Thread: Optical zoom. Izzit important?

Default Optical zoom. Izzit important?

Is optical zoom an important factor when taking pictures? When will it play a big factor? Is zooming most of the time not necessary? 4x, 6x, 8x..... juz how much zoom does these mean?

Need some pro's advice as I'm getting a digicam soon.

general use is 3x. cos this will allow you to shoot group photos or single person shots.
    more zoom is for variety.
    or u can get NO zoom to learn photography the original way.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

For DCs, a rough estimation should be per 1x = 35mm, so it's like 4x = 140mm. Generally, if possible, go for a higher zoom, else you'll end up buying additional tele converters etc.

Look out for optical zoom, not digital. Digital zoom is just like enlarging your image in photoshop, hence degrading the picture quality.

Personal Opinion, more zoom = shoot further.

I could be wrong though.
    Last edited by togu; 24th November 2002 at 08:51 PM.

Originally posted by togu
    For DCs, a rough estimation should be per 1x = 35mm, so it's like 4x = 140mm. Generally, if possible, go for a higher zoom, else you'll end up buying additional tele converters etc.

Look out for optical zoom, not digital. Digital zoom is just like enlarging your image in photoshop, hence degrading the picture quality.

Personal Opinion, more zoom = shoot further.

I could be wrong though.
    yes u r right there!

lookout for optical zoom rather than digital

Default Going to Bangkok. Please advise

Is there like anythign nice to take photos there ?
    Dunno whether wanna bring my C730uz there...very precious...

Default Re: Optical zoom. Izzit important?

Originally posted by Gr|ever
    Is optical zoom an important factor when taking pictures? When will it play a big factor? Is zooming most of the time not necessary? 4x, 6x, 8x..... juz how much zoom does these mean?

Need some pro's advice as I'm getting a digicam soon.
    The 2x,3x etc you see is actually referring to the ratio of the focal length at it's longest to it's focal length at it's widest. For most digital camera, I would think the widest is about 35mm. So a 2x zoom will be 35-70mm, a 3x zoom will be 35-105mm. A 10x super zoom will be 35-350mm. But remember, it's only a ratio, a 100-300 is also a 3x zoom. A 15-30 is a 2x zoom.

Also, do not be mis-lead by the advertisement about digital zoom. All digital camera, I repeat, all digital camera, comes built-in with infinity-X digital zoom, in the form of photoshop

Regards,
    JK

Default Re: Going to Bangkok. Please advise

Originally posted by Blankies
    she males?

Yeah... I know what digital zoom is. It's uselss... that's what it is. sort of...

Thanx for the info from you guys. I assume most digicam out there is the 35mm type. 35mm.... isn't it like, zooming in 3.5cm closer? Er.... is that a lot?

Can I say that around 4X of optical zoom is sufficient most of the time? Hmm... let's say you're going to Jay Chow's concert.. Hahaha... And er, you bought the cheapest tickets. So you end up sitting at the last row of the huge stadium. NOW... will 4X be sufficient?

Default Re: Going to Bangkok. Please advise

Originally posted by Blankies
    sorry...wrong thread

Default Re: Re: Optical zoom. Izzit important?

Originally posted by tanjk

The 2x,3x etc you see is actually referring to the ratio of the focal length at it's longest to it's focal length at it's widest. For most digital camera, I would think the widest is about 35mm. So a 2x zoom will be 35-70mm, a 3x zoom will be 35-105mm. A 10x super zoom will be 35-350mm. But remember, it's only a ratio, a 100-300 is also a 3x zoom. A 15-30 is a 2x zoom.

Also, do not be mis-lead by the advertisement about digital zoom. All digital camera, I repeat, all digital camera, comes built-in with infinity-X digital zoom, in the form of photoshop

Regards,
    JK
    actually the digital zoom got limit...that is around 2000%...or the point where you feel the image is like garbade

Yeah... I know what digital zoom is. It's uselss... that's what it is. sort of...

Thanx for the info from you guys. I assume most digicam out there is the 35mm type. 35mm.... isn't it like, zooming in 3.5cm closer? Er.... is that a lot?

Can I say that around 4X of optical zoom is sufficient most of the time? Hmm... let's say you're going to Jay Chow's concert.. Hahaha... And er, you bought the cheapest tickets. So you end up sitting at the last row of the huge stadium. NOW... will 4X be sufficient?
    You'll probably see some moving objects on the stage then.

Hi, I think you're a little confused here. 35mm camera is referring to a type of camera, as oppose to APS, 6x6, 6x7 etc.

The 35mm that's been referred to here is the focal length of your lens. Most digital camera uses a focal length of 35mm at its widest. So a 2x zoom will means that the camera is capable of any focal length between 35-70mm. Do you do physics in school? If not, in plain simple term, it means that if your lens focal length is at 35mm, it will magnify an object 35mm away from it by exactly 1 time, at a length of 35mm behind it. If your object is at 70mm away, your image will be magify by 0.5 time. I know it's lousy explanation, I don't do very well in physics

Now, let's come back to your Jay problem, 4x may or may not be enough, depending on what's being divided by what ;P A 100-400 may be enough (a 4X zoom at 400mm depending on how far away Jay is) but a 28-105 (roughly 4X zoom) will definitely not be enough. Point here is we must look at absolute numbers, not the zoom ratio ....

Regards,
    JK

Sorry, to add a little correction to my previous post, the focal length of 35mm, when used on a consumer digital camera, is quoted for a '35 mm camera type' equivalent. The physical focal length of your digital camera's lens is much shorter than that. So do not be alarmed when you see 7-21 on your lens when it's advertised as 35-105

For example, my G1's lens is physically 7-21 mm, but that translate to 35-105mm in '35 mm camera type' equivalent.

Regards,
    JK