Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need to learn from experts

Default Re: Need to learn from experts

hi, i'm not an expert, but i've been reading about and playing with these filters recently, so here are two links that may be useful to you:

http://www.singh-ray.com/shawarticle.html
    http://www.singh-ray.com/srgnd2.html

the easiest place to get these filters would be cathay photo. they only sell cokin and lee ones. the lee filters are very expensive, and you may want to just start out with 1 or 2 cokins to try out.

get the cokin P system, not the smaller A system. the holder costs between $10-20, can't remember exact price. there's a wide-angle version too. the adapter rings (you need to get one that fits your lens filter thread) cost around $16, and the filters cost around $28 each. some people find the holder too troublesome, and just hand-hold the filters in front of the lens.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~
    basically joho has answered your question, this will happen whenever the you have objects that are too contrasting (shooting a person with a backlit sun e.g.), if you are using digital,

and you really want to have proper exposure for your foreground n background, like what joho mentioned, use a tripod, take 2 exact shots of the same composition 1 meter for the sky and 1 meter for the foreground (your trees), merge them together in photoshop ba.
    oh...as in use layers to merge them both...
    so correct me if i am wrong...
    in PS... one layer must be on top of the other....and the one on top must be translucent?
    am i right so far? =)

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    To richliow,

You can use interesting foreground subject as silhouette to make the composition nicer.

But if you want foreground subject to stay within the exposure range, try to shoot from a angle which the sun behind you, means everything front lit.

If you have a PL filter, to get the max effect from the filter, the sun should be on your left or right, of course you also need to rotate the PL filter to get the max effect.

Another way will work is to use ND graduated filters.

JOho and student explain all regarding dynamic range or contrast range, for landscape some time the range can be exceed 5~6 stops, mid point exposure will not work at all.

Hope this help.
    i think all here are helpful =) including you

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    hi, i'm not an expert, but i've been reading about and playing with these filters recently, so here are two links that may be useful to you:

http://www.singh-ray.com/shawarticle.html
    http://www.singh-ray.com/srgnd2.html

the easiest place to get these filters would be cathay photo. they only sell cokin and lee ones. the lee filters are very expensive, and you may want to just start out with 1 or 2 cokins to try out.

get the cokin P system, not the smaller A system. the holder costs between $10-20, can't remember exact price. there's a wide-angle version too. the adapter rings (you need to get one that fits your lens filter thread) cost around $16, and the filters cost around $28 each. some people find the holder too troublesome, and just hand-hold the filters in front of the lens.
    hey..thanks for the info and links..
    you are appreciated very much like Joho and the rest =)

sorree bro.. no idea how much a ND grad is... i don't have/use one!

Quote Originally Posted by richliow
    oh...as in use layers to merge them both...
    so correct me if i am wrong...
    in PS... one layer must be on top of the other....and the one on top must be translucent?
    am i right so far? =)
    you might need to use a tripod to take the pics first, cos handheld the frames might not be 'exactly' the same and thats gonna make merging them hard in PS later on.

anyway, to merge them in PS, there are more than one methods, usually i just place them both one on top of the other, and use the erasure tool to erasure away the parts that i want to bring out (e.g bring out the correctly exposed areas like the sky etc).

i'm too sure what u meant by the one on top must be translucent... sorry..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123