Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lens to start for newbie

Default Re: lens to start for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lain
    heeh what does DG Marco stands for?? for a 70-300mm is the zoom part right? with DG Macro does it mean it has digital marco? sorry just trying to understand it better sorry if its a stupid Q. heheeh

I saw another lens with DC behind it.. the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC what is DC in this case? D for digital? c??

what does it mean?
    DG (DG Lens)
    These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.

DC (DC Lens)
    These are special lenses designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of the image sensor of most digital SLR cameras. Their specialized design gives these lenses the ideal properties for digital cameras, the compact and lightweight construction is an added bonus ! including compact and lightweight construction.

70-300mm is the zoom range.
    Hope these info helps. Correct me if any wrong info spotted.

Well technically if he is intending to get a DSLR, most likely he'll still have to contend with the cropping factor, not sure what it is now.. around x1.6 i think for most Canon models (not sure with the more recent models, all I'm sure of are the older ones, 10D and below).. which would make the 50mm prime an 80mm one. (this makes it somewhat abit too telephoto for most shooting applications)

For those not aware, New focal length = Lens focal length x Cropping Factor
    = 50mm x 1.6
    = 80mm

I brought this up as some of you has mentioned that the 50mm is the closest focal range to human sight, which is still correct, but only for film or full-framed sensor DSLRs..

However, it is still a great lens to shoot with as I personally own one, good sharpness and contrast, with a big aperture for low-light situations. Just have to take not of the cropping factor when attaching the lens to a DSLR.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk
    Well technically if he is intending to get a DSLR, most likely he'll still have to contend with the cropping factor, not sure what it is now.. around x1.6 i think for most Canon models (not sure with the more recent models, all I'm sure of are the older ones, 10D and below).. which would make the 50mm prime an 80mm one. (this makes it somewhat abit too telephoto for most shooting applications)

For those not aware, New focal length = Lens focal length x Cropping Factor
    = 50mm x 1.6
    = 80mm

I brought this up as some of you has mentioned that the 50mm is the closest focal range to human sight, which is still correct, but only for film or full-framed sensor DSLRs..

However, it is still a great lens to shoot with as I personally own one, good sharpness and contrast, with a big aperture for low-light situations. Just have to take not of the cropping factor when attaching the lens to a DSLR.
    Yes...the 50mm lens on a 1.6x DSLR would become close to a portrait lens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

You may try the Tamron 18-200 F/3.5-6.3 for 1.6x DSLR or the 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 fpr FF camera. Good walk around travel lens. Come with closeup/macro function...
    For fix lens 50mm F/1.8 will be a good choice...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

i would advise getting a 35mm instead of the 50mm. 50mm becomes 80mm for 1.6crop camera which is not a normal lens anymore. the 50mm was my favourite lens during slr days but in this dslr age its not so useful anymore. i sold it and may get a 35mm later.
    http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com
    http://canoncameralover.blogspot.com

So to avoid all these confusion about focal lengths, buy a FF DSLR or stick with film SLR like me cos there's no FOV crop.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    The 50mm is a normal lens close to the FOV of human eyes, so how can u say it's tele?
    human eye has almost 160deg. i walk around with 12-24. i change to [not wide enough] ok?

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    human eye has almost 160deg. i walk around with 12-24. i change to [not wide enough] ok?
    Correct, but the 50mm is indeed closest to the focal length of the human eyes. As Canon's website also states as a standard lens, 'what you see is what you get'.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    50/1.8 is kinda too tele for [general purpose] but for ur budget its the best bang for buck
    Was talking to my friend abt using a 50mm/1.8 prime for beginners, sounds like a good choice?
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

Blog Entries

the kit lens should be a useful lens for a newbie
    an all-in-one solution, so to say

then upgrade from there,
    once you know what you want to shoot
    and how you want to shoot it

i'd say the kit lens is the best buy for newbies. decent range. i started out with a 28-80mm on my F50 many years ago. for general purpose, i guess that range works well. the kit lens on the DSLR should work out to about the same range.

You get a wide plus some zoom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12