Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fungus in lens.. what to do?

Default Fungus in lens.. what to do?

just bought a 2nd hand 24-120 nikkor ... had the bad luck of buying lens with slight fungal infection in it... what should i do?

1) sell it....
    2) cont to use it

for option 2... should i separate the lens from my other ones? will it "spread" the "disease" to the others? Should i send it to TCW to clean it? roughly how much will it cost?

really a bit sianz about this... but... would like to seek some opinions... some frens have told me to just use it as a casual travel lens... then can bochup it a little... but i was thinking whether it'll affect my other lenses... and whether i should just clean it up...

Default Re: fungus in lens.. what to do?

To be honest, if you sell it, wouldn't you be a bit unethical?

Best choice is to clean it. Wouldn't cost too much...
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    just bought a 2nd hand 24-120 nikkor ... had the bad luck of buying lens with slight fungal infection in it...

Just curious... were you made aware of the fungus before you made your purchase?

Throw it away...
    Send for cleaning lor...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

just bought a 2nd hand 24-120 nikkor ... had the bad luck of buying lens with slight fungal infection in it... what should i do?

1) sell it....
    2) cont to use it

for option 2... should i separate the lens from my other ones? will it "spread" the "disease" to the others? Should i send it to TCW to clean it? roughly how much will it cost?

really a bit sianz about this... but... would like to seek some opinions... some frens have told me to just use it as a casual travel lens... then can bochup it a little... but i was thinking whether it'll affect my other lenses... and whether i should just clean it up...
    If this lens is so worth it to u, send it for cleaning but of cos best is to send it back to nikon.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

erm... yah... cleaning is fine... but how much would it cost me? coz i only paid $300 for the lens... and now seller offer to refund $50... so it's $250 only... will that $50 cover for cleaning costs? say not NSC... but TCW? how much will it cost me? cheers

call them and ask, thats the best way.

last time i sent in a 18-70 to nsc for lens cleaning, it costed me > $50. for your gauge, if i remember correctly, it is $84. maybe different lens got different lens cleaning price. pls ask nsc.

called up both NSC and TCW... TCW $75... NSC... $185... ouch... yah... guess i'll go with TCW since it's not worth spending that much $ on that lens.. hehe thanks guys..

does it show in pics?

if it doesnt, dont bother

just sent off my first roll of velvia... but will probably test in my D70 to see how....

If it doesn't show on your pics, just leave it alone. Just remember to keep the lens in the dri cabi when not in use, or the infection will continue to spread throughout the entire camera.
    I don't think you have to worry about the fungus spreading from one lens to another. there are more fungus spores floating in the air than can be found on you lens.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    does it show in pics?

if it doesnt, dont bother
    But of cos if you want the best for your lens, clearing it is better but at a fee.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

1) sell it....
    2) cont to use it

When did you purchase it?

And from whom / where, may I ask...

If I was in yor position, and had jsut got the lense recently, I'd definately demand a return of my $$

IMO
    The seller should be ethical enought to refund full... its his fault not to state that there is fungus in the lens.

If you going to keep it, better use UV to kill off the fungus. Even if you leave in drybox, there is still a chance for it to grow when you are using it when shooting.

If you killed the fungus & it stops growing & does not affect the pics... its still ok. But OUCH... you bought it at the price of a lens without fungus
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    If it doesn't show on your pics, just leave it alone. Just remember to keep the lens in the dri cabi when not in use, or the infection will continue to spread throughout the entire camera.
    I don't think you have to worry about the fungus spreading from one lens to another. there are more fungus spores floating in the air than can be found on you lens.
    Just got my digi-cabi from the IT Show yesterday, so off goes my cams from the dry box into the cabinet. With regards to "fungus spreading", is it OK to keep in the same cabinet items which have been kept in the open air, eg. DV tapes, Negatives, old cameras (some with fungus already!), ...

Thanks for your comments.

will the fungus spread to the CMOS or CCD sensor if it is still alwaes attacched to the cam body?

It is very possible that fungus can spread through all equipment in a cabinet even if they aren't attached to each other. I think there's plenty of spores in the environment anyway...the very act of taking our camera outdoors is already a risk, but that's exactly what the camera was designed to do! Storage under lower humidity is said to slow the growth though, hopefully to negligible levels.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    It is very possible that fungus can spread through all equipment in a cabinet even if they aren't attached to each other. I think there's plenty of spores in the environment anyway...the very act of taking our camera outdoors is already a risk, but that's exactly what the camera was designed to do! Storage under lower humidity is said to slow the growth though, hopefully to negligible levels.
    Correct...spores do fly around in air and will rest on any surface.

sorry OT abit...how u guys see if there is fungus on lens/ body? i mean....how it appear to be like? can someone take a pic of it n post it?
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast