 8GB version for his 350D. so far, no complaints from him too. like u, he shot in jpgs. however, i tried the 4GB hitachi 'ripped from muvo' MD drives 2yrs ago when it was all the rage. yeah. true, its value for money (back then, 4GB CF cards will cost u ur kidney...). but, its pretty darn slow on my ex-300D and i was shooting RAW. looks like they've improved the tech in the last 2-3 yrs.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

  14. #34

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    haha, everyone raise their concern when it comes to data storage and recovery. But the fact is few people do backup of their computer hard drives. Talk is always easy ... ... even in many corporate office, their backups are mostly outdated.

    For many of us who shoot for casual rather than professionals, I can still afford to lose my pictures. But if you are a FL for weddings and events, you better use choose your equipments based on highest reliability.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    Although CF is not 100% reliable (I have a dead CF card before), the chance of CF failure is definitely lower than MD because there are no moving parts in the CF.

    When the last thing i ever want is a dead MD with 4GB worth of photo disappear, no way i will take the risk
    Last edited by burmesterhifi; 3rd March 2006 at 02:29 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by burmesterhifi
    haha, everyone raise their concern when it comes to data storage and recovery. But the fact is few people do backup of their computer hard drives. Talk is always easy ... ... even in many corporate office, their backups are mostly outdated.
    Yah...luckily both my server and camera got RAID 1 for storage

    1D MKII got dual slots and can write to both cards at the same time
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  16. #36

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    at 1/4 the price ($/GB). with 1 year warranty, I can buy 1 MD each year after the warranty expired and have the latest and fastest MD, with probably bigger capacity at the same price.

    Remember that hard disk prices have not changed much over the years but the capacity has been increasing. ash.
    Well, I really don't understand how you can have a new MD after warranty expired? Sell old one and buy a new one? Or are you saying that since the cost is 1/4 per GB, you just go buy another new one?

    You are absolutely correct, MD is meaningfully cheaper than Flash Memory, but that is only part of the equation. With moving parts, it is absolutely more prome to failure. When it failed, and you have data in it, or you are in the middle of a shoot, no amount of warranty or cost per GB is going to do you any good.

    I am not saying flash memory does not fail, but it is must less likely to fail. The game of probability is definately on the side of flash memory.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    I'm puzzled. when everyone talks about MD "failure". What kind of "failure" are we talking about? Could we be more specific and narrow down to some form of failure instead of a broad spectrum of 'failures'.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  18. #38

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I'm puzzled. when everyone talks about MD "failure". What kind of "failure" are we talking about? Could we be more specific and narrow down to some form of failure instead of a broad spectrum of 'failures'.
    Failure means 2 things to me.

    1) When I loose any data.

    2) When it does not work as it is suppose to, specifically and especially when I am shooting.

    Why it fails is irrevelent to me. If and when it fails, it failed.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  19. #39

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    ok. lets see. Who has a broken Microdrive and lost his/her data please raise his/her voice here.

    Anyone? We need statistics to determine something here.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by hifisiao
    ok. lets see. Who has a broken Microdrive and lost his/her data please raise his/her voice here.

    Anyone? We need statistics to determine something here.
    I did. Once with an IBM 1 GB MD.

    However, if there are moving parts, the likihood that it will fail is definately higher than those without moving parts.

    It's a higher risk.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •