Thread: Warning, Lenspen may grin your multicoating away.

Default Warning, Lenspen may grin your multicoating away.

I have a forum that have been commenting that lenspen when using long term actually 'grins' your multicoating away..

the black powder is actually graphite. then there have been users repoting that some of their lens, 4-6 years old have their front element patches of multicoating disappearing.

Default Re: Warning, Lenspen may grin your multicoating away.

lucky i only use it to clean my filters... i never clean my front element, cos its always protected by the filters.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

good lor... then the lenses can take UV photos liao.. O_O""
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    I have a forum that have been commenting that lenspen when using long term actually 'grins' your multicoating away..

the black powder is actually graphite. then there have been users repoting that some of their lens, 4-6 years old have their front element patches of multicoating disappearing.
    graphite? woah.. serious stuff.. how did they package graphite to be rubbery?

don't mind if you share your source for the more chemical/materials expert to verify?
    it's very worrying..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Can we have some links?

No point speculating it grinds away the coating on lenses / filters.

act i read somewhere that any form of cleaning will degrade ya coating over time...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    act i read somewhere that any form of cleaning will degrade ya coating over time...
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    This is true. It is better to have a filter on your lens from the very moment you buy your lens. It is cheaper to replce the filters than the lens.

i have b+w filter on my lens and i use the lenspen to clean the filter. the lenspen has been used for quite some time and the the multi coating on the filter seems to be scatched by the lenspen and there were marks all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by nature
    i have b+w filter on my lens and i use the lenspen to clean the filter. the lenspen has been used for quite some time and the the multi coating on the filter seems to be scatched by the lenspen and there were marks all over it.
    notice that too...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I have never use a lens pen to clean my lens or filter. I believe in using the softest, lint free material to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    This is true. It is better to have a filter on your lens from the very moment you buy your lens. It is cheaper to replce the filters than the lens.
    ya.. tat day i lend a fren 1 lens, den i see him clean his lens, shocking man... i told him dun clean my lens... hehehehe...

its not necessary to clean lens everytime u use it, just give it a blowjob will do... and with UV filter, dun even need to clean the front element.. just the UV filter if kena finger print or stain.

Hmm ... if the lenspen in the first use(s) ... contaminated. Then it'll forever be contaminated. Hence scratching of the filter/coating

So far no issues, keep mine very clean and blow it with a blower everytime before use to get rid of dirt/grime that may be stuck to it. I only use it to remove finger prints.