Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What DSLR to get with $2000 budget?

Default Re: What DSLR to get with $2000 budget?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Seeing so many remarks, has anyone seen a huge poster of a shot with a 5mp D1X? A 16Base film scan is only 3000x2000=6mp. So I am sure that 6 mp is enough but more would be better. If you already have investment in Minolta system, then go for the 7D but do bear in mind that KonicaMinolta has sold it's digital camera division to Sony. What is Sony going to do with it is going to be a question mark.

As for Canon and Nikon, either the 350D and D70s would fit your bill. Don't be too bothered by the 8mp or 6mp, if you do a calculation, it is only a 15% increase in linear resolution. Useful but not essential. If you're going to shoot with it, just have to make sure you're comfortable with the handling. If you haven't tried them out, go and try both before making a decision.

If your company do allow you to stretch your budget a little, then you could consider the D200 or 20D.
    bro MTL go do the film vs digital tests! i want to see the results too

We got the same problem... $$$. Was a Nikon turn Canon. If i hv the $$$ and my job justify the need to, i'll go for the D200. unfortunately, my budget only allows for either 350D or D70.
    and since vertical grip is v important 2 me, i opted for 350D instead. now i've got a nikon film cam which i hardly used n a canon dslr.

if vertical grip is not important 2 u, go 4 the D70s 1st until your job justify a higher budget for D200. gd luck..

Quote Originally Posted by edfck
    We got the same problem... $$$. Was a Nikon turn Canon. If i hv the $$$ and my job justify the need to, i'll go for the D200. unfortunately, my budget only allows for either 350D or D70.
    and since vertical grip is v important 2 me, i opted for 350D instead. now i've got a nikon film cam which i hardly used n a canon dslr.

if vertical grip is not important 2 u, go 4 the D70s 1st until your job justify a higher budget for D200. gd luck..
    At least u've a budget bro, i don't so can't afford any DSLR now...have to work first then save up to get my 5D.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by blimmer
    bro MTL go do the film vs digital tests! i want to see the results too
    Can you spare a drum scanner? If it's scanned by the lab.. dun need to test.. Already tested and proven a digital 6mp looks better than a 16base scan. I have been blowing prints from 35mm negatives up to 20"x24" for more than 5 years and had to stopped about 5 years ago because of a leak in the toilet which is dripping where the enlarger was, so I know how the grain was like on film. In fact, we use the grain to focus the enlarger lens. Anyway, a drum scanner can give a smoother output because using a spot of beam to scan, the signal becomes analog and then digitized, this way it automatically becomes a low pass filter and the resolution is determined by the focus of the spot size. So, if there is a grain, there is a grain, the higher resolution you go, the more distinct the grain. Some people are able to obtain a very smooth tones with drum scanner. You can compare the effect to viewing an image on a CRT compared to a LCD. The scanning itself has an inherent smoothing effect.

Here are some 100% crops from a 4base scan of film and from D100 which is known to be more noisy than the newer DSLRs, taken about the same time, but please be objective and don't evaluate the sharpness because the D100 is not using a sharp lens, plus I'm cropping out the regions where you get the worst grains/noise for both cases.

For the first set, I picked out out of focus regions where the smooth tones will clearly show the grains and noise. Yes, the digital one is totally out of focus in this set.

For the second set, the subject is the same person but not in the same venue. Also, the focus is not on the subject in the case of the digital.

Film 4base scan. You can even notice the grain on a 100% crop of a 4base scan, what advantage will a 16base scan give you?

D100 6mp 100% crop

Skin tones
    Film 4base scan 100% crop

D100 6mp 100% crop

At this point, if you want to argue that it's not a fair test because the D100 is a 6mp and the film is only scanned at 4Base, in fact, if the 6mp is interpolated down to 3mp to match the resolution of the 4Base scan, it will be much cleaner than the film.

As for the film, even if you scan it at 16Base, the grains will be even much more prominent, even when you interpolate down, you will not get an advantage.

Also, look at the tone gradations. You can see that on a digital it has a much smoother transition, the film one transits in stages because of dithering. As for noise, yes, digital has noise, but the granularity is much finer than grains of film.

Having said that, the use of professional film may improve the tonal gradation but there is only so much you can improve.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 3rd March 2006 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks for all your recommendations. I hope the company will consider my suggestion to get a true-blue DSLR and not a prosumer digicam.

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    Thanks for all your recommendations. I hope the company will consider my suggestion to get a true-blue DSLR and not a prosumer digicam.
    DSLR, no doubt about it!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Wah say vivien, is tat yr photo? i think u should b a model , make 3k n go for the D200

Does the camera has to be new? at used 20D is below $2K.

Wah say vivien, is tat yr photo? i think u should b a model , make 3k n go for the D200
    That was me 20 years ago lah. Now fat and haggard liao, how to be model?

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Does the camera has to be new? at used 20D is below $2K.
    Gotta be brand new. If not, very difficult to justify to management.

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    That was me 20 years ago lah. Now fat and haggard liao, how to be model?
    oh u mean huggable n adorable? aiyah, no matter how u look, a sucessful photograph will bring out the inner beauti.

oh u mean huggable n adorable? aiyah, no matter how u look, a sucessful photograph will bring out the inner beauti.

Smile Re: What DSLR to get with $2000 budget?

Hi there... Sorry I'm quite new here so I was wondering if let's say I'm getting a D70s or a D200 based on a budget like that or slightly more, what are the things I should look out for before I purchase the DSLR?

Wah... D70s n D200 is a difference of over 1k leh. And tats quite alot. u can get a almost
    decent complete set on a D70 (2 lens, n maybe a cheap flash) wif the price of a D200. It
    really depends on yr application and whether its justifiable for a more exp Dslr. if ya doing
    this 4 a living, performance is important. but don't just look at the max MP n more exp
    doesn't necessory means better. I can't specifically say wat to look out for cause different
    ppl will tell u different things and u might end up being confuse n bk 2 square 1
    my advise 2 u is.. 1st find out wat ya looking4 by asking yrself..

1) Budget- how much ya willing 2 spend? n whether if its justifiable?
    2) Wat type of photography interest u? this will determine on the type of lens or accessories ya might b interested in.

And then try to match the cam closest to yr requirement. 1 last thing, v important... if ya
    gonna get a SLR or DSLR... make sure u go all the way and unleash its fullest potential.
    Experiment different techniques using different lens n settings, n u can do wonders with it.
    alot of ppl buy dslr n shoot using auto function n learn nothing at the end of the day.
    remember, u control the cam, u tell the cam wat u want n not the other way round. if ya
    just gonna take ordinary pics.. ya dslr is gonna end up becoming a white elephant u cant get rid of....
    as such, u might just wana stick 2 PNS.

if u need tech specs n previews, checkout http://dpreview.com
    gd luck...

Hi edfck,

Thanks for your advice, actually I'm still relatively new in this though. My current camera is the Asahi Pentax SV which is a great camera but it sort of broke down on me so I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSLR and actually I'm not very sure of the features which I will use cause I'm more into photography for a hobby and area of interests are sceneries and people and places. Not so much for commercial use. So actually I'm still not sure whether to get D70 or D200. Moreover, I don't know what to look out for when buying like for D200, there's some firmware issue right, which is better if I wait for the later batch or something?

I'm very grateful for your advice and thank you very much.

Wah... D70s n D200 is a difference of over 1k leh. And tats quite alot. u can get a almost
    decent complete set on a D70 (2 lens, n maybe a cheap flash) wif the price of a D200. It
    really depends on yr application and whether its justifiable for a more exp Dslr. if ya doing
    this 4 a living, performance is important. but don't just look at the max MP n more exp
    doesn't necessory means better. I can't specifically say wat to look out for cause different
    ppl will tell u different things and u might end up being confuse n bk 2 square 1
    my advise 2 u is.. 1st find out wat ya looking4 by asking yrself..

1) Budget- how much ya willing 2 spend? n whether if its justifiable?
    2) Wat type of photography interest u? this will determine on the type of lens or accessories ya might b interested in.

And then try to match the cam closest to yr requirement. 1 last thing, v important... if ya
    gonna get a SLR or DSLR... make sure u go all the way and unleash its fullest potential.
    Experiment different techniques using different lens n settings, n u can do wonders with it.
    alot of ppl buy dslr n shoot using auto function n learn nothing at the end of the day.
    remember, u control the cam, u tell the cam wat u want n not the other way round. if ya
    just gonna take ordinary pics.. ya dslr is gonna end up becoming a white elephant u cant get rid of....
    as such, u might just wana stick 2 PNS.

if u need tech specs n previews, checkout http://dpreview.com
    gd luck...

Hi, just wondering why nobody suggests a D50 coupled with a decent lens?
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    Hi, just wondering why nobody suggests a D50 coupled with a decent lens?
    Because the price difference for D50 and D70s is not that much.

I'd rather pay more for a D70s than a D50.

Hi Vivien!

Long time no see, hope you are fine. BTW you still have your KM film bodies and lenses rite? Have you ever considered 5D/7D? If you are looking for other brands of DSLR, I think Canon 20D would fit the bill. Its currently new price is ard $2.3k, very close to 2k, and 8 MPix, can blow up to fairly large prints, and also very good noise control.

If your budget is higher (closer to 3k), D200 is also worth considering, an excellent all rounder DSLR and one of the best in market rite now (for non pro DSLR class)

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Because the price difference for D50 and D70s is not that much.
    I am quite interested in your previous post .... wat lens were you using when you use the D100 camera and what lens were you using when you use the films. What ISO were you using at both times? While films produce grains, digital produces noise .......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast