Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Lens -w gd bokeh

Default Portrait Lens -w gd bokeh

hi folks,
    need your recommendations on what lens to buy for portrait shot, both indoor and outdoor.

What do you think? can pls give some tips and comments and recommendations on choosing lens for this purpose?

(EF 50mm f/1.8 II) and the (EF 85mm f/1.8 USM) or any other choices?

I like these both bc its cheap and wide opening. it is suitable for this needs? or rather,what is the specific applications that this is for?

Can both of this be use with the 2x or 1.4x extender

Canon 350D, 3 months old

Deregistered

Default Re: Portrait Lens -w gd bokeh

200 f/1.8
    135 f/2
    300 f/2.8
    400 f/2.8
    500 f/4
    600 f/4

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    200 f/1.8
    135 f/2
    300 f/2.8
    400 f/2.8
    500 f/4
    600 f/4
    espn, u got close to 18000 posting!!! im proud of u too man!

Quote Originally Posted by rt7snap
    hi folks,
    need your recommendations on what lens to buy for portrait shot, both indoor and outdoor.

What do you think? can pls give some tips and comments and recommendations on choosing lens for this purpose?

(EF 50mm f/1.8 II) and the (EF 85mm f/1.8 USM) or any other choices?

I like these both bc its cheap and wide opening. it is suitable for this needs? or rather,what is the specific applications that this is for?

Can both of this be use with the 2x or 1.4x extender

Canon 350D, 3 months old
    The 50mm can be used as a portrait lens but only thing have to go a bit nearer to your subject. The 85mm on the other hand is the best for portraits as IMO, it is a portrait lens. Bokeh is very gd as the 85mm have more diaphragm blades (8) than the 50mm f/1.8 II (5).

I don't think those extenders can be used as it's made for the L series of lens. Maybe third part ones can.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    The 50mm can be used as a portrait lens but only thing have to go a bit nearer to your subject. The 85mm on the other hand is the best for portraits as IMO, it is a portrait lens. Bokeh is very gd as the 85mm have more diaphragm blades (8) than the 50mm f/1.8 II (5).

I don't think those extenders can be used as it's made for the L series of lens. Maybe third part ones can.

1) IMO?

2) oh, tks for the info abt extender?
    wat r the 3party brand extender for other L lens?

1) IMO?

2) oh, tks for the info abt extender?
    wat r the 3party brand extender for other L lens?
    IMO = in my opinion (it's an abbreviation)

3rd party can consider kenko or another one called something pro one.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

IMO = in my opinion (it's an abbreviation)

3rd party can consider kenko or another one called something pro one.

Chief,
    one more qn: wat's" 85mm have more diaphragm blades (8) than the 50mm f/1.8 II (5)" wat's diaphram blade thing?

The aperture is controlled by a number of diaphragm blades that close on command from the camera before the shutter opens.

Check this link ...http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-overview.html

The 50 1.8 having only 5 blades shows OOF highlihts as pentagons, the more blades in the aperture the 'rounder' the highlights and usually the nicer the bokeh (although there are other factors affecting this as well).

Both the 50 (1.8 or better still the 1.4) and the 85 1.8 are very good portrait lenses. On a 1.6x crop the 85 tends to be a little long for indoor use for anything more then H&S portraits.

i saw on another thread that 50mm cannot be used on Canon 350D, anyone to confirm?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=181264

The FL series of lenses is two generations old. After the FL there was the FD and then the current EF. The 50 that is being referred to by me and other in this thread is the EF 50 f/1.8 (there are two versions of this, but the Mk I is quite rare).

Here is the EF MkI version

The main differences of the MkII is that it has plastic mount instead of metal and no distance guage...

Forgot to mention that I don't believe there are adaptors available for mounting FL lenses on an EF mount. There are adaptors for the FD range, but these are all manual lenses and don't provide proper TTL metering (I think).

85/1.8 is good, very good in fact, for someone with a low budget. Highly recommended. If you've got an unlimited budget, may I recommend the 135/2L or the 85/1.2L
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    85/1.8 is good, very good in fact, for someone with a low budget. Highly recommended. If you've got an unlimited budget, may I recommend the 135/2L or the 85/1.2L
    Agreed, the 135/2 is a good portrait lens, but the OP stated that he wanted to use it both indoors and outdoors and the 135 wlil be too long, unless there is quite some room between subject and photographer...

The 85/1.2 is legendary, I can't wait to see the comparisons between the 3 85's, 1.2, 1.2USM and 1.8.

Not all L lens are compatible. L series prime lens from 135mm onwards will be compatible, but wide angle L to 85mm L are not.

L series Wide angle zoom to standard zoom also not compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo
    Not all L lens are compatible. L series prime lens from 135mm onwards will be compatible, but wide angle L to 85mm L are not.

L series Wide angle zoom to standard zoom also not compatible.
    Yes u're right.

Chief,
    one more qn: wat's" 85mm have more diaphragm blades (8) than the 50mm f/1.8 II (5)" wat's diaphram blade thing?
    The number of disphragm blades controls your aperture. The more blades means better bokeh as more blades will make the aperture hole more round and this gives excellent bokeh. The 50mm f/1.8 II's 5 diaphragm blades do not produce as gd bokeh as the 85mm f/1.8 cos the aperture hole resembles more like a pentagon so bokeh is not very fantastic, but gd enough.

espn, u got close to 18000 posting!!! im proud of u too man!
    used to be double that amount..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

The number of disphragm blades controls your aperture. The more blades means better bokeh as more blades will make the aperture hole more round and this gives excellent bokeh. The 50mm f/1.8 II's 5 diaphragm blades do not produce as gd bokeh as the 85mm f/1.8 cos the aperture hole resembles more like a pentagon so bokeh is not very fantastic, but gd enough.
    there are the curved blades ones as well. Dunno which lenses have them..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    there are the curved blades ones as well. Dunno which lenses have them..
    Oh yes...i think tamrons have curved blades. Canon ones are straight from what i can see inside my 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    The FL series of lenses is two generations old. After the FL there was the FD and then the current EF. The 50 that is being referred to by me and other in this thread is the EF 50 f/1.8 (there are two versions of this, but the Mk I is quite rare).

Here is the EF MkI version

The main differences of the MkII is that it has plastic mount instead of metal and no distance guage...
    I see sensor dust... and your composition too far...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast