Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Picking Film Scanner

Bedpan
    Guests

Default Help Picking Film Scanner

Hey Folks..

Sorry for the OT message.. Looking for some help and direction on a film Scanner. Been thinking about getting one for my wife for awhile now.. Might even be this Christmas. Having a hard time coming up with good information about them and was hoping for some help/direction..

She Shoots with an ol'Pentax MX fully manual... Scanning will be done mainly on Negatives, and some slide as well. Medium format option would be nice but not required (ordered a coulpe Holga's to play with). Prefered input would be USB, USB2, or Firewire... No SCSI on wifes laptop, but can add a SCSI card if really required.

Outside of these items.. Price would be the main concern. I don't don't want garbage, nor do I need a drum scanner. Something low cost with a reasonable output. Hoping not to spend more then about $300US..

Any thoughts? I will gladly take specific recommendations (Models) and look them up myself..... Or if you can think of any general resources it would be greatly appreciated! Where is the best place in Singapore to buy?

THanks all!

Mike

Nikon coolscan IV.

OR maybe the Acer Scanwitz, costs less.

Bedpan
    Guests

Hrmmm... Coolscan IV might be a bit overkill ;-)

The Acer (Benq) ScanWit 2740S looks pretty good. Might have to go with the 2720 though to get the price down... Shoot it is SCSI though.. :-(

Any other thoughts?

Originally posted by Zoomer
    Nikon coolscan IV.

OR maybe the Acer Scanwitz, costs less.

u want to scan medium format, you want usb2, you want firewire but you only willing to pay USD300 ?? Sorry, I don't think so.

Bedpan
    Guests

Its a wish list.. I know it won't all come true...

Would prefer USB (1.1 or 2) over SCSI.. Firewire would be great as well.

Medium format would be cool as well.. But I doubt it would really be used all that much...

I do however want reasonable quality output...

One I Have found that might fit the bill is the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. Its selling for $300US.. Anyone have any experience with it? Or where I might get one in Singapore?

Mike

Originally posted by ninelives
    u want to scan medium format, you want usb2, you want firewire but you only willing to pay USD300 ?? Sorry, I don't think so.

I've a ScanWit 2720. Does only 35mm negatives & slides both mounted & unmounted. Pleased with it for the price I paid.

Friend of mine bought the Epson 2450 as he does medium format.
    I've seen the scans..its good. I wd recomment. See review here :

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450p4.htm

good luck

I think for $300US, we're mostly in flatbeds territory except for some like the Minolta offerings. There're some good reviews for the Epson 2450 (about >$800SGD, might as well get the Acer Scanwit) and the Canon 2400uf (about $500SGD).

Canon has 2 new scanners, the 5000f and the 8000f, but not sure if it'll come to singapore. They are listed for $199 and $299 USD respectively. Pretty good bargain I'd say for the specs they have.

I actually emailed Canon Singapore but so far no response from them yet :/

Regards,
    JK

Bedpan
    Guests

As I poke around more and more... Minolta seems to be about the main offering without going to a flatbed format. In this case I would prefer a Upright model as compared to the flatbed..

Anyone have any experience with the Minolta's.. Or have any other suggestions?

Thanks all!!!

Mike

Originally posted by tanjk
    I think for $300US, we're mostly in flatbeds territory except for some like the Minolta offerings. There're some good reviews for the Epson 2450 (about >$800SGD, might as well get the Acer Scanwit) and the Canon 2400uf (about $500SGD).

Canon has 2 new scanners, the 5000f and the 8000f, but not sure if it'll come to singapore. They are listed for $199 and $299 USD respectively. Pretty good bargain I'd say for the specs they have.

I actually emailed Canon Singapore but so far no response from them yet :/

Regards,
    JK

Encino
    Guests

Hi

I got a Minolta dimage Scan dual I and it's working well for me. Give good scan and also easy to use. Cheap and good...where to find. But no Medium Format though.

Originally posted by Bedpan
    Its a wish list.. I know it won't all come true...

Would prefer USB (1.1 or 2) over SCSI.. Firewire would be great as well.
    Actually I would prefer SCSI (10MB/s) over USB 1.1 (1.5MB/s max) cos of the much much faster speed.... it's just not as portable though.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th November 2002 at 12:33 PM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Bedpan
    Guests

Thanks for the feedback... I am leaning towards the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III but I cannot find a lot of info on it.. Where did you buy your Minolta?

Mike

Originally posted by Encino
    Hi

I got a Minolta dimage Scan dual I and it's working well for me. Give good scan and also easy to use. Cheap and good...where to find. But no Medium Format though.

Thanks for the feedback... I am leaning towards the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III but I cannot find a lot of info on it.. Where did you buy your Minolta?

Mike

can this scan 120?

Bedpan
    Guests

Don't Think so.... So the complete wish list may not come true!

Originally posted by klsss

can this scan 120?

Bedpan
    Guests

Believe me I know the technical merits of SCSI over USB, or Firewire for that mater. I work in the IT field and love to keep up with technology. If it where going to be connected to my machine SCSI would be great.. But for the wifes laptop SCSI really is not a great choice. Her ethernet comes via a PCMCIA card taking up the only slot available. To get a SCSI scanner would mean she would have to remove the ethernet card any time she wanted to scan.. Just not a great option.. Although possible if the right scanner shows up!

Cheer!

Mike

Originally posted by mpenza

Actually I would prefer SCSI (10MB/s) over USB 1.1 (1.5MB/s max) cos of the much much faster speed.... it's just not as portable though.

Mike

www.minoltausa.com

www.minoltaeurope.com

Bedpan
    Guests

Was reading the Minolta page.. Does not appear anywhere on the SG website... Guess I will have to send them a email..

Thanks..

Mike

Originally posted by ninelives

www.minoltausa.com

www.minoltaeurope.com

Believe me I know the technical merits of SCSI over USB, or Firewire for that mater. I work in the IT field and love to keep up with technology. If it where going to be connected to my machine SCSI would be great.. But for the wifes laptop SCSI really is not a great choice. Her ethernet comes via a PCMCIA card taking up the only slot available. To get a SCSI scanner would mean she would have to remove the ethernet card any time she wanted to scan.. Just not a great option.. Although possible if the right scanner shows up!

Cheer!

Mike

Got to admit that I miss out the part about your wife's lack of SCSI card on her laptop (I didn't know about lack of built-in ethernet port).

I did mention the portability problem though. As mentioned the speed difference over USB1.1 is great. A high resolution slide/negative scan on a SCSI II scanner may take 30s (assuming the hardisk is fast enough to get the data), but on a USB1.1 one (assuming the same scanner hardware with the same mechanical performance), it's may take more than 3 mins. Multiply that by a roll of 36 slides, and you're looking at almost 100 mins difference for something that could possibly be done within 18 mins with a faster-interfaced scanner.

Just something to keep in mind.

Anyway, if your wife's laptop supports firewall or USB2.0, go for scanners with these interface!

(PS: my qualifications won't lose out to most people here)

Bedpan
    Guests

I did not share a lot of details at first.. Just an overview... The scanner that has sort of caught my eye right now is the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III which is USB2.0... No the wife does not have USB 2 (just 1.1) but its nice to know the speed is there at a later time when we do finally upgrade here machine...

Fortunate for me the wife is a FAR more patient person then I am... Else she would not be with me I am sure ;-) And lets hope the patients last to bare with scanning at USB1.1 speeds!

Mike

Got to admit that I miss out the part about your wife's lack of SCSI card on her laptop (I didn't know about lack of built-in ethernet port).

I did mention the portability problem though. As mentioned the speed difference over USB1.1 is great. A high resolution slide/negative scan on a SCSI II scanner may take 30s (assuming the hardisk is fast enough to get the data), but on a USB1.1 one (assuming the same scanner hardware with the same mechanical performance), it's may take more than 3 mins. Multiply that by a roll of 36 slides, and you're looking at almost 100 mins difference for something that could possibly be done within 18 mins with a faster-interfaced scanner.

Just something to keep in mind.

Anyway, if your wife's laptop supports firewall or USB2.0, go for scanners with these interface!

(PS: my qualifications won't lose out to most people here)

I did not share a lot of details at first.. Just an overview... The scanner that has sort of caught my eye right now is the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III which is USB2.0... No the wife does not have USB 2 (just 1.1) but its nice to know the speed is there at a later time when we do finally upgrade here machine...

Fortunate for me the wife is a FAR more patient person then I am... Else she would not be with me I am sure ;-) And lets hope the patients last to bare with scanning at USB1.1 speeds!

Mike

Hope you could get the scanner at a good rate Didn't think I see much of Minolt scanners around though so the price could be a bit high due to lack of supply.

Bedpan
    Guests

And thats my concern right now... I don't really want to have to order from overseas... So I am still looking for other options...

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks all!

Mike

Hope you could get the scanner at a good rate Didn't think I see much of Minolt scanners around though so the price could be a bit high due to lack of supply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast