View Poll Results: How wiling do you share your photography knowledge?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am willing to share and impact everything I learnt.

63 53.39%
  • I am willing to share my knowledge even to competitors/rivals.

24 20.34%
  • Willing to share some knowledge but there are some skills/knowledge that I dun share with people.

31 26.27%
  • Willing to share only if he is not rivals

10 8.47%
  • No. I don't share with others what I know.

9 7.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How willingly do you share your photography knowledge?

Default Re: How willing do you share your photography knowledge?

Well... It depends on whether that person is an angel or *******.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    can we add, will share if the person requesting knowledge is pleasant and ask nicely? I would help most nice people out with anything i know, but if their rude about it then they wont be getting s**t from me!
    totally...

then again, i dun know much too...

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Well... It depends on whether that person is an angel or *******.
    What if the person IS an asshole but u can't afford to offend him for ur work & bonus depends on him?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

very much willing to share.
    as i learned and still learning even from a rival brand users.
    a knowledge learned cannot be unlearned. share it to gain more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    What if the person IS an asshole but u can't afford to offend him for ur work & bonus depends on him?
    Mmm.... sounds really familiar to me. Oh, that ******* is the person I called "my boss".
    It seems like each time I change my job, the ******* becomes bigger.
    Last edited by photobum; 3rd March 2006 at 09:26 PM.

I will more than gladly share.. But...

I have only limited knowledge too.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    It seems like each time I change my job, the ******* becomes bigger.

You make the *******s bigger?

Sorry, can't help it!

I'm willing to share.......just ask!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I just encountered this small issue with someone I shot with (was in big group).

This group has more than 10 people, each with different levels of skills and equipment. Some DSLRs and a few sharing one PnS.

That day I gave advice and suggestions to some of them. I forgot what exactly I said but was like "that scene makes a good subject. Shoot it standing (here and here), angle (this way and that way), makes a nice photo, give it a try". "Over there has some nice things to shoot, I might suggest you shoot there".

Then later I found out someone in the group said I was showing off. What do I have to show off? I'm a hobby photographer myself, learning from other people everyday.

If you know something and you don't teach others, people might think you are proud.
    If you know something and you start advising and giving suggestion to others, people might think you're showing off.

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    I just encountered this small issue with someone I shot with (was in big group).

This group has more than 10 people, each with different levels of skills and equipment. Some DSLRs and a few sharing one PnS.

That day I gave advice and suggestions to some of them. I forgot what exactly I said but was like "that scene makes a good subject. Shoot it standing (here and here), angle (this way and that way), makes a nice photo, give it a try". "Over there has some nice things to shoot, I might suggest you shoot there".

Then later I found out someone in the group said I was showing off. What do I have to show off? I'm a hobby photographer myself, learning from other people everyday.

If you know something and you don't teach others, people might think you are proud.
    If you know something and you start advising and giving suggestion to others, people might think you're showing off.

Sigh...
    want to share then no need to bother about what others say, they don't appreciate that's their own problem, doesn't make your life worse or better. you're not answerable to them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    I'm willing to share.......just ask!
    teach me ... erm, i mean us, how to see the way you see!

I am most willing to teach and advise people up to the level I know, not that I am a good photographer myself. I'm willing to share my own ideas and concepts, not that it's fully agreeable by everyone. Even those that I had learned through my own trial-and-error I do tell others.

I learned photography from others. Had blasted some people with my newbie questions when I just started. Now more confident with my skills, I am most willing to teach others.

Shooting in groups to me is a great chance to share techniques and concepts and also a great opportunity to meet new people.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post

Sigh...
    Hai...same thing everywhere. I face similar problems but it is due to work.

By the way, there are also alot who only share equipment knowledges yet not posting example photos
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

well....if u dun mind learning the wrong thing....hahahaha

I share everything I know. But sometimes I am so generous that I also share things I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    well....if u dun mind learning the wrong thing....hahahaha
    Photography skills is relatively technical, if its wrong, it is wrong. Just like 1+1 don't make 3. U can't say f/5.6, 1/60 works well under all situations, lightings and is guaranteed to give perfect exposure. Technical mistakes are pretty glaring and easily spotted and rectified.

But it also depends. If a person insists on such, like I know some people simply shoot in shutter priority regardless of focal length, dead set to 1/60 and completely ignores the subject of depth of field & flash photography in Creative Photography, we can't force them to learn otherwise either.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I share everything I know. But sometimes I am so generous that I also share things I don't know.
    Is it possible to share things you do not know?

Can you give away things which you do not have?

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Is it possible to share things you do not know?

Can you give away things which you do not have?
    I'll reply you later. I am going out now to spend the money I don't have.

I will share everything, but if that guy teach 2 times also dun get it, den there won't be a third time...

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    Hai...same thing everywhere. I face similar problems but it is due to work.

By the way, there are also alot who only share equipment knowledges yet not posting example photos
    Any chance of the person being here and reading this I just want to say something. The outing happened a week ago in the city area.

I'm not showing off in any way. Just want to share knowledge with others. I know I'm not a good photographer, but everyone can share their knowledge. Learning from each other might be the best way to learn. I might not be good in the eyes of others, but I will still continue to advice and give suggestions to others in photography. I'm pretty much a friendly person and will most willingly give advice to the best of my knowledge if people ask. If they look 'lost' or even if they do not ask, I will still share my knowledge. Although not really the technical parts, but the artistic part, especially when some scenes only appear for few seconds.

I might not be the best in the group, but I still will continue to advise, not because of 'fame' or 'show off' or 'pride' but I want others to learn the art too.

I had been to the place more than 6 times and know the place rather well and I am constantly suggesting places to go in the immediate area, like from the alley to the main road because I know there's something interesting to capture. I'm making my intentions clear when I advise people. Not for personal or egoistic gains but for the gain of others. I've got nothing to show off, I know you're more experienced than me.

I'm not angry, but shocked and sad to hear such comments when I'm doing it for the outing members.

Hope to shoot with the group again in the future. Will take note of the other forum.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast