Thread: Calling all Durian lovers

Default Calling all Durian lovers

Anyone care to share your favourite variety and place of purchase? Used to get some wonderful red meat ones for $1 in Jurong west abt 2 years back but it's a seasonal thing.

Default Re: Calling all Durian lovers

Quote Originally Posted by kenele
    Anyone care to share your favourite variety and place of purchase? Used to get some wonderful red meat ones for $1 in Jurong west abt 2 years back but it's a seasonal thing.
    oooh its the durians season again?
    Lor 17 Geylang or Niu Che Shui.. no other for me

i dun have any particular preference.. though im not a big fan of the bitter-sweet durians
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

variety? seems like D24 is falling in quality. now I like "666" or "cat mountain king".

Upp Serangoon, dunno-what-bank building la, opp. Grapevine(bar and restaurant oh, their rib-eye steak's good and cheap!).

717 trading.

Durian Season!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Nowadays they are shrink wrap and one can't really tell the different or see the shape of the durian. It also taste quite awful compared to the freshly open ones. I tends to like the bitter type, really don't know which type? D169 i think.
    ClonePopular NameOriginCharacteristicsD24-Bukit Merah Reservoir, PerakIt is oval in shape, of average size, weighing between 1 - 2.8kg. per fruit. The skin is green to brownish green and the thorns are sharp and thin. The flesh is yellow, thick and sweet.D99KopThailandThe fruit is round and of average size weighing between 1 - 2kg. per fruit. The skin is green to brownish green and the thorns are short and sharp. The flesh is fairly thick yellow, soft and sweet.D123ChaneeThailandThe fruit is oval in shape and big weighing between 2 - 4kg. per fruit. The skin is green to rust colour and the thorns are big. The flesh is golden yellow, thick, soft and sweet.D145Berserah Durian/ Mek Durian/ Green DurianBeserah, Kuantan, PahangAverage size weighing between 1 - 2kg. per fruit. It is round and nippled at the end. The thorns are long and closely packed and the skin is green. The flesh is golden yellow, soft and sweet.D158Kan YauThailandAverage size weighing between 2 - 4kg. per fruit. The skin is brownish green and the fruit is oval in shape and can be as long as 15 - 17cm. The flesh is golden yellow and sweet.D159'Man Thong'/ Golden PillowThailandThe fruit is large and can reach a weight of 4 - 6kg. per fruit. The fruit is long and oval in shape and curves at the end. The thorns are brownish while the flesh is golden yellow, thick and sweet.D169-KelantanAverage size fruit between 1 - 2kg. each. Longish oval shape with yellowish green skin and sharp thorns. The flesh is yellow, thick and soft with a bitter sweet taste.

why do you buy the shrink wrapped ones?

go get the fresh ones, then they open and pack it for you on the spot and you rush home to eat it or put in the fridge!

Hmm.... Durian is durian to me.

Love durian but not to the point of being so place/brand conscious what I eat.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    Upp Serangoon, dunno-what-bank building la, opp. Grapevine(bar and restaurant oh, their rib-eye steak's good and cheap!).

717 trading.

Durian Season!!!

No doubt. this is the best durian haunt. the d24, sultan and "green bamboo" is best. The "chea Tek or Green bamboo" is very rare. at most is only one basket per trip. Shipment usually arrive around 6 to 7pm daily from pahang.

After tasting durians from here, I never buy durians from other place liao.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    why do you buy the shrink wrapped ones?

go get the fresh ones, then they open and pack it for you on the spot and you rush home to eat it or put in the fridge!
    True but sometime you get amazing deal during closing time i.e 1 for 1 free. The best deal is go plantation and buy. Once went there and had one of the most superd durians there. However, most of the good ones are shipped here.

Go easy on durians, guys. It's very high in saturated fats and those who have high cholestrol should watch out. My cholestrol level shot very high when I feasted on the fruit for 2 solid weeks. According to the dietician, anything more than 2 seeds a week is bad for your cholestrol! 2 seeds, can you imagine that?

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Go easy on durians, guys. It's very high in saturated fats and those who have high cholestrol should watch out. My cholestrol level shot very high when I feasted on the fruit for 2 solid weeks. According to the dietician, anything more than 2 seeds a week is bad for your cholestrol! 2 seeds, can you imagine that?

ur dietician needs to check out his/her brain!

2seeds?! heck, i down 2 durians at one go! and its a disgrace! my frens down at least 3 each!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by kenele
    go to Balestier Road...Tua Peh Kong Temple. There used to be 3 stalls there. But national heritage board asked them to leave. one stall relocated to Ruby Shopping Complex. Another went to Balestier Point. both are 100 metres away.

Try the one at ruby shopping centre. Buy the styrofoam packed ones...they are cheaper cos u don't have to pay for the shells...and the quality is a lot better than geylang or bedok etc etc.