Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulb Exposure

Default Re: Bulb Exposure

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    This means that I had to find a means of holding the shutter button down (by means of diy "button presser")
    Are you saying that you have to have a "special method" to hold the shutter down? Why would you need to do that if the default Bulb mode allows you to have an exposure of 30 minutes?

I mean, when I set my EOS1V to Bulb mode for 30 minutes, I can just trip the shutter and walk off, and return 30 minutes later.
    Last edited by student; 28th February 2006 at 07:52 AM.

Am not sure about the Canon but a remote cord could be used on the D70S and it can be set to 'lock' upon triggering the shutter (and yes, you can walk away).The shutter will close after 30 minutes because that's the maximum bulb exposure time for that camera. IE, you don't have to physically activate the shutter again if you want the max 30 mins.

I guess the same could be achieved by triggering the shutter with the self timer or the IR.

I'm curious though as I've not actually tried exposure longer that 1 minute:

For long exposure (say > 5 mins), does the slightest camera shake come into the equation, ie, is it a factor? Say I mount the gear on a tripod but I trigger it with my finger.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Are you saying that you have to have a "special method" to hold the shutter down? Why would you need to do that if the default Bulb mode allows you to have an exposure of 30 minutes?

I mean, when I set my EOS1V to Bulb mode for 30 minutes, I can just trip the shutter and walk off, and return 30 minutes later.
    becos the D70 bulb mode opens the shutter only when the release button is depressed.. if it is released, the shutter closes. So i have to use a "tool" to hold the button down. not very elegant but it gets the job done. Another way is to use the IR shutter release, 1st press from IR opens, 2nd press closes. But I don't have the IR shutter release. I also doubt the usability becos max time the D70 will wait for IR is only 15mins, after which the feature is turned off.

D70s has a cable release option, but not the D70.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 28th February 2006 at 09:49 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

The Canon RS-60E3 does have a lock function which you can leave it on for the entire duration of the bulb shot, but only thing is....have to time it yourself.

If one is going to do bulb shots regularly, maybe can get a timer remote.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    No, I don't think the exposure is split up. You don't have to use a button pusher with D70/D70s, you need the IR remote control, when you set to the RC mode, the B-mode becomes T-mode, push once to open, push again to close. Care need to be taken not to fog your exposure with the IR beam.
    i see.. i don't own one cos it's always sold out everywhere. and shops that happen to have it sells it exorbitantly.

To yyD70s and yanyewkay.

My apologies for some muddled thinking, re: holding the shutter open in Bulb.

I have been using large format lenses for long exposures for such a long time that I confused it with the SLRs/DSLRs.

In the large format lenses, apart from the "B", which will open as long as you press the shutter (usually with a cable), there is a "T" which will remain open for as long as you want without locking from the cable.
    Last edited by student; 28th February 2006 at 10:52 AM.

student: no apologies needed. we're all here to learn and share knowledge. although you probably know more than i do.

Snoweagle: The E3 remote is probably the cheapest to buy or even DIY, the N3 used in 10D/20D is expensive and hard to DIY becos of the connector. The timer T3 is so expensive that it doesn't make sense (to me) to buy one just for a hobby!

Yup! We're all here to learn and share. That's what these forums are for.

I don't think you can quite make night skies into daylight.. else there wun be anything called star trails and 1 minute is definitely not sufficient.

wow.... what other settings did you use for this shot?

student: no apologies needed. we're all here to learn and share knowledge. although you probably know more than i do.

Snoweagle: The E3 remote is probably the cheapest to buy or even DIY, the N3 used in 10D/20D is expensive and hard to DIY becos of the connector. The timer T3 is so expensive that it doesn't make sense (to me) to buy one just for a hobby!
    That's why if u're taking regularly it's better to get the T3, though not compulsory.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

becos the D70 bulb mode opens the shutter only when the release button is depressed.. if it is released, the shutter closes. So i have to use a "tool" to hold the button down. not very elegant but it gets the job done. Another way is to use the IR shutter release, 1st press from IR opens, 2nd press closes. But I don't have the IR shutter release. I also doubt the usability becos max time the D70 will wait for IR is only 15mins, after which the feature is turned off.

D70s has a cable release option, but not the D70.
    I think it should not revert back if the shutter was still open. Doesn't make sense because the T mode is only available with the IR release mode. If it revert back, then the shutter would close.

Hmm... my camera's Bulb is only 8mins max...

Haha ok so even after all of this discussion (although extremely useful and interesting) I'm not sure that my original question was answered.

When you go outside and look at a scene how do you know how long to expose it? Someone suggested a meter but my guess is that with Bulb shots you wouldn't use one (unless a meter would truly say '8 Hours').

From your discussion it sounds as if you can't really over-expose a Bulb shot unless a light source comes into frame but what makes you look at a scene and say "30 minutes will work" or "I think I'll leave it exposed until the batteries die".

Maybe I'm having trouble understanding this because I'm using daytime photography as a reference where the slightest variation in shutter speeds could ruin the shot. Any more ideas?

Thanks for the feedback and posts... VERY interesting to just sit back and observe.

you did a good job luring out the pros, high commendable

Heh, not sure I'm exactly answering you, or if I can be understood, but the question is of exposure, whether its bulb or not. For really low light exposure, I guess there is more leeway as compared to your daytime exposures, where "slight variation in shutter speeds can ruin your shot" bcoz, well, there is more light
    For eg, for David Langs shot (great shot btw), I would say that even it were exposed to 91, 92s, or 89s, there is very little difference (mind you, 1 or 2s in daytime can be heaven and hell)
    So, finally, what makes you go out to a scene at night and say, "hmm.. 30 minutes will work"? I have no idea

But its interesting cos I didnt realise D70 have a bulb exposure limit of 30min! and some cams have bulb limit of 8mins??

Quote Originally Posted by Rmh159
    Haha ok so even after all of this discussion (although extremely useful and interesting) I'm not sure that my original question was answered.

When you go outside and look at a scene how do you know how long to expose it? Someone suggested a meter but my guess is that with Bulb shots you wouldn't use one (unless a meter would truly say '8 Hours').

From your discussion it sounds as if you can't really over-expose a Bulb shot unless a light source comes into frame but what makes you look at a scene and say "30 minutes will work" or "I think I'll leave it exposed until the batteries die".

Maybe I'm having trouble understanding this because I'm using daytime photography as a reference where the slightest variation in shutter speeds could ruin the shot. Any more ideas?

Thanks for the feedback and posts... VERY interesting to just sit back and observe.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    Heh, not sure I'm exactly answering you, or if I can be understood, but the question is of exposure, whether its bulb or not. For really low light exposure, I guess there is more leeway as compared to your daytime exposures, where "slight variation in shutter speeds can ruin your shot" bcoz, well, there is more light
    For eg, for David Langs shot (great shot btw), I would say that even it were exposed to 91, 92s, or 89s, there is very little difference (mind you, 1 or 2s in daytime can be heaven and hell)
    So, finally, what makes you go out to a scene at night and say, "hmm.. 30 minutes will work"? I have no idea

But its interesting cos I didnt realise D70 have a bulb exposure limit of 30min! and some cams have bulb limit of 8mins??
    It comes with experience. On a moonless night, you can shoot longer, otherwise just need to close down the aperture to shoot even longer. Astrophotographers will know because they shoot this kind of things all the time. Also exposure for film and digital will be different because film will suffer from reciprocity failure, which means that if you used a meter, you cannot scale the exposure by closing down the aperture like you can for exposures faster than 1s.

eg, if you meter the scene and the metering gives you 8" f/1.4, if there is no reciprocity failure, at f/2->16", f/2.8->32", f/4->64", f/5.6->128", f/8->256", f/11->512", f/16->1024"
    But for film, at f/8, instead of 256", you will probably need more than 1024" because of reciprocity failure.

The beauty of digital is that you can "see" the result right away.

By the way, there are exposure guides for night photography easily available by doing a search in Google.

Thanks all!!!

I don't think you can quite make night skies into daylight.. else there wun be anything called star trails and 1 minute is definitely not sufficient.
    yes you can make night skies into daylight
    if you have read dpreview, in their reviews of various dslrs (i.e d60 IIRC), he did a bulb exposure for i think 5 minutes and night became day.

Quote Originally Posted by weesiong
    yes you can make night skies into daylight
    if you have read dpreview, in their reviews of various dslrs (i.e d60 IIRC), he did a bulb exposure for i think 5 minutes and night became day.
    That's what i said earlier on in this thread...i also expose exactly 5mins and the night sky became day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast