Thread: Crime Scene and Evidence Photography

Default Crime Scene and Evidence Photography

A good read on how to take photos for crime scene.
    http://www.crime%2Dscene%2Dinvestiga...i%2Dphoto.html

Anyone into this area ?

Default Re: Crime Scene and Evidence Photography

It says server not found.

Under this topic, I would like to share with all.

Few months back I ask the Home Affairs enquires about whether the SPF do employ or engage photographers to take crime scene photographs.

The answer was the police officers from SPF will also double up and a crime scene photographer.

Our system isnt the same as USA or some European Nations whereby their prespective police force engage or employ some commerical photographer (those hardcore ones) to be in their crime scene to take crime scene photography.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011

Few months back I ask the Home Affairs enquires about whether the SPF do employ or engage photographers to take crime scene photographs.

The answer was the police officers from SPF will also double up and a crime scene photographer.

Our system isnt the same as USA or some European Nations whereby their prespective police force engage or employ some commerical photographer (those hardcore ones) to be in their crime scene to take crime scene photography.

Regards
    Here everything bao gao liao one..

corrected link for ocean xp

Actual URL
    "http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi%2Dphoto.html"
    http://www.crime-scene-investigator....i%2Dphoto.html

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011

Regards
    I guess we are fairly conservative here. On the positive side, it is not difficult for SPF officers to double up as photographers. They have the mindset of what a crime scene is like and what to expect to be taken in that area.

I am sure we are still using film format. Not sure if they have switched completely to digital.

If you watched CSI you would realise that these crime scene photographers are seriously trained in taking detailed shots on subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanxp
    I guess we are fairly conservative here. On the positive side, it is not difficult for SPF officers to double up as photographers. They have the mindset of what a crime scene is like and what to expect to be taken in that area.

I am sure we are still using film format. Not sure if they have switched completely to digital.
    I think for digital, authenticity may be an issue and thus debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    I think for digital, authenticity may be an issue and thus debatable.
    film can be manipulated as well but the real issue might be resolution. current digital cameras are limited to 20MP(?) whereas film is currently only limited by the resolution of the scanner used to convert the pics to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by blimmer
    film can be manipulated as well but the real issue might be resolution. current digital cameras are limited to 20MP(?) whereas film is currently only limited by the resolution of the scanner used to convert the pics to digital.
    Yup, that's the rationale. Photographers are supposed to submit negs if they tender such photographic evidence in court. Just for knowledge's sake...

Digi is too manipulable!!

i watch the FBI files on discovery channel every fri 11pm and it's always the police officers as photographers...with manual film cameras...
    eat. drink. shoot

Try blowing a 35mm film up and see if you can achieve a 10mp resolution like a digital camera can. If you've seen a print from 35mm blown up optically and comparing it to a 300dpi print from a 10mp, you will find that the 10mp has more details.

I think printing directly from 35mm film will have more details comparing to a 10mp camera.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Try blowing a 35mm film up and see if you can achieve a 10mp resolution like a digital camera can. If you've seen a print from 35mm blown up optically and comparing it to a 300dpi print from a 10mp, you will find that the 10mp has more details.
    Interesting, I should try it out one of these days. We can run our own independent tests and post our results here. What size print for the 35mm and which brand/model for the 300dpi printer? Do several tests for 5-12MP to ensure the results are consistent

Personally I've always found my SLR pics to be sharper than my digital prints.

Yet another film vs digital debate. This has already discussed many times in various camera forums, notably in dpreview. Digital cameras ARE USED in crime scenes in the US. But the cams are specially modified so that the pictures are tagged and cannot be modified. They CAN be used in court as evidence. In this digital age, why would we want to hamper our law enforcement agencies with archaic technologies like 'FILM'?

As for the resolution debate, I'd refer you to the Michael Reichmann's site, "The Luminous Landscape, where he has done some nice comparos, although now a little dated. Suffice to say, whatever perceived or imagined resolution advantage that film users believe their beloved medium has, is firmly trounced by digital sensors in the grain/noise department. Yes, if you are printing something to hang off the side of a building, film is still unmatched. However, in terms of utiility as a crime scene instrument, the high ISO capability, amenity to enhancements for investigative purposes, must mean that the digital sensor trounces film as the medium of choice.

Personally I've always found my SLR pics to be sharper than my digital prints.
    Are you using the same lenses? Your cameras focus equally accurately? Too many variables to draw such a conclusion when many folk have demonstrated the exact opposite.