Thread: Is there a expiry date for films?

Default Is there a expiry date for films?

Have got 20 rolls of Velvia 100 bought from japan.

have been keeping them in the freezer, hoping to keep the film as long as i can.

Does doing this alter the characteristic and performance of the film?
    And is that a time limit which i shd keep the film, even if kept in the freezer?

I dun wish it to get to waste..

Default Re: Is there a expiry date for films?

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo

have been keeping them in the freezer, hoping to keep the film as long as i can.

And is that a time limit which i shd keep the film, even if kept in the freezer?

yes there's expiry date. usually 1-2 yrs if im not wrong. if u kept them in the box packaging u can see their expiry dates stamped on the sides.

low temp will slow down the degredation of film, allowing to keep beyond expiry date, like putting it into hibernation. allow 1-2 hrs of warm up to room temp before using.

it's still recommended to shoot & dev before they expire unless if u dun mind the slight loss of quality. as above, low temp does not stop degredation, so keep that in mind of how long u intend to leave them in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo

You can keep them in the fridge but not freezer. In the freezer, the plastic will become brittle. In the fridge you can keep about 6 month past the expiry date after which the quality will degrade. For professional films, best to develop before expiry because the emulsion will mature and you will not reap the benefits of the enhanced tonal gradation of professional film.

If you plan to buy so many films, make sure you shoot and process them before the expiration date. Yes, it is true that you can keep them chilled for another 6 months past the expiry date, but my point is to use your films while they are still fresh. Just like you want to eat your fish fresh, after you have just bought it from the market.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    You can keep them in the fridge but not freezer. In the freezer, the plastic will become brittle. In the fridge you can keep about 6 month past the expiry date after which the quality will degrade. For professional films, best to develop before expiry because the emulsion will mature and you will not reap the benefits of the enhanced tonal gradation of professional film.

I hope you didn't think that the film would be used straight from the freezeer.

To the original poster of this thread. The answer to you question "Will keeping the film in the freezer prolong the life of the film?" The answer is YES. Not too sure how long but definitely beyond the expiration date listed on the film.

Just as a precaution, if the film has reached the expiration date, shoot a test roll process it to see if there has been any color shift. If there is a color shift then you know the film has gone bad. The only problem in using dated film is that the colors will shift. I have kept film in the freezer many times, never had a problem with it becoming, as one guy here said, brittle.

And Singapore being quite warm, always keep your film cool while you are out shooting. If you also use polaroids, keep it out of the sun and heat as much as possible.

Just speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    I hope you didn't think that the film would be used straight from the freezeer.

To the original poster of this thread. The answer to you question "Will keeping the film in the freezer prolong the life of the film?" The answer is YES. Not too sure how long but definitely beyond the expiration date listed on the film.

Just as a precaution, if the film has reached the expiration date, shoot a test roll process it to see if there has been any color shift. If there is a color shift then you know the film has gone bad. The only problem in using dated film is that the colors will shift. I have kept film in the freezer many times, never had a problem with it becoming, as one guy here said, brittle.

And Singapore being quite warm, always keep your film cool while you are out shooting. If you also use polaroids, keep it out of the sun and heat as much as possible.

Just speaking from experience.
    Have you encountered the emulsion cracking yet? I have some with crack lines on the emulsion. And you won't know it until you have shot and developed.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    If you plan to buy so many films, make sure you shoot and process them before the expiration date. Yes, it is true that you can keep them chilled for another 6 months past the expiry date, but my point is to use your films while they are still fresh. Just like you want to eat your fish fresh, after you have just bought it from the market.
    Doesn't really matter if it's consumer film but for professional films, it makes a big difference. I have used consumer film 2 years past expiry and they still look ok. For professional film, 6 months past expiry and the colours are already off.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Have you encountered the emulsion cracking yet? I have some with crack lines on the emulsion. And you won't know it until you have shot and developed.
    Never had that problem happen before. The thing is when you pull your film out from the freezer let it sit in the fridge a couple of days before you are going to use it. Then the day before pull it out and let it thaw to room temperature. If you want to be extra anal, you can store the film in a Igloo coolere when you are out and about shooting.

Use to work in Phoenix, Arizona, where the summers are over 34 degress Celcius. That's what I did with my film while I was there. Shot and unshot film was always kept in a cooler.

With regards to you emulsion cracking, how far after taking out the film from the freezer/fridge did you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Never had that problem happen before. The thing is when you pull your film out from the freezer let it sit in the fridge a couple of days before you are going to use it. Then the day before pull it out and let it thaw to room temperature. If you want to be extra anal, you can store the film in a Igloo coolere when you are out and about shooting.

Use to work in Phoenix, Arizona, where the summers are over 34 degress Celcius. That's what I did with my film while I was there. Shot and unshot film was always kept in a cooler.

With regards to you emulsion cracking, how far after taking out the film from the freezer/fridge did you use it?
    I usually let it thaw to room temperature by rubbing the canister in my palm. Probably the rapid temperature increase caused the fracture. But then again, it was a roll of Ilford B&W film which may be gelatin based.