Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: AF possible with TCX2?

  1. #1

    Default AF possible with TCX2?

    Hi, anyone manage to still do AF using TC with 2X multiplication? I'm using Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with Kenko 2X MC7 DG Teleplus Autofocus Teleconverter for Nikon AF, but it doesn't seem to be able to AF even in good lighting condition.

    Pls enlighten me. Thanks a lot!

  2. #2

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Anyone??

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    if it cant af means it cant af, wat more can u do?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    u mean it doesn't AF, or the AF cannot lock on the subject?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    u mean it doesn't AF, or the AF cannot lock on the subject?
    good point, but either way theres nth he can do abt it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by IvT
    Hi, anyone manage to still do AF using TC with 2X multiplication? I'm using Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with Kenko 2X MC7 DG Teleplus Autofocus Teleconverter for Nikon AF, but it doesn't seem to be able to AF even in good lighting condition.

    Pls enlighten me. Thanks a lot!
    use a Sigma 2xTC lor...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    I tried using Kenko pro 1.4x with my lousy 75-300 sigma. cannot focus lock, keep hunting. buy if focusing on bright subject, it works.

    1.4x losses 1 stop of light while 2x losses 2 stops. Minimun for AF to work is f4 according to the TC manual.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    I tried using Kenko pro 1.4x with my lousy 75-300 sigma. cannot focus lock, keep hunting. buy if focusing on bright subject, it works.

    1.4x losses 1 stop of light while 2x losses 2 stops. Minimun for AF to work is f4 according to the TC manual.
    Can cheat by taping the pins....
    But ppl normally use TC with big apperture lenses...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    what happens when you tape the pins?

    for 2x tc, isnt it probable that it'll only be for MF?

  10. #10

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    u mean it doesn't AF, or the AF cannot lock on the subject?
    Ya the AF cannot lock on the subject even at f/2.8. Keeps hunting. Was wondering is it a problem with the TC or is it normally the case.

    DeSwitch: Ya i know but it doesn't seem to work even at the widest aperture (i.e 2.8) was wondering maybe other brands of TC can work. I don't mind using MF when using TC but if its able to lock during AF it helps in taking for example bird in flight...no?

  11. #11

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    good point, but either way theres nth he can do abt it.
    actually I just want to find out whether Autofocus function is disabled once you coupled a TC or that if you use an expensive one like Nikon Teleconverter TC-20E II/20E autofocus is still possible.

    Thanks for dropping by in this thread anywayz.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by IvT
    Ya the AF cannot lock on the subject even at f/2.8. Keeps hunting. Was wondering is it a problem with the TC or is it normally the case.

    DeSwitch: Ya i know but it doesn't seem to work even at the widest aperture (i.e 2.8) was wondering maybe other brands of TC can work. I don't mind using MF when using TC but if its able to lock during AF it helps in taking for example bird in flight...no?
    technically a 2x converter makes the f2.8 lens become a 5.6 lens...

    so if your camera cannot focus with a f5.6, den its the body, not the lens... your focusing system lousy...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    technically a 2x converter makes the f2.8 lens become a 5.6 lens...

    so if your camera cannot focus with a f5.6, den its the body, not the lens... your focusing system lousy...
    Oh i see...i'm using D70s currently. Thanks man!!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    just get a 1.7 TC and solve all your problems!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    You need bright light to focus with a 2xTC..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    You need bright light to focus with a 2xTC..
    i manage to focus with a 50-500 with 2x, f13 at night... hit miss ratio 1:10
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: AF possible with TCX2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i manage to focus with a 50-500 with 2x, f13 at night... hit miss ratio 1:10
    focus on what?a bench in the park?
    or an OWL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •