Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Escalators (breakdown)

Default Re: Escalators (breakdown)

The breakdown of escalators don't really bother me. What bothers me is that sometimes I get the feeling our fellow citizens are too lethargic. They get on the escalator and they just stand there, sometimes right in the middle and don't give way. And when you ask them nicely to keep to the left so that you can move up, they will give you that dirty look like you are spoiling their little ride on the escalator.

Honestly, I'm not picky if they stand on the left or the right, they just make up their minds and don't stand right in the centre.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 22nd March 2006 at 05:25 PM.

Talking about escalator, now remind me that the Toa Payoh SMRT's one has been broken down for almost a month.

Last edited by Perry; 22nd March 2006 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    here is one way to complain...
    Haha, the reply is SO unlike the public service! But then again, it's the most effective!

nice reply though!

maybe they ought to stock up more parts in sg. haha.

considering how frequent our escalators are "under maintainence"

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    The breakdown of escalators don't really bother me. What bothers me is that sometimes I get the feeling our fellow citizens are too lethargic. They get on the escalator and they just stand there, sometimes right in the middle and don't give way. And when you ask them nicely to keep to the left so that you can move up, they will give you that dirty look like you are spoiling their little ride on the escalator.

Honestly, I'm not picky if they stand on the left or the right, they just make up their minds and don't stand right in the centre.
    if you on the hurry take the stairs...
    safer than a moving stair....

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Talking about escalator, now remind me that the Toa Payoh SMRT's one has been broken down for almost a month.

yah..lor.. wonder whats the problem... may be they sub-out the maintenace also???

they are saying they dont stock spare parts?...

Quote Originally Posted by iria
    Accidents happen on the stairs too you know. It's just all about being careful yourself.
    What I'm trying to address is that people don't give way.

Anyway, back to the topic, about that escalator at Suntec/Citylink, I think it's because people are always dumping brochures and pamphlets on the escalator and they are clogging up the gears.

People are too spoiled for daily conveniences. SG could make do with less escalators.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    What bothers me is not that there is a shortage of escalators, but how alot of buildings, shopping centres and public buildings are not very handicap friendly.
    Singapore as a whole is not very friendly to pedestrians. Cars take priority almost everywhere. From narrow or non-existent sidewalks to high pedestrian bridges and pedestrian/bicycle ways that end in front of a highway, without a legal (or even safe) way of crossing it. Why do pedestrians have to work around the automotive traffic? Why not the other way round? Do cars count more than humans?

My home city made the same mistake when rebuilding after WW2. They realised it, and starting in the 1960, major roads in the city have been converted to pedestrian malls, and major automotive traffic routes are successively moved underground to save people from the noise, pollution, and give them more gardens instead of concrete/asphalt pavements. Result: increased quality of life, more attractive city centre (also draws tourists!), bicycles as a realistic commuting alternative, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iria
    if you are in citylink and u wanna go suntec, there's no stairs, only a small escalator, not even traffic light; or u could walk a big round via marina.......

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    if you are in citylink and u wanna go suntec, there's no stairs, only a small escalator, not even traffic light; or u could walk a big round via marina.......

Exactly! Sorry for being late but this was (and still is,) the biggest complain area from tourists. There're quite a few areas whereby they don't provide an alternative. It's alrite to walk up (or down) the stairs if they provide one.

Anyway, the STPB has been highlighted on that particular area anf it has been rectified.
    Thanks to all concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12