Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: compact cam with manual controls

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default compact cam with manual controls

    I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

    My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by isomers007
    I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

    My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?
    If you don't mind the size, the S2 IS or new S3 IS will be the best choice.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    If you don't mind the size, the S2 IS or new S3 IS will be the best choice.
    would love too..but i'm looking at the likes of canon A series. the brand is not the utmost importance.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Ricoh GR digital

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by isomers007
    would love too..but i'm looking at the likes of canon A series. the brand is not the utmost importance.
    Both are same brand. The S series are just a 'beefed up' version of the A series.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Both are same brand. The S series are just a 'beefed up' version of the A series.
    oops..wat i meant was similar size like the A series

    ndroo...checked the reviews..and it IS impressive but it has no optical zoom. but i don't use that much zoom either with my previous cams. haha...how much is it currently? thx.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by isomers007
    oops..wat i meant was similar size like the A series

    ndroo...checked the reviews..and it IS impressive but it has no optical zoom. but i don't use that much zoom either with my previous cams. haha...how much is it currently? thx.
    Oic...then in that case, just get the A series...current latest is A700 but price not sure yet.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    or you want to consider about FZ5 since it is a compact camera smaller and lighter than S2.
    12X optical zoom with OIS and some manual controls but don't expect too much from its OIS (seriously not what you see on TV advertisement).
    hope your not a night photography person cause you may not like the noise above ISO 200.

  9. #9

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    I think with your budget, alot of choices.
    I didn't think the A620 is "compact", but if you're fine with it, I think its one of the top choices!

    Quote Originally Posted by isomers007
    I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

    My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Current latest to consider: Canon A700 and Panasonic's FZ-7. You may want to check them out at the IT show from next thursday to sunday.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Current latest to consider: Canon A700 and Panasonic's FZ-7. You may want to check them out at the IT show from next thursday to sunday.
    checked de a700...almost the same as a620...but with no swivel lens. somehow the panasonic cams reviewed produce noisy images after iso200?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by isomers007
    checked de a700...almost the same as a620...but with no swivel lens. somehow the panasonic cams reviewed produce noisy images after iso200?
    U mean swivel LCD?

    Some cams do produce a fair amount of noise after ISO200 but must check if the cams got a noise reduction (NR) function to cure this problem.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Canon A series is a good choise.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    U mean swivel LCD?

    Some cams do produce a fair amount of noise after ISO200 but must check if the cams got a noise reduction (NR) function to cure this problem.

    haha..yah...swivel LCD...*swivel lens would be very funny though*

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Canon A series is a good choise.
    Yes...gd functions for its pricing.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    I think with your budget, alot of choices.
    I didn't think the A620 is "compact", but if you're fine with it, I think its one of the top choices!
    you're rite there. i just took a look at it just now and it sure doesn't look compact to be put inside my small bag. any smaller cameras with the same features? would love wideangle too but after researching, not much digicams which offer wideangle options..

  17. #17

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    why no one point out olympus? haha was looking at one sp310 or something, got manual controls, and small enough to slot into pocket.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Just thought to put in a word about noise: in general, whenever you're dealing with compact or prosumer cameras, it's unlikely that you'll be using a high ISO and trying to shoot handheld (which can be easily done with DSLRs with little image destruction by noise), but will shoot from a sturdy tripod or some other stable surface. And when that happens, there's no camera shake to worry about. In such cases a longer exposure might yield some surreal blur effects as well, so it's a plus.

    For night photography, it might be good to shoot at the lowest ISO possible, and stop down to around f/8 for more depth of field and overall sharpness. Beyond that the images produced might actually be of a lower quality, because even though DOF is increased, diffraction within the lens will result in a softer picture.

    If I am not mistaken, Fuji is going to be selling the F30 soon, which handles noise quite well even at ISO 1600, just like it's predecessors, the F10 and F11. In addition to that I suspect it also has a real manual mode.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adam Rd, Singapore
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    Lumix LX-1 try to search for the image reference in this forum... really good cam... and with a good lense...

  20. #20

    Default Re: compact cam with manual controls

    If you want full manual controls, then try the Finepix E900. with astonishing detail from 9 megapixels and good high iso capabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •