Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Need to learn from experts

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,737

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Alright, my teacher told me when I was a student, avoid the "high contrast", find a shape, find a cover, use a reflector, etc etc, just to avoid the "high contrast".

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,288

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i dun think u are answering his question at all.

    sorree dun mean to gun u down, but this isn't a question of settings, modes, or tripods. don't want pple to get the wrong info.

    this is a question of dynamic range, and it happens whether it's prosumer, consumer, pro, or just off the shelf hair spray (ok maybe not the hairspray part!!)

    basically if u expose for the higlights (sky) u will underexpose the shadows (trees). expose for the trees, and u over expose the sky.

    few things to do: choose ONE to expose for, becos shooting in the middle of both just won't work in most cases.

    another way is to use filters. ND graduated filters are like "half sunglasses" one half clear, the other half darken, so obviously, you turn the filter that's dark to the sky, and that's clear, to the trees.

    another way is to take two of the exact same shots one meter the sky, one meter the trees and put them together in post processing.

    good luck.
    This is the best advise so far.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Alright, my teacher told me when I was a student, avoid the "high contrast", find a shape, find a cover, use a reflector, etc etc, just to avoid the "high contrast".
    What I learnt from photography. Be patient. The most beautiful shots are always those shot after waiting patiently for the right moment.

    Ok, I'll have to admit that I'm more trigger happy after switching to digital, but still I find the best shots are those which I know the moment is right. But it also means that I now get more shots of the better moments because I no longer control my shots as much as I do for film.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Yes, yes, like some self-claimed "expert" landscape photographer who dished out wrong information, and who also dished out advice after a few sessions of studio photographing people.
    Unlike some pathetic 'expert' here who always 'ge kiang'. Once a loser, always a loser.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    There was an old rule of thumb. "Shoot with the sun about 45 degrees behind you".
    Yes i've heard of that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Seems like u're using a point and shoot or a prosumer cam...

    U can use the auto mode for a start, but in terms of prosumer cams and DSLRs, you can use the aperture priority mode to set the shutter speed for you. Use a tripod too but best if can use f/16 for sky shoots.
    oh... i forgot about aperture priority.. i am using D70s. let me go try tomorrow

  7. #27

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    either use an NDGrad filter or the shortcut method. Double exposure and photomerge. Use a tripod
    what you wrote is very chim to me the novice.... double exposure and photomerge? how to do that on a camera?

  8. #28
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by richliow
    oh... i forgot about aperture priority.. i am using D70s. let me go try tomorrow
    Don't think aperture priority will help you on this.

  9. #29
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by richliow
    what you wrote is very chim to me the novice.... double exposure and photomerge? how to do that on a camera?
    D70 can't do double exposure....

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by richliow
    oh... i forgot about aperture priority.. i am using D70s. let me go try tomorrow
    Gd luck!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i dun think u are answering his question at all.

    sorree dun mean to gun u down, but this isn't a question of settings, modes, or tripods. don't want pple to get the wrong info.

    this is a question of dynamic range, and it happens whether it's prosumer, consumer, pro, or just off the shelf hair spray (ok maybe not the hairspray part!!)

    basically if u expose for the higlights (sky) u will underexpose the shadows (trees). expose for the trees, and u over expose the sky.

    few things to do: choose ONE to expose for, becos shooting in the middle of both just won't work in most cases.

    another way is to use filters. ND graduated filters are like "half sunglasses" one half clear, the other half darken, so obviously, you turn the filter that's dark to the sky, and that's clear, to the trees.

    another way is to take two of the exact same shots one meter the sky, one meter the trees and put them together in post processing.

    good luck.
    Wow, thanks for the explanation..how much is a ND filter?

  12. #32
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Not an expert but how about bracketing the shot and then post process to merge the correctly exposed sky and foreground?
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

  13. #33

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    Not an expert but how about bracketing the shot and then post process to merge the correctly exposed sky and foreground?

    That was what jOhO said.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Unlike some pathetic 'expert' here who always 'ge kiang'. Once a loser, always a loser.

    Some people have "depth of knowledge" as "deep" as the miserable puddle left over from an inconsequential drizzle.

    I think psychotics have more insight than these types.

  15. #35
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,925

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Some people have "depth of knowledge" as "deep" as the miserable puddle left over from an inconsequential drizzle.

    I think psychotics have more insight than these types.
    Wait doc, you ain't talking about me, ya?

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Some people have "depth of knowledge" as "deep" as the miserable puddle left over from an inconsequential drizzle.

    I think psychotics have more insight than these types.
    Look, people do make mistakes and each of us are not spared. Earlier on i did admit i made a mistake but unlike some who don't at all. If you think this is very fun then i've something to say to u...

    'Grow up and get a life'

    Sometimes i dunno if u've really got the picture. *tsk tsk*
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    Not an expert but how about bracketing the shot and then post process to merge the correctly exposed sky and foreground?
    Is bracketing and auto bracketing different? Correct me if I am wrong, if we say take 2 shots of the same subject at 2 different stops and merge thats bracketing? Then if we use the autobracketing function on the camera by setting say +1/3 and -1/3 adn merge thats auto? And if the contrast is too large...say a few stops of the aperture then autobracketing wont work as well as the difference in exposure it allows is small?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Wait doc, you ain't talking about me, ya?
    Of course you know whom I am talking about.

    One whom others had also called arrogant and ignorant. See the thread "Infinity" in the Newbies subforum. His error was pointed out not only by me, but by catchlights, ortega, philliptan, poohbear, and AhV.

    And when confronted, comes out with statements something like this "I have been doing this for years. If you do not know what I am talking about....." and then went on the offensive to insult others who tried to point out his wrong. And confront he did, not by challenging on facts, but by being personal.

    Actually, I really don't care a S**T for such types. I had observed the "advices' he spewed out, and frankly I do not know whether to laugh or cry. This is one classic case of "He who know not he knows not, but pretend that he knows a lot" These types are rather dangerous, because they serve to confuse others.

    And I reiterate how I think of such types. I don't care "S**T about them. But I do care if they spew out nonsense, especially to newbies, which can take a long time to correct.

    These are the types that demand others to "grow up" but they are as juvenile in their thinking capacity and behaviour as those spolit brats you see in those who have yet to begin their education in life.
    Last edited by student; 3rd March 2006 at 05:17 PM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    I also dun give a **** about such people, wasting my time only. If you think u're so right then fine. U do it yr way, i do it mine and i only state from experience, believe it or not. I'd rather not waste my time here talking to a wall which always thinks he's right.

    Yes u do have yr points which sometimes i do agree. If u're not happy with me stating my own ways then so be it....too bad for u. Dun wish to talk to people who're so childish, everything also must complain. So what if u're here longer than me but that doesn't give you the right for such attitudes.

    Think u really need to wake up yr idea.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 3rd March 2006 at 05:26 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #40
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: Need to learn from experts

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Is bracketing and auto bracketing different? Correct me if I am wrong, if we say take 2 shots of the same subject at 2 different stops and merge thats bracketing? Then if we use the autobracketing function on the camera by setting say +1/3 and -1/3 adn merge thats auto? And if the contrast is too large...say a few stops of the aperture then autobracketing wont work as well as the difference in exposure it allows is small?
    Bracketing is you make a series of exposures of a same shot with different lighting density, be it different of f-stop, shutter speed or flash intensity. we normally do it this way is uncertain which exposure will be look best on the final image.

    Auto bracketing is a function which modern cameras can do a bracketing exposures automatically for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •